Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Veg Sushi Making for Newbies
Previous  1  2

farmom

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 1:02 pm
amother OP wrote:

Also, does it make a difference if I use regular rice vinegar vs seasoned?

Are you adding seasoning to your rice vinegar? You can season it yourself, with sugar and salt. You definitely want to do that (or use prepared) to get the right flavor

little neshamala

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 2:24 pm
Does rinsing the rice well help it stay together? Ive rinsed the rice, but quite quickly. My one difficulty with making sushi is that I do manage to make the rolls (I like rice on the outside, seaweed inside) and they look nice, but as soon as I start slicing the roll, the rice all falls apart.
What am I doing wrong? Is rinsing well a factor here? I do use seasoned rice vinegar...

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 3:41 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Does rinsing the rice well help it stay together? Ive rinsed the rice, but quite quickly. My one difficulty with making sushi is that I do manage to make the rolls (I like rice on the outside, seaweed inside) and they look nice, but as soon as I start slicing the roll, the rice all falls apart.
What am I doing wrong? Is rinsing well a factor here? I do use seasoned rice vinegar...

Sounds like you need a sharper (non serrated) knife.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 3:57 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Sounds like you need a sharper (non serrated) knife.

Is it also true to rinse the knife in warm water between cuts?
Also, not just to slice down but to give a back and forth cut?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 8:18 pm
Sorry! Hopefully the last question since I definitely see improvements since I started following everyone's tips and advice...
If I use seasoned rice vinegar (instead of regular rice vinegar +salt+ sugar,) at what point would I add it to the rice and how much of it per cup of rice? Would it be while the rice is cooled or while it's cooling off after it boiled and steamed?

Thank you for everyone's help!

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 8:33 pm
I use rice viengar combined with sugar and salt. Very tasty!
Place the rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat, stirring, until dissolved. Set aside and allow to come to room temp. (Alternatively, mix in a small bowl and heat in the microwave on high for 30 to 45 seconds.)
Transfer rice to a large shallow non metallic bowl. Sprinkle dissolved vinegar mixture over the rice, and cut through with flat wooden spoon. Try not to mix in a circular motion, but rather in a way that keeps the grains separated.
Cover with damp cloth and let rest for 10 minutes or up to 3 hours.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen