Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
ISO fish with skin, or hashgacha temidi @ grocery

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 10:49 am
I live OOT. Buying salmon is expensive for weekday dinners and we usually make it for Shabbos. I would like to buy a white fish like tilapia, cod, etc. at a local non kosher grocery store. The only way that's okay is if the skin is still on, or the hashgacha has a mashgiach temidi there for the processing of the fish once they remove the skin. I don't believe the OU has this policy, so I need a hashgacha that does. It can be either fresh or frozen fish. Any ideas where to get it? We have a local fish store, but the prices are so high that the white fish there costs as much as salmon at Sam's club! I did find whiting fish with skin on in Walmart's freezer, but my kids weren't thrilled with it. Almost all white fish has the skin already removed. Any ideas where I can find some with skin, or a mashgiach temidi?

amother
Lime

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 10:55 am
I don’t understand. Most (all) people hold that skin on Salmon is ok everywhere. Can’t you buy it at target (or as we do, trader Joe)

Eta: are you looking for a fish other than salmon that you can eat without a hashgacha?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:29 am
amother Lime wrote:

Eta: are you looking for a fish other than salmon that you can eat without a hashgacha?

Exactly! Salmon is more expensive then white fish, so we make salmon for Shabbos.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:31 am
It sounds like you need to buy a whole fish that you see the fins and scales of. And then have them slice and fillet if for you while you watch. Freeze in portions.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 12:45 pm
The fish store will do that for us, but like I said previously, it's very expensive there. Sam's club sells whole mini fish that is frozen, with the head and all, but I am not brave enough to prepare it and my husband doesn't have the time. Therefore, I am looking for other ideas of what I can buy.

amother
Pear

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 1:40 pm
We used to buy packaged frozen fish at Costco with an OU on it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 3:33 pm
What type of fish? I know they have salmon. Was it a white fish with skin? I already wrote that we don't eat OU fish without skin unless it is salmon because our family holds it needs hashgacha temidi while processing and the OU's policy is it doesn't.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen