Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Which yeshiva for DS? US/Israel
Previous  1  2

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 4:44 pm
amother Amber wrote:
Quote:
There are a couple avreichim from Ner Yisroel starting a yeshiva next year in Baltimore geared toward boys that would otherwise be going to Israel the year after 12th. Much smaller than Ner Yisroel and might be worth it to check into.
Rabbi Avigdor Gersten and Rabbi Avi Shane

We actually spoke to them at length. They are planning to open if they get enough boys. They plan on giving a high level shiur, like any mainstream beis medresh. Not the type of boys who would go to Israel right after 12th. More the type that would go after 3rd year beis medresh. The only difference is that it's in Baltimore which is an out of town/more open minded community.

Oh interesting. That's not what I had heard a few months ago but it definitely could have changed. Thanks for the updated info!

amother
Amber

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:17 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Oh interesting. That's not what I had heard a few months ago but it definitely could have changed. Thanks for the updated info!

Could be it changed from the original plan. They had a mini open house a few weeks ago and we spoke to them at length in private too. I think they are trying to take advantage that kesser Torah no longer has a beis medresh. They want to grab the top boys from the 12th grade.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:30 pm
amother Amber wrote:
Could be it changed from the original plan. They had a mini open house a few weeks ago and we spoke to them at length in private too. I think they are trying to take advantage that kesser Torah no longer has a beis medresh. They want to grab the top boys from the 12th grade.

I had also heard that were getting KT boys but my son forgot to tell me they no longer have a BM. Hmm, I wonder where the bochurim in their BM is going to go...

I confirmed tonight they are looking for boys coming out of 12th and when I asked about if they were looking for boys who would otherwise be going to Israel for first year the response was yes, that's exactly what they're looking for... So I think it's worth it for the OP to look into and see if it's suitable at all.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 5:04 am
I would look into these programs in Israel:
Imrei Binah
Toras Chaim
Senters
Bais
Toras Moshe (TOMO)
Nesivos Araon
Bircas Hatorah

They all fit the mold of the in between guy, straight out of 12th grade, very focused on growth, guys who go on to college.

TJ is more for boys really struggling with yiddeshkeit

amother
Amber

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 7:35 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I had also heard that were getting KT boys but my son forgot to tell me they no longer have a BM. Hmm, I wonder where the bochurim in their BM is going to go...

I confirmed tonight they are looking for boys coming out of 12th and when I asked about if they were looking for boys who would otherwise be going to Israel for first year the response was yes, that's exactly what they're looking for... So I think it's worth it for the OP to look into and see if it's suitable at all.

Interesting. That's not what they told the parents, rabbaim, or boys at kesser Torah. Most kesser Torah boys are not they type to go to Israel the first year after 12th. Only a sprinkling in general and none from the current 12th grade.

Did you speak to them directly or hear 3rd party?

The beis medresh split. It didn't close. The boys in beis medresh already can stay with the rosh yeshiva, they are just no longer part of kesser Torah. The kesser Torah 12th grade boys can apply to the beis medresh. But again it's it's own entity now. They currently share the kesser Torah campus, but it's temporary and the BM will find another location and not necessarily in Baltimore.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 7:48 am
Thanks for the update on KT!

My KT information was from my high school aged son elsewhere and also didn't really jive with the impression I had gotten about their desired group of bochurim.

I reached out directly last night due to this thread to get clarity and got confirmation they are looking for 12th grade bochurim who would otherwise be going to Israel....
So I don't know and it's not for me and I'm leaving it up to OP to find out herself 😉

amother
Amber

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 11:19 am
Quote:

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 7:48 am
Thanks for the update on KT!

My KT information was from my high school aged son elsewhere and also didn't really jive with the impression I had gotten about their desired group of bochurim.

I reached out directly last night due to this thread to get clarity and got confirmation they are looking for 12th grade bochurim who would otherwise be going to Israel....
So I don't know and it's not for me and I'm leaving it up to OP to find out herself 😉

Maybe they meant the type that would go to Israel after a few years beis medresh--which is normal.

Either that or they have a completely wrong impression of KT. Because that was definitely not the impression they gave to the parents, rabbaim, and bachurim. If they think it's for boys going to Israel for 1st year BM, they will not get any KT boys and probably not end up opening (as they won't have the numbers)

We asked multiple times what type of chevra they wanted (as a parent of a KT 12th grader) and they gave the impression that they want to open a high level BM--the boys stay a few years and then go to Israel to R' Tzvi Kaplan, Pragers, Yagdil, etc. I know some boys are considering it based on this information that they gave over. If they change their tune, they'll lose all the kids considering.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 11:37 am
Thank you to everyone that responded. I really appreciate it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics