Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Keeping clean

Bell

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 6:47 pm
doea anyone have an idea of how I can keep the bottom of my garbadge can from stinking?! Thanks

Tefila

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 6:50 pm
Do you use bags? Coz I only use that and this way no stinky garbage can and no mess to clean. I put a bag in all my garbage cans always trust me it saves you the hassle of cleaning afterwards Wink

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 7:33 pm
where do you get your garbage?
b/c myne manages to leak through!!!

LOL

gryp

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 6:21 am
maybe double-line the garbage can? one bag can stay there to catch anything that leaks and the other bag for garbage which you take out to change.

supermom

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 7:23 am
after my husband takes out the garbage he always airs it out for a while.

Bell

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 7:25 am
nothing leaks yet the bottom of the garbage can still stinks. I likw the idea of using 2 garbage bags ill try it.
Thanks

hindyandrafi

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 8:11 am
I shake some of the carpet/room freshner into the bottom of the can beofre putting in the bag.. keeps it smelling good.. Also try washing it out in the bathtub/backyard once a month or so..

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 11:49 am
Bell, I have the same problem- even though my bags never seem to leak, but I'll try RG's idea, too!

Yael

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 11:54 am
I have that problem with my diaper garbage, its never dirty, b/c I use a bag, but always smells. my cleaning lady sprays it with a deodorizing, antibacterial spray, and it helps, but it seems like the smell is just inside the plastic. I've thought of using baking soda, sprinkle a little inside, but havent tried it yet.

gryp

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 11:54 am
and here I thought I was giving a dumb idea and two people want to try it!! Very Happy

I guess you'll let me know if it works. Smile

eliana

Post Sun, Apr 17 2005, 8:45 am
wash it sometimes - once a month - and put an old newspaper in a bottom of the garbage bin, replace it every time you replace the bag

queenie

Post Sun, Apr 17 2005, 7:43 pm
Who uses a garbage can without a bag???

I take out the garbage everyday no matter how full it is. I wipe it out with a baby wipe and some Lysol green apple disinfectant spray. And yes, sprinkling a little baking soda does help. But most importantly, take out the garbage everyday and clean it often.

supermom

Post Mon, May 02 2005, 8:31 am
bell so what did you do at the end? keep us posted and did it work?

lucky

Post Wed, May 25 2005, 7:36 pm
nothing like baking soda! I change it once a week.

chen

Post Tue, Nov 01 2005, 5:53 pm
I use double bags (throw out the outer liner when it gets grungy or stuff misses the inner liner), remove the inner bag and its contents daily, sprinkle a blob of baking soda in the bottom of the can and inside the outer liner, wash the can when it gets grungy, and spray lysol as a last resort if washing etc. doesn't do the trick.

you can supposedly use charcoal briquettes in lieu of baking soda but I haven't tried it. I have a theory that plastic bins absorb odors more than metal ones (based in part on the fact that plastic food containers absorb odors more than metal ones) but have not tested that theory.

RivkaS

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 12:20 am
In Israel I found garbage bags with smell/perfume and we used that for some time but it is really a wast of money. Wash form time to time, that is better.

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 9:49 am
I was reading the back of my Mr. Clean floor wash bottle (hmm... I must've been REALLY bored! embarrassed ) and it said that it can be used for cleaning garbage cans, so I was thinking of just pouring some in the bottom and letting it sit there... oh but then the bottom of all my garbage bags will be wet.... hmmm...maybe that wasn't such a bright idea after all Confused
I'll let you know if I come up w/ something....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry