Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
ADHD friendly jobs?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 2:39 am
I need a job that works with my ADHD and I'm hoping someone here has an idea for me.

Me in general:
I'm good at writing, editing, math, and finding information. My job experience so far all involves a combination of those things.
I'm an introvert. Working from home is fine. I'd rather not have a job that's all about working with other people eg handling phone calls all day.
I have a BSc. I'd prefer a job that doesn't require another degree.
I'm decent with computers but can't handle the attention to detail needed for programming.

ADHD issues:
I need novelty. If I'm working on the same project for over 2 months my brain digs in its heels and stops.
I need guidance. I absolutely can't be my own boss. I get too many new ideas and can literally forget old projects completely.
I need things to be busy.
I am terrible at administrative work. Reporting my own hours is the absolute maximum of what I can handle there.

Not an issue:
My working memory is good. I can juggle a lot of things at once.
I can handle very busy high-stress work environments (I love very busy high stress work environments)

Since meds tend to come up I'll add: so far I haven't found any meds that work for me. They all exacerbate other health issues I have. I'm still looking but it's a long process.

LisaS

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 2:47 am
You said programming is not for you, but what about QA or being an IT manager? QA is finding problems with something someone else made. While you are not creating anything, you have to be creative in finding the weak points that someone else forgot about. IT has to put out fires, deal with unexpected problems, do something different each day.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 4:44 pm
Bumping this up for the evening crowd, any more ideas?

amother
Burntblack

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 4:45 pm
The title of this thread is literally the Google search I do every other week when I'm going bonkers from my job TMI LOL

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 4:58 pm
No ideas but definitely following this thread.

I could've written your post, OP.

amother
Celeste

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 5:16 pm
How about content writing for a marketing agency? I’m a lot like you and this is great for me. There’s lots of variety in the projects and they’re usually quick to complete, plus I work with the design team so they’re there to hold me accountable. I can be working on several diverse projects at once so it keeps my brain stimulated.

amother
Clover

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 5:20 pm
I was a triage-er on a help desk which worked really well for me. The high and low stress periods were good and I also got a dopamine hit from assigning out the help desk tasks. It may work for you.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 7:28 pm
I'm actually a bookkeeper/ controller, love math and I'm and introvert and work in a small office. There are some task that are always there and mundane and I plow through them but there is always something to do. Depending on time of year tasks and pressure change. I have to say it's quite a challenging job to do with adhd . Thank god for my meds...

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 7:40 pm
Would being a teachers assistant for young kids suit you? Novelty every minute, not your own supervisor, preschoolers are non-threatening little people, and juggling/creativity is a tremendous plus. There’s always what to be done, either with supplies and preparation or tending to littles, and while it can be high-stress sometimes, it’s just another flavor of high stress.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics