Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What should I pay?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 7:10 pm
I am B"H expecting twins this month. I had a wonderful mother's helper who just moved away. And now my housekeeper, who I usually have here 4-5 days a week tells me she is going on vacation for 2 weeks starting on my due date. What a time to go from lots of help to no help.

A friend's teenage daughter has offered to move in with us for 2 weeks and help me out. I'm not sure if she has any real experience with newborns, but I know she had babysat for my friend's 4 young kids and she is very happy with her. And she is a very nice girl. So I am grateful to have her help. Even if she doesn't do much with the babies, she can certainly help with my 2 yr old and with meals etc.

What is appropriate to pay her? I really have no clue. What do you think is fair? She is 15 or 16 years old.

GAMZu

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 8:20 pm
How much free time is she going to have?
Do you want to pay by the hour or by day? By week, or once for the entire time?

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 9:00 pm
I was thinking maybe find out how much a typical live-in is paid and pay her half or 3/4 of that amount.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 11:24 pm
why on earth would she automatically deserve 1/2 ?!?!?! if she is doing the work she deserves just as much !!!

the details are unclear though ... as to whether or not she will be paid by the hours she works ... or if room & board have any lesser payments although she is only moving in to help you in a bind ...

it is very important to be fair to her and not take advantage simply because she is young ...

what if you pay her by the hour for the daytime hours and a flat rate for the rest ...

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 11:28 pm
I would pay her afterwards one amount. See how it works out and once it's over you can see how hard she worked...and pay her by that using your judgement.

Last edited by flowerpower on Mon, Jul 07 2008, 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

out-of-town

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 11:40 pm
I would pay her at least $400-$500 a week especially since she is going to be a live in

Crayon210

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 11:52 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I would pay her afterwards one amount. See how it works out and once it's over you can see how hard she worked...and pay her by that using your judgement.

This is a terrible idea. You need to work this out with her in advance.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 11:54 pm
What happens if she sees that she cannot handle it and leaves after 2 days? What happens if she loved it, was really devoted, and you feel she deserves a nice amount?

Crayon210

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 11:58 pm
If she leaves, you pay her for the two days. If she goes above and beyond, you give her some extra at the end.

But don't make it dependent on how hard she works!

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 12:00 am
You can ask her "Do you want to settle on a salary now or at the end of your stay"

Crayon210

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 12:04 am
I don't think that's a fair question to ask someone. It's awkward to say, "Uh, let's figure it out now."

OP should discuss with her the job requirements and pay BEFORE they agree to this.

GAMZu

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 12:08 am
I agree with crayon.
No one should take a job before knowing how much they will be paid. In writing, preferably.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 12:09 am
It's not a formal job where she is going to work full time and all.

I don't pay the babysitters by the hour. If they are good or work hard then I pay more then I had in mind to(both are a generous amount).

Crayon210

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 12:11 am
Didn't OP say the girl is moving into her house?

Even if she weren't, I still am shocked that you don't pay baby-sitters by the hour. That could be very uncomfortable. Sad

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 12:16 am
I pay more then they expect by the hour believe me! I don't know about the teenager but sounds to me like she's doing it more for chesed then money.

Crayon210

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 12:18 am
It doesn't matter. What if at the end of two weeks she expected $500 and the woman gives her $100? What if she thinks she is done when the kids go to sleep, but the mother expects her to wash dishes and pick up toys? There needs to be an agreement, and as Gamzu said, preferably in writing.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 12:37 am
out-of-town wrote:
I would pay her at least $400-$500 a week especially since she is going to be a live in

I think this is a good amount. Looking back to my first job when I was out of school, I made around that amount. I thought I was rich then.
I think 500 a week would really make her feel like she is getting a fair deal, especially if she will be working hard, it does depend on what her requirments are.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 12:46 am
Thank you everyone for the replies.

Yes, this girl will be moving in. It will be a 24/7 job with little down time, for 2 weeks. Then that's it.

I want to pay her fairly - not overpay and feel cheated, or underpay and have her feel cheated.

It's hard to know exactly what her responsibilities will be until I see how things go with her, how things go with the babies (I have no clue what to expect with twins vs. a singleton), etc. But it will all be more or less child related. I wont be asking her to do laundry or wash my windows or any kind of housework at all except possibly help with meal prep and or setting/ clearing the dinner table.

I do want to settle on a price with her before she starts. I'd rather agree on something a little lower then what I'm willing/ able to pay and then I would happily give her a nice bonus if she turns out to be very competant and helpful.

So, again, I am just trying to figure out what seems fair. Does $400 a week seem to low? (And really, I'd give her $500 if I turned out to be very pleased with her). To me, making $800-$1000 cash for 2 weeks work is a great opportunity for a young girl. Am I on target here or way off base?

Beauty and the Beast

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 12:56 am
you are very on target! Like I said, for a young girl, it is an awesome opportunity to make that money, and she likes kids, you won't be working her too hard... sounds very reasonable.

you should definately offer her a little less at first, but not much less, you do not want her to feel used and overworked. I would offer her 450 at first, and then give her the bonus at the end... that is always a nice feeling...

Crayon210

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 12:58 am
I think that you're on target as well. ;-)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics