Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How to/ where to buy glass cups for shabbos candles olive oi

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 11:00 pm
Till now I always lit shabbos candles with wax candles. Recently Hashem did us a big chessed and I felt to take upon myself bli neder to light with olive oil , but I never did it before. I just wanted to know. What type of glass cups and wicks do you use and where do I buy them ? (this is without candlesticks at the moment)
For chaanuka I have used glass cups but they have this bump at the end I assume shabbos cuos are smooth ?

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 11:07 pm
They sell the glasses in many supermarkets and judaica stores

amother
Heather

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 11:15 pm
The glasses have bumps, you fill with oil and water

amother
Diamond

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 12:15 am
I use the glass cups they make for neironim type candles. They sell them in the grocery. Fill halfway with water and half with oil (all oil will burn all night) and use a floating wick

Elfrida

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 12:52 am
They have a bumb at the base to make them more secure in the candlestick. If you're lighting without candlesticks, you need something with a smooth base, which can be harder to find.

I've noticed that for Chanukah a lot of people lighting outside just use regular shot glasses, so that might work for you. They don't seem to have a problem standing up to the heat of the flame.

I've also seen olive oil tea lights, which have a margarine type texture, and claim to be 99% olive oil. If you can find them locally - maybe in a judaica shop - that could be a good option.

This might work out expensive in the long term, but could be a good option for now.
https://www.amazon.com/SHABBOS.....=8-14
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note