Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Night job

amother

Post Sun, Jul 06 2008, 11:02 pm
I feel quilty. I need help and support. A job literaly landed on my lap. It's something I love to do. It gives me a chance to go out and meet people. (I'm new in this city). I was begged to do it. B"H I do not have to send baby to sitter. What's the problem then.. ? Big time problem.. It's a night job. Twice a week after the 2 babies are settled for the night. I'm still able to serve supper for everybody.......But the guilt........(Family and children and husband are very supportive.) Need support.

ChutzPAh

Post Sun, Jul 06 2008, 11:52 pm
If your kids and husband support you, then you have your answer already. Besides, it's not every evening, it's only 2.

yummydd

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 12:30 am
By night do you mean overnight? You have to make sure that you will be able to continue being a functional wife and mother.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 5:09 am
Why the guilt if you even serve supper?
Actually I think it's better to work at night when the kids are in bed! and you'll be paid much more, right?

Now, it's just that long term it's not healthy. But for some time, it's great!

ora_43

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 7:39 am
I don't understand why you would feel guilty. Can you explain?

Having worked some late night and early morning shifts, though, I do want to warn you it can be very detrimental to the rest of your schedule. You will need a babysitter (assuming your babies are home during the day) on mornings after you've worked so that you can rest. The fact that you don't sleep for two nights a week will probably affect your sleep schedule in general. For example, if you work from 11 pm- 6 am and then sleep from 7am-1pm, you might find it very difficult to go to sleep that night (that is, the night after you woke up at 1pm). You can make it easier to sleep at night by depriving yourself of sleep on days after you've worked overnight (ex, sleeping from 7am-11:30am only), but that can leave you unproductive during the day, it depends how well you function without sleep.

I'm not trying to scare you here, the job sounds great and hopefully everything will work out. I just find that it's best to think about the downsides and the sleep issue beforehand, especially so that you can have babysitting lined up if necessary. And think about what kind of person you are when it comes to sleep and getting by without sleep--night shifts tend to work best for people who can sleep anytime, anywhere and who can get by on 5 hours of sleep (once or twice a week, not every day) without a problem.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 9:42 am
Sorry I have to explain myself better. I teach adults two evening a week from 7:00 till 10:30 p.m

myfriends715

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 9:55 am
so what's the problem? why are you feeling guolty? sounds great!

zigi

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 9:59 am
sounds really good you get a break 2 nights a week and get paid to do something constructive. enjoy and good luck!

amother

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 10:07 am
op here

Thanks for support I feel alot lighter about it. thanks

ora_43

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 10:12 am
OK, sorry, my advice was totally off. When you said "night job" I assumed you meant night shift, like 10pm-6am. Ignore me please embarrassed .

The job offer sounds great, and it sounds like it will only help you and your family. B'hatzlacha.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics