Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Niagara Falls

busylady

Post Wed, Jul 02 2008, 10:21 pm
Anyone ever vacation there? We want to go for a week or so, but I need more info. Is there anywhere kosher/minyanim for shabbos? If we just go for the weekdays, does anyone know of a nice hotel that is kid friendly. I don't mind if it's not in the center of things. I'd rather pay less and drive to get where I need to go. Any suggestions? reccomendations?? advice??

tovasmom

Post Wed, Jul 02 2008, 10:32 pm
We went 2 years ago. We stayed in Buffalo, which is about 20 minutes from Niagra, and stayed in a suite hotel which was right across the street from The Young Israel of Buffalo so dh and my ds's had a minyan available. Likewise there is a Tops market down the road which at that time had a kosher deli counter with a reliable hashgacha and packaged stuff (rubashkin, meal mart, cholov yisroel). We stayed for a whole week as the suite hotel gave us a duplex suite with a full kitchen, so we kashered the oven and stove and I cooked even for shabbat. There are tons of things to do in Niagra, on both the US and Canadian side, but you need to check what kind of ID you need now to go to Canada, as in the old days you could go just on a birth certificate if you were driving, but these regulations have changed. Everyone had a blast and if you can take the long drive, I would definitely recommend it!

Maya

Post Wed, Jul 02 2008, 10:32 pm
We went there two years ago, and are going again this year. It's a beautiful trip. There are minyanim in some hotels every morning and evening, and there is a kosher pizza shop. I'm not sure about Shabbos, though. I also can't help you with the hotels issues, as we're not taking along any kids.

busylady

Post Wed, Jul 02 2008, 11:04 pm
tovasmom, do you know the name of the place you stayed in?
Thank You

tovasmom

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 10:48 am
It was the Marriot Residence Inn. (716) 632-6622 or (800) 228-9290. The Young Israel of Buffalo has a website with some good info about Kashrut, hotels, attractions in the area, it is www.yibuffalo.org. Have fun!

pink car

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 11:03 am
you can check out http://www.chabadniagara.com/ for more details as far as hotels for shabbos and food and there is a minyan in niagara falls every day.

there is a new kosher restaurant that opened last year, besides the pizza shop.

good luck!
Niagara falls is beautiful

Rivky

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 11:05 am
We stayed in the Hilton. Twas a beautiful hotel. There were some shuls around-duno bout shabbos. The pizza shop there is yummy. Theres a chabad restaurant there too.

JRKmommy

Post Fri, Jul 04 2008, 3:48 pm
On the Canadian side, there's a meat restaurant (Mendy's) and King David Pizza and Falafel. We just ate at King David on July 1, and it was great - they even had salmon fillet.

Chabad of Niagara does Shabbos services at the Doubletree hotel. They serve Fri. night dinner and Shabbos kiddush/lunch there.

For during the week - I stayed at the Marriot Fallsview when it first opened in 1998. The views are fantastic, since it directly overlooks the Falls. If you're with kids, however, getting a suite a bit away from the falls would be more economical. If the kids are into waterparks, there are several hotels that have them: the Americana and Great Wolf Lodge both have their own, and the Sheraton, Hilton, Hamptom Inn and Fallsview Inn share access to the Fallsview Indoor Waterpark.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics