Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Baltimore schools?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 2:27 am
What are the schools in Baltimore?
I have Girls and Boys, not chassidish. What are the schools like?

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 6:14 am
In general order of size

Girls
Bais Yaakov
Bnos Yisroel
Cheder Chabad girls division
Darchei Noam girls division

Boys
Talmudical Academy
Torah Institute
Toras Simcha
Cheder Chabad boys
Darchei Noam boys
Tashbar

Beth Tfiloh (mixed)
Or Chadash (mixed)
I think that's everyone

amother
Starflower

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 7:04 am
I can't speak for the smaller schools.

Bais Yaakov is a community school. The grade sizes are HUGE (think 7+ parallel classes), which has its pros and cons. The class sizes are not, though. It has a reputation of being more "academic" once they reach high school.

Bnos Yisroel is a smaller school, only two classes (20ish girls each) per grade. Again, pros and cons. It's relatively newer, but not that new, has been around for maybe 20 years? It has a reputation of being less stressful at the high school level, more focused on extracurriculars, etc.

Both girls' schools have staff with a mostly right-wing hashkafa. The student body is mixed in both, hashkafically.

Talmudical Academy (TA) is a community school, with about 4-5 parallel classes per grade. It has a mixed-hashkafa student body. I would say 10-20% MO, with the rest split evenly between yeshivish and JPF.

Torah Institute (TI) is a tiny bit smaller than TA, I think? It is less hashkafically mixed, with a yeshivish student body.

Toras Simcha is a much newer and smaller boys' school, they haven't graduated their first 8th grade class yet. I think it's run by relatives of Bnos's administration, and is meant to be similar to it.

Ohr Chadash is an MO, tzioni school. On the smaller side.

Beth Tefiloh is a mixed school that has an MO contingent, but the majority of the kids are not shomer shabbos. The Judaic staff is frum (I think completely, but not sure?), and it is known to be academically rigorous.

Darchei Noam is a Montessori school, with a boys' and girls' division. I don't know any other details about it. It is relatively new.

Tashbar is very new. I think it started during Covid? I don't know much about it, nor about Cheder Chabad.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 5:43 pm
I have a daughter with mild ADHD and needs a warm environment that could support her. She is strong academically- just needs a little help focusing, reminders from teachers where they are up to... etc. She is mainstreamed and not a behavioral problem.
Would any of the schools be willing to work with us? We might need to move to Baltimore for work so wanted to explore if it was a possibility.

amother
Apple

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:13 pm
I went to bais Yaakov years ago and the school almost tripled in size since then.

I send to bnos. It's so warm. They really know each kid and try to accommodate. My elementary daughter just told me there is a girl with behavior issues in her class (lays on the floor singing in middle of class) and the teacher takes it in stride.

I had some concerns with my daughter last year and met with the staff. We came up with an action plan together and she is flying this year.

That said if a grade is full, it's full and they won't take any more kids. Some grades have space some do not.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
I have a daughter with mild ADHD and needs a warm environment that could support her. She is strong academically- just needs a little help focusing, reminders from teachers where they are up to... etc. She is mainstreamed and not a behavioral problem.
Would any of the schools be willing to work with us? We might need to move to Baltimore for work so wanted to explore if it was a possibility.

Totally! Bais Yaakov is so accommodating. They have tons of support staff and. The benefit of having a big school is that there are choices-if a class doesn’t work out there are options. BY also keeps the class to around 20. Each class also has an assistant, morning and afternoon so that also helps the girls stay on track. I find that my daughters teachers really want each girl to succeed on her level and will do anything for them.
Of course the best thing is if you could come and look at all the schools-BY, Bnos, Darchei Noam Montessori which I’ve also heard good things about, maybe Or Chadash. Come before school is over so you get a feel for where would be best.
Edited to add if you’re talking about middle school or high school I’d say the same thing. I don’t think each class has an assistant, but the teachers are so caring and accessible. The administration really goes above and beyond.

amother
Oldlace

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 11:50 am
amother Starflower wrote:
I can't speak for the smaller schools.

Bais Yaakov is a community school. The grade sizes are HUGE (think 7+ parallel classes), which has its pros and cons. The class sizes are not, though. It has a reputation of being more "academic" once they reach high school.

Bnos Yisroel is a smaller school, only two classes (20ish girls each) per grade. Again, pros and cons. It's relatively newer, but not that new, has been around for maybe 20 years? It has a reputation of being less stressful at the high school level, more focused on extracurriculars, etc.

Both girls' schools have staff with a mostly right-wing hashkafa. The student body is mixed in both, hashkafically.

Talmudical Academy (TA) is a community school, with about 4-5 parallel classes per grade. It has a mixed-hashkafa student body. I would say 10-20% MO, with the rest split evenly between yeshivish and JPF.

Torah Institute (TI) is a tiny bit smaller than TA, I think? It is less hashkafically mixed, with a yeshivish student body.

Toras Simcha is a much newer and smaller boys' school, they haven't graduated their first 8th grade class yet. I think it's run by relatives of Bnos's administration, and is meant to be similar to it.

Ohr Chadash is an MO, tzioni school. On the smaller side.

Beth Tefiloh is a mixed school that has an MO contingent, but the majority of the kids are not shomer shabbos. The Judaic staff is frum (I think completely, but not sure?), and it is known to be academically rigorous.

Darchei Noam is a Montessori school, with a boys' and girls' division. I don't know any other details about it. It is relatively new.

Tashbar is very new. I think it started during Covid? I don't know much about it, nor about Cheder Chabad.

This is a really nice summary and very accurate.
As far as your daughter, OP, I think either of the girls schools would be fine.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 12:09 pm
Both TA and BY have some MO families but more RWMO and in BY especially these kids tend to turn out frummer in their hashkafos. The real deal MO/Tzioni type families who it's important to them that limudei kodesh and chol get equal attention send more to OCA or BT.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics