Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
My 13 year old didn’t get the period yet..
Previous  1  2

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 8:02 am
No worries. I got mine at 14 almost 15.

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 8:10 am
In “Anne of Green Gables” Anne gets hers at 14.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 9:01 am
sequoia wrote:
In “Anne of Green Gables” Anne gets hers at 14.

Wow, I'm surprised I forgot that when I reread it just a couple of years ago, that seems like a story that would interest me.

I got mine at 14 too, closer to 15 IIRC. And I still made stupid beginners' mistakes. I figure it's a blessing to get it older.

amother
Iris

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 9:53 am
If she is already developed for over a year and still didn't get her period that can be a cause for concern. Discuss with your pediatrician or take her to an endocrinologist. If she still didn't start developing, chances are she is a late bloomer and no reason for concern yet at this age.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 10:23 am
One dd got hers at 14 other dd 16. I had asked my ob/gyn if I should start to worry and she replied that it was very normal.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 10:25 am
I was 15

amother
Chicory

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 10:30 am
amother OP wrote:
Should I be nervous if my 13 year old didn’t get the period yet and she is developed?

Please give specific details. What you describe as "developed" may not be "developed" after all. If she is truly as developed as a woman: chest, hips, etc.. and has had no vaginal secretions whatsoever, she may have an imperforate hymen.

amother
Camellia

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 1:06 pm
evaeva wrote:
my daughter got hers at 17!

My daughter turned 16 in September. She is petite and thin and started to develop late. Do I go to a doctor or wait a bit more? I’m really nervous.

amother
Steel

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 1:16 pm
I have so much to say on this topic, but no time cuz I'm a work. Maybe later I'll write my story
But in short please DO NOT make a big deal out of it. It's totally normal to start getting periods later.
Signed,
Someone whose mom went totally nuts when I didn't have my period at 14, and dragged me around to doctors and for a million tests, and caused a tremendous amount of needless anxiety

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 5:11 pm
Why was I hugged?
I really am thinking what issue do girls have?
was I neglected if I didn't see a gynecologist as a teen?

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 5:26 pm
amother Jasmine wrote:
Why was I hugged?
I really am thinking what issue do girls have?
was I neglected if I didn't see a gynecologist as a teen?

No, of course not!

But *if* a teen girl is having a medical issue, she shouldn’t be prevented from seeing a gynecologist (or an NP or CNM).

Does that make sense?

amother
Stone

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 5:58 pm
Got mine 4 months shy of my 17th birthday.
Even then I was very irregular.
I have a double digit family bh.

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 7:41 pm
I got my period a few months after my 15th birthday (coincidentally, the same year I finally hit 100 lbs)

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 7:42 pm
Some get it at 14 or older…what does your pediatrician say?

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 8:23 pm
Got it by 15 too.
My sister who was 15 months younger than me got it a few years before me and I was so so nervous about it. I wish my mother wouldve told me what a dr told me some years later.
"you are just lucky for not having to deal with this a few years less of your teenage years.
So please take it easy and remember to clear the air with your daughter that its so so normal

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 8:35 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:
I got my period a few months after my 15th birthday (coincidentally, the same year I finally hit 100 lbs)

Probably not so coincidental. In general girls do need to be 100lbs to start their period, and being underweight can lead to irregular periods or temporary period loss.

Being overweight is a risk factor for early puberty.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 9:50 pm
I'm wondering if all those that wrote they got their period late, did they also start developing late? Cuz my daughter is turning 13 but is developed already so that's my concern.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 10:01 pm
OP does your daughter do lots of gymnastics, or play competitive sports? Dr. Shanik told us that when dd stops gymnastics she'll start to develop at a faster rate. For some reason it pushes it off. At 14 she stopped and bingo she got her period a few months later.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 10:17 pm
very normal. DD is turning 13 soon and didn't get hers either yet.

From first start of breast development, it's approx 2 years later till period.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 11:50 pm
Got my at 16 . I’ll never forget my mom took me to gyn and I met one of my teachers there with her daughter going for a first visit (daughter was newly pregnant). I was horrified! Wanted the earth to swallow me . And then the dr did a full exam on me I had to get fully undressed. Plus they did a sono. It’s been twenty years since but I’ll never forget my embarrassment!
Of course my mom meant well . and dr said all is ok just give her time….oh well . I’m bH expecting my 8th ….
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children