Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Starting school early
Previous  1  2

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:53 am
amother Slateblue wrote:
I know plenty of people who work in MO schools or public schools. A lot of therapists don't work in the yeshiva schools because yeshivas aren't always so welcoming to therapists.

Yeshivas aren't welcoming to therapists?
Which yeshivas? And which planet do you live on?

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 12:33 pm
amother Dahlia wrote:
I don't think it's such an issue for parents who work in MO schools. MO schools usually end the same time in June as yeshiva schools and sometimes even earlier. My MIL teaches in a very MO school and was always on basically the same schedule as her kids in yeshivish schools.

As far as therapists, I'm actually a therapist myself, and the vast majority of therapists I know do work in yeshiva schools. Only a handful work in public or charter schools, in which case they are never on the same schedule as their kids and are used to dealing with schedule conflicts

It"s not really an issue if schools start/end earlier as long as day camps also start and end earlier.
I just wonder how they're gonna work out the regent situation

As a therapist you should be concerned. The approved start date is usually the first day after labor day. Will the doe approve services to start on August 15 for yeshiva students? Will you be ok ending June 15 and then not working the next year till after labor day? Same with school busses. Do parents want to carpool until bussing starts? It's nice for torah umesorah to come out with the initiatives but they aren't the ones dealing with the extra burden on parents.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 12:34 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
Yeshivas aren't welcoming to therapists?
Which yeshivas? And which planet do you live on?

I can list you a bunch of schools that don't like therapists. And yeshivas that don't let the kids be pulled out from grade 1-2 and up during rebbe time.

And there is no need to be snarky.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 12:42 pm
Are they going to raise tuition because of this?

What about families where both parent work year round and they want to take off a few days at the end of the summer to go away with their kids?

I think the camps, both day camp and sleepaway, keep on making the sessions shorter and raising the prices, and that's really the problem. They should be running camp the full summer if they want to charge the rates they're charging. I'm not understanding the benefit of starting school earlier.

ETA there's also the fact that half the summer is taken up with 3 weeks-9 days and there's not much time left to enjoy after Tisha B'av to begin with.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 12:50 pm
Satmar is following Torah Mesorah this year.

My boys are ending June 21, while the rest of the rest of (chasdish chedarim) are going until June 28.
It is causing a big mess up.

Plenty of teachers and rebbeim take summer jobs. There will be overlap in getting upstate in time.

Bungalow colonies upstate are usually a mixed crowd and will be opening later.

I think my boys are starting cheder August 22.

mha3484

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 12:52 pm
I don't live in NY or NJ where I think this applies. We start 8/30 this year and labor day doesn't factor in when they make the calendar. One year yomtov was like the first week of September so we started a week earlier. I think its a real shame that we pay for a Jewish education and there are years that the kids really don't get the opportunity to learn about the yomtovim before they break again for sukkos. I think that's the benefit of starting earlier. More educational time available to learn about RH/YK and Sukkos.

A few years ago my sons 4th grade rebbe did maseches rosh hashana during their summer session so the boys would enter rosh hashana with more knowledge which I thought was a great idea but it was just one rebbes idea.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics