Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Son was denied HCBS services.What now (Rockland))

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 3:19 pm
I was just informed that insurance is denying services.
The truth is that the agency I went through didn't do anything for him even though they said they tried and couldn't get anyone to work with my son.
My question is would going to another agency make a difference?
I signed up to get tutoring and respite but I got nothing
A few months he had martial arts but that didn't last long because they didn't have a contract anymore with the agency because they weren't paying enough.
Do all the same agencies provide the same services?
My friend said her son got a scooter and other stuff. My son gets nothing but going on the chol hamoed trip.

amother
Fern

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 3:42 pm
The DOH has cracked down on HCBS services
They've come out with clarifications [read: new regulations which they will now enforce]
It was never meant to be what people have gotten and people will be disqualified now with only those who were meant to get the services getting it

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 3:45 pm
I'm not in Rockland but I applied for hcbs 6 months ago and still not approved
I only survived this school year because every day I thought I will get a call that it went thru.
I'm genuinely drowning. And yes I have cleaning help. I don't need a scooter. I need my kids to get extra-curricular activities and attention

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 4:34 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
I'm not in Rockland but I applied for hcbs 6 months ago and still not approved
I only survived this school year because every day I thought I will get a call that it went thru.
I'm genuinely drowning. And yes I have cleaning help. I don't need a scooter. I need my kids to get extra-curricular activities and attention

I know what you mean.
I was just using the scooter as an example.
I also need my child to get tutors and respite.
I need someone to take him out and do something with him for his well being and mine.
The tutor they got was a joke. Didn’t help him at all just played games with him and it only lasted two weeks.
Does one agency pay differently than another agency?

amother
Holly

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 4:35 pm
amother Fern wrote:
The DOH has cracked down on HCBS services
They've come out with clarifications [read: new regulations which they will now enforce]
It was never meant to be what people have gotten and people will be disqualified now with only those who were meant to get the services getting it

Who is qualified now and actually getting services? And who are they disqualifying?

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 5:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
I was just informed that insurance is denying services.
The truth is that the agency I went through didn't do anything for him even though they said they tried and couldn't get anyone to work with my son.
My question is would going to another agency make a difference?
I signed up to get tutoring and respite but I got nothing
A few months he had martial arts but that didn't last long because they didn't have a contract anymore with the agency because they weren't paying enough.
Do all the same agencies provide the same services?
My friend said her son got a scooter and other stuff. My son gets nothing but going on the chol hamoed trip.

Does your kid legit need HCBS services? Or do you want the free perks? If your kid really needs it you can try another agency.

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 5:42 pm
amother Holly wrote:
Who is qualified now and actually getting services? And who are they disqualifying?

I needed a letter that my kids are in therapy. Which they are. Regardless of hcbs they'd be in therapy.

amother
Ballota

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 6:33 pm
I predict more people will move to Florida for the services for special kids.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 6:34 pm
amother Ballota wrote:

New York STILL gives more services than anywhere else. No comparison. Things like HCBS don't even exist anywhere else.

amother
DarkRed

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 6:37 pm
amother Ballota wrote:

Um. What services? I live in FL and most people with SN kids move to other states because of the lack of options here. You can get a few thousand dollars a year once the child is age five and up but it doesn't go very far when nothing else is offered. And there are minimal choices when it comes to schools.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 7:28 pm
There is a major lack of respite providers. It’s a hard job with low pay.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 7:38 pm
I'm in Brooklyn, but just today my hcbs cas manager was telling me that insurance is now denying so many children who really need it. They're cutting hours left and right from kids who already have and denying new applicants and even some renewals. My manager told me the agency may require their clients to switch insurance. I currently have fidelis.

amother
Broom

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 7:48 pm
Can we just be clear that HCBS services the OP is talking about was not designed for special needs. It was designed for children with either accute medical issues or accute mental health issues. The community has been milking this program to get free tutoring, extracurricular activities, and pay tuition, etc. The state has woken up to this and as a result, gotten tougher on eligibility. Its possible this is why your child was denied.

amother
Ballota

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 8:03 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
Um. What services? I live in FL and most people with SN kids move to other states because of the lack of options here. You can get a few thousand dollars a year once the child is age five and up but it doesn't go very far when nothing else is offered. And there are minimal choices when it comes to schools.

I'm in Florida and my son is getting 3 hours a week of OT and 3 of ST through Medicaid and now I'm applying for gardiner for tutoring for him too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)