Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Would you buy this couch?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 12:02 pm
We really need a new couch.
Our relative just bought this but decided it doesn’t look good in the room they put it in. They are willing to sell it to us at half price. It’s basically new.
I know it’s not in style… but is it that bad?
We are in our 30’s. Our relatives are in their 60’s….
Please be honest.

https://www.ashleyfurniture.co.....sz=30

amother
Canary

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 12:05 pm
I didn't know there are in style sofa's, but this isn't bad at all. I'd definitely get this.

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 12:08 pm
It looks super comfy! Go for it

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 12:10 pm
I don’t know… it sort of reminds me of furniture for an older persons house… maybe because that’s where it’s coming from?

amother
Natural

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 12:11 pm
I’m 25, I personally wouldn’t buy this couch at full price, however at half price and depending on my finances I’d maybe get it. It’s definitely not terrible. However do think about staining since it’s not leather.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 12:27 pm
I just bought a $4000 sectional in leather that is similar to this style. I could have opted for a more modern one but the couches that manually recline all tend to look like this. I opted for comfort rather than style.

Amalia

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 12:32 pm
Hi OP,

I don’t know what’s in style now in furniture and what isn’t but this is my take on your question: only buy this couch at half price if you would be willing to buy it at full price. Otherwise you will end up with something you don’t really like but already spent money on.

Amarante

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 12:35 pm
I don't think this is an older person's style necessarily. It is a very casual style - and not an "elegant" style so it typically is used in less formal settings.

Keep in mind that this is essentially a love seat as it will only seat two people but it takes up a lot of room because it is bulky. It is essentially two recliners which is nice for a couple but maybe not so great for a family or if you have visitors since it doesn't supply much seating for its actual size.

Whether you buy it from them really depends on how badly you need a sofa and also what is in the rest of the room and how you intend to use it

Do you want to decorate around a gray sofa for starters?

amother
Daffodil

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 12:37 pm
amother Natural wrote:
I’m 25, I personally wouldn’t buy this couch at full price, however at half price and depending on my finances I’d maybe get it. It’s definitely not terrible. However do think about staining since it’s not leather.

I used to be very pro leather because you can wipe it, but after having repeated couches crack/peel, even my high end ones.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 12:37 pm
Amalia wrote:
Hi OP,

I don’t know what’s in style now in furniture and what isn’t but this is my take on your question: only buy this couch at half price if you would be willing to buy it at full price. Otherwise you will end up with something you don’t really like but already spent money on.

Smart advice
Also is this for the living room or for the play room? If for the living room only get something you absolutely love even if you need to wait a while. The right one will come.
Whats the final price?

Amarante

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 12:47 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
I used to be very pro leather because you can wipe it, but after having repeated couches crack/peel, even my high end ones.

Not sure what your definition of high end is - not being snarky but just that there is such a wide range of prices and quality levels.

Good leather doesn't crack or peel although you probably should maintain leather properly so it doesn't crack because it is too dry. Good leather can't peel so you probably had bonded or split grain leather leather which literally is a thin layer of "leather" bonded to some kind of backing so it can't stand up to use.

Highest quality leather furniture is made from full grain leather and top grain is just a step below that - it is the kind of leather that you see on older pieces where the leather has acquired a lovely patina

When you invest in furniture - and good furniture is an "investment" you should ask about how the furniture was constructed - what the frame is made of; what the springs are; what kind of "leather" is used and if you use fabric you should ask about the "rub test" in terms of assessing durability.

Some information on bonded leather versus "real" leather

Bonded leather is a cheaper alternative to top grain leather, and this is usually reflected in the price. Bonded leather is not as good but does come with a much cheaper price tag. Bonded leather is made from offcuts and smaller hides that are bonded or stuck together using adhesive before being attached to a polyurethane overlay. Because this type of leather does not have the same level of stretch or flexibility as real leather, the synthetic overlay can peel away.

Some argue that bonded leather is not real leather at all. However, while it differs from genuine leather, it is also a step above what would be regarded as ‘fake’ leather. This is material that has no genuine leather constituent and is entirely made using artificial materials such as PVC or PU. This kind of fake leather is generally cheaper still and will behave in a different way to both bonded and genuine leather. Fake leather has very little endurance and flexibility and will generally start to degrade after a short time, often as little as a few months.

So, does genuine leather peel?

The leather itself, if it is 100% genuine, should never peel. There is no part of the material that will come away from the rest in a peeling fashion (apart from surface treatments). Leather can degrade and become more fragile, however, if it dries out and is not cared for correctly. That’s why it is so important to treat your products such as your leather armchair or sofa with a leather conditioner or moisturizer around once a year. Proper care and maintenance can prevent such issues from occurring.

If your leather sofa is peeling, then chances are it is actually a bonded leather product made from a lower grade leather backing, or that there is some kind of treatment or pigment/finish that is coming off the leather surface. It should be possible to remove this pigment or treatment using specialized leather cleaning products. But if you are unsure and want to protect your furniture, you can always enlist the help of a professional furniture cleaner or leather restorer.

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, May 10 2023, 1:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 12:51 pm
It's not my style as I like leather
But YOU need to like it! You know your taste. Trust your gut feeling.
Personally I like to to go for classical pieces only, not fashion.
Do your have small kids?

amother
Ultramarine

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 12:55 pm
I don't mind the couch, but I'm not the one buying it .
I will say that in the past I have been gifted items that I didn't love initially, but with the right styling they looked great and I grew to really like them.
If you have a friend who is really good at homestyling, maybe ask her for suggestions as to how to style your lounge. A few non expensive items might make all the difference.

ChutzPAh

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 1:43 pm
You also need to factor in that it will cost you money to move it.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 1:47 pm
Amarante wrote:
Not sure what your definition of high end is - not being snarky but just that there is such a wide range of prices and quality levels.

Good leather doesn't crack or peel although you probably should maintain leather properly so it doesn't crack because it is too dry. Good leather can't peel so you probably had bonded or split grain leather leather which literally is a thin layer of "leather" bonded to some kind of backing so it can't stand up to use.

Highest quality leather furniture is made from full grain leather and top grain is just a step below that - it is the kind of leather that you see on older pieces where the leather has acquired a lovely patina

When you invest in furniture - and good furniture is an "investment" you should ask about how the furniture was constructed - what the frame is made of; what the springs are; what kind of "leather" is used and if you use fabric you should ask about the "rub test" in terms of assessing durability.

Some information on bonded leather versus "real" leather

Bonded leather is a cheaper alternative to top grain leather, and this is usually reflected in the price. Bonded leather is not as good but does come with a much cheaper price tag. Bonded leather is made from offcuts and smaller hides that are bonded or stuck together using adhesive before being attached to a polyurethane overlay. Because this type of leather does not have the same level of stretch or flexibility as real leather, the synthetic overlay can peel away.

Some argue that bonded leather is not real leather at all. However, while it differs from genuine leather, it is also a step above what would be regarded as ‘fake’ leather. This is material that has no genuine leather constituent and is entirely made using artificial materials such as PVC or PU. This kind of fake leather is generally cheaper still and will behave in a different way to both bonded and genuine leather. Fake leather has very little endurance and flexibility and will generally start to degrade after a short time, often as little as a few months.

So, does genuine leather peel?

The leather itself, if it is 100% genuine, should never peel. There is no part of the material that will come away from the rest in a peeling fashion (apart from surface treatments). Leather can degrade and become more fragile, however, if it dries out and is not cared for correctly. That’s why it is so important to treat your products such as your leather armchair or sofa with a leather conditioner or moisturizer around once a year. Proper care and maintenance can prevent such issues from occurring.

If your leather sofa is peeling, then chances are it is actually a bonded leather product made from a lower grade leather backing, or that there is some kind of treatment or pigment/finish that is coming off the leather surface. It should be possible to remove this pigment or treatment using specialized leather cleaning products. But if you are unsure and want to protect your furniture, you can always enlist the help of a professional furniture cleaner or leather restorer.

Agreed. Genuine leather will not peel.

Many people think bonded leather is genuine leather.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 1:54 pm
As a new mom, I will caution you to take spit up into account. We got a fabric couch a while back, and now it’s is seriously stained. In his defense, my baby has gastro issues and throws up way more than most baby’s spit up, but it is definitely something to consider. Not just spit up, but little kids (and even big kids and adults) who might eat on the couch and spill or make messes, etc.

max

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 2:32 pm
I purchased a similar style but custom made in green leather a couch and a loveseat for a large amount of money I would have preferred a different style but I selected that style not for the look but for the comfort level. We live in an apartment so there is no den or spare room the living room couch was purchased for comfort at the end of a work day and a comfy place to lounge on Shabbos and Sunday. My personal comfort matters to me more than the classic look of a modern couch or classic chesterfield that is definitely not as comfortable!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics