Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
DS only wants to play with girls...
Previous  1  2

erm

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 4:09 pm
amother Aster wrote:
According to Halacha, a boy of 9 can’t touch a girl over 3…

That is not the halacha

amother
Peony

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 4:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you everyone for your replies.
He was diagnosed 3 years ago with ASD. But the diagnosis didn't sit right with us since he's so normal in other ways.
He was recently diagnosed with ADHD-meaning he wasn't picking up social cues and nuances other boys did over the years.
If not for him getting in his sister's way I would wait it out. But I can't have him ruining her friendship with the neighbors.

Pear, I like the way you put it down. That till he understands what's wrong it's a chok.
I have to really put my foot down.
It's just so hard to do cuz he really enjoys playing with the girls. And they love playing with him, too.
With the girls he's a natural leader.

Was the diagnosis changed or just added to? Because social cues are a lot more related to HFA than ADHD.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 4:27 pm
I just want to say that a person can be normal in many many ways and still be on the spectrum.
There needs to be more awareness about high functioning autism.

amother
Glitter

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 4:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you everyone for your replies.
He was diagnosed 3 years ago with ASD. But the diagnosis didn't sit right with us since he's so normal in other ways.
He was recently diagnosed with ADHD-meaning he wasn't picking up social cues and nuances other boys did over the years.
If not for him getting in his sister's way I would wait it out. But I can't have him ruining her friendship with the neighbors.

Pear, I like the way you put it down. That till he understands what's wrong it's a chok.
I have to really put my foot down.
It's just so hard to do cuz he really enjoys playing with the girls. And they love playing with him, too.
With the girls he's a natural leader.

There is a big difference between ASD and HFASD. If he was diagnosed with it, the odds are that he has some aspects of it. There is a lot of misunderstanding and confusion. He doesn't need to be weird or strange. Check out this website and see if you relate https://asd-space.com/

He may have a dual diagnosis but generally speaking a person can have HFASD and be perfectly normal or even ahead of normal in many ways.
Unless he is exhibiting other ADHD behaviors, what you are describing is more ASD than ADHD

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 9:50 pm
amother Glitter wrote:
There is a big difference between ASD and HFASD. If he was diagnosed with it, the odds are that he has some aspects of it. There is a lot of misunderstanding and confusion. He doesn't need to be weird or strange. Check out this website and see if you relate https://asd-space.com/

He may have a dual diagnosis but generally speaking a person can have HFASD and be perfectly normal or even ahead of normal in many ways.
Unless he is exhibiting other ADHD behaviors, what you are describing is more ASD than ADHD

He definitely has other symptoms of ADHD; hyperactivity, impulsivity, hard time concentrating.
Socially, he misses social cues. He will ask inappropriate questions. He is shy in the wrong situations.
The psychologist he is seeing now says that this is all due to his ADHD. He wasn't aware of his surroundings all these years. He didn't pick up on behaviors and nuances of his peers.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 9:51 pm
Anyone has a child like this who outgrew these behaviors?
Are they still 'different' when grown up?
Or has anyone seen a child like this become fully mainstream?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics