Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What age did you get ahead of expenses?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 2:22 pm
I feel like every time I get a raise, my expenses increase. A major housing repair or medical bill for me or kids or similar happens. It's like every time I get a few thousand, immediately an urgent repair is needed. I never have extra to spend on anything because of this.

Were you able to get ahead of neverending expenses? If so, was this when your kids were older or out of the house?

justforfun87

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 3:29 pm
BH hashem put that money in your wallet right when you needed it.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 3:31 pm
BH I was taught by to always always live beneath my means and I always have

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 3:35 pm
When my kids were young I was able to put a lot of money away. When they got older and my income didn't keep up, I needed to keep dipping into that money. These days bh we are making it each month but cant put much away.

Life comes in seasons. It will be ok iyh.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 4:20 pm
I always BH managed to live below my means. Sometimes that meant very extreme frugality. Most women on this site would say it's not worth living like that but that's just something that's been ingrained in me my whole life. If you don't have it, don't spend it.

But, I know it's really all from Hashem and BH I didn't have unavoidable challenges that put me in debt. I can see how unexpected expenses could really mess up someone's finances long term.

seeker

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 4:37 pm
What age did I get ahead is the wrong question. I was born ahead and stayed ahead. Then life happened bh and I keep getting less and less ahead. Sometimes for good reasons like kids getting bigger and having bigger needs, and sometimes for less fun reasons like inflation and car breakdowns and such junk. I'm not quite behind yet but I don't feel ahead anymore, and I'd love to be putting away toward future things like marrying off the kids but there just isn't that much to stretch with.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 8:27 pm
I've always made it my business to live well within my means. I've been saving since I was a child, had a nice nest egg when I got married, and when I got a raise at work, I didn't increase my standard of living but increased the percentage I socked away. When the kids came and expenses increased, I saved less, but still saved whatever I could.

groisamomma

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 8:30 pm
I wish. Sometimes I wonder which hole the money is leaking from then I realize there are too many holes to plug Very Happy.

We gave up on owning a house. Now it's just staying afloat with all the rising costs.

amother
Tomato

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 8:50 pm
People tell me that it will happen when my kids get older and I stop paying tuition Very Happy . Not holding my breath.

zaq

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:01 pm
Nah. After tuition stops, the weddings start.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics