Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Kashrus Certificate - Home Business

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 11:05 am
Does anyone here have a home-based food business?
Can you please let me know what is involved in getting a kosher certificate, etc.?

Thanks!

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 11:20 am
Where do you live?
In Israel, you can't get a hashgacha on a home based food business. Some people will sell and specify that they use ingredients with hashgacha X or Y, but they can't legally call themselves kosher.

alef12

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 11:26 am
I have a separate space in my home set up with my business kitchen with an entrance straight to the outside
That's the only way I was able to get a regular hashgacha. I have Tarnipol, the same hashgacha as Evergreen.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 3:58 pm
alef12 wrote:
I have a separate space in my home set up with my business kitchen with an entrance straight to the outside
That's the only way I was able to get a regular hashgacha. I have Tarnipol, the same hashgacha as Evergreen.

You mean that you needed an entrance to that space that didn’t also enter directly into your home?

May I ask what these kosher certifications cost?

I already reached out to a few organizations, but am curious to hear until they get back to me.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 3:59 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
Where do you live?
In Israel, you can't get a hashgacha on a home based food business. Some people will sell and specify that they use ingredients with hashgacha X or Y, but they can't legally call themselves kosher.

I live in NJ.

Elfrida

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 4:21 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
Where do you live?

It's not relevant to the OP, but there is a Rav who gives a hashgacha to home based businesses in Jerusalem. I have a neighbour who sells cakes each week, and once she had an established business, she felt she ought to have a hashgacha, so people who didn't know here would also feel comfortable buying from her. I don't know what the conditions were, but she now has hashgacha from the Vaad Kashrut of Rav Shmuel Weiner.

alef12

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 9:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
You mean that you needed an entrance to that space that didn’t also enter directly into your home?

May I ask what these kosher certifications cost?

I already reached out to a few organizations, but am curious to hear until they get back to me.

I needed an entrance directly to the space from outdoors

Cost depends on many factors including the ingredients you use. I use about 5 ingredients total and they all are very simple (flour, salt, whole grains) so it's simpler to certify me as opposed to someone who uses eggs, vegetables or meat

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 2:59 pm
alef12 wrote:
I needed an entrance directly to the space from outdoors

Cost depends on many factors including the ingredients you use. I use about 5 ingredients total and they all are very simple (flour, salt, whole grains) so it's simpler to certify me as opposed to someone who uses eggs, vegetables or meat

Thanks.

What’s the range for certifications? 100-200-1000? I have no idea when I’m even looking at. It’s difficult to decide if it’s worth it to start up….

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 4:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks.

What’s the range for certifications? 100-200-1000? I have no idea when I’m even looking at. It’s difficult to decide if it’s worth it to start up….

Bump

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 4:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks.

Double bump- what is the range of costs?

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 4:21 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
Where do you live?

I had a neighbor in Israel get hashgacha for her home based business. She gave the mashgiach a key to her home.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 4:41 pm
Mehadrin hashgacha (think that's what its called) in NJ gives certification to home businesses and you dont have to have a separate kitchen. Don't know what the rules are though

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 10:10 pm
I know I can get one.

How much do they cost a month?

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:04 pm
Elfrida wrote:
It's not relevant to the OP, but there is a Rav who gives a hashgacha to home based businesses in Jerusalem. I have a neighbour who sells cakes each week, and once she had an established business, she felt she ought to have a hashgacha, so people who didn't know here would also feel comfortable buying from her. I don't know what the conditions were, but she now has hashgacha from the Vaad Kashrut of Rav Shmuel Weiner.

There will always be people who try to get around the law.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 6:53 pm
amother Peachpuff wrote:
Mehadrin hashgacha (think that's what its called) in NJ gives certification to home businesses and you dont have to have a separate kitchen. Don't know what the r
ules are though

Do you know the number for this hechsher?

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 7:59 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
There will always be people who try to get around the law.

Are you sure it’s actually against Israeli law to certify a home based business??
Or do the larger Hashgachos just not feel comfortable doing so, for various reasons?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics