Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
When does wfh with a baby become too hard?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 4:51 am
I’ve been able to work from home with my baby for a good few months. My boss is okay with me changing diapers and feeding as long as it doesn’t take up too much of my time. BH he is a very calm baby so he’s happy except when he’s hungry or needs to be changed. I’m wondering when the cutoff will be that I won’t be able to work with him home anymore. First child so I’m not really clear on when it’ll get harder and why. For now he’s not at all mobile. Once he starts crawling and walking, maybe I can keep him in a big playpen or a safe room while watching him and he’ll just play with toys all day?

What is needed to keep a mobile baby happy all day? Is it possible to work while doing it?

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 5:00 am
I worked from home with a baby for many years. My rule was once they stop napping, I would send them out. I got most of my work done during that long morning nap which would be 2-3 hours.
At first I tried keeping my babies home with me but it really wasn’t fair to them or to me.
One memory I have is of a baby crawling over to my computer and pushing the power button. The baby did nothing wrong but it was frustrating.
The older they get, the more attention/stimulation they will need during the day.
Each baby is different but you will probably have to make some changes between 12-18 months.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 5:07 am
I know this isn't what you asked but a baby over 12mo old who isn't crawling yet qualifies for early intervention.

That aside, I don't think it's so fair to your baby to do more than an hour or 2 of spaced out work a day while they're awake. A one year old needs stimulation beyond a 2-3 min break to change a diaper or take out a new toy every so often. I wfh with babies too but have either cut hours or sent out when they start crawling at 7/8mo. I'd be even more concerned about providing the care and stimulation (whether by you or a babysitter) if the baby has a delay

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 5:17 am
amother Hawthorn wrote:
I know this isn't what you asked but a baby over 12mo old who isn't crawling yet qualifies for early intervention.

That aside, I don't think it's so fair to your baby to do more than an hour or 2 of spaced out work a day while they're awake. A one year old needs stimulation beyond a 2-3 min break to change a diaper or take out a new toy every so often. I wfh with babies too but have either cut hours or sent out when they start crawling at 7/8mo. I'd be even more concerned about providing the care and stimulation (whether by you or a babysitter) if the baby has a delay

I don’t think she said how old her baby is.
Maybe it’s a 4 month old?

amother
Hawthorn

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 5:19 am
amother Seashell wrote:
I don’t think she said how old her baby is.
Maybe it’s a 4 month old?

The title is "wfh with a one year old"

Id assume she's not asking about a setup 8mo from now

amother
Catmint

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 5:27 am
How many hours of the day are you meant to be working?
I have tried this and at a certain point it does not work.
I would almost get angry at my baby if they didn’t sleep longer enough etc since I needed to work.
It creates a bad dynamic for mom and baby.
Also are you able to cultivate a good environment for baby if your working from home with him

amother
Hunter

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 5:47 am
amother Hawthorn wrote:
The title is "wfh with a one year old"

Id assume she's not asking about a setup 8mo from now

But she is. Her baby is an infant now but she wants to know till what stage it would be feasible to keep baby home, because I guess she needs to make plans for next year when baby turns 1.

amother
Crocus

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 5:55 am
amother Hunter wrote:
But she is. Her baby is an infant now but she wants to know till what stage it would be feasible to keep baby home, because I guess she needs to make plans for next year when baby turns 1.

How do you know? I’d also assume off of OPs title that the baby is one, so maybe she needs to clarify

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 5:56 am
amother Hunter wrote:

This. You’re smart for figuring it out! Sorry, my post was unclear. I changed the title.

amother
Calendula

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 6:27 am
Once my baby is around 9 months working from home becomes impossible for me. I end up doing the bulk of the work at night when baby sleeps. It's stressful cuz I don't want to send her out yet due to nursing. Hatzlacha in your decision making!

amother
Hunter

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 6:47 am
amother Crocus wrote:
How do you know? I’d also assume off of OPs title that the baby is one, so maybe she needs to clarify

It's obvious based on the context of OP's first post.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics