Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Commuting passaic to nyc

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 7:25 am
Hi Passaic Imas,

I'm looking for info on what it's like to commute to NYC for work (manhattan or brooklyn?) by train/subway. Do a lot of women do it? is it considered safe?

I have a job offer and am trying to decide if I should say no because of safety concerns.

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 7:27 am
Manhattan is a lot more doable than Brooklyn. There are busses that go directly

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 7:45 am
Depending where in Manhattan you are going and where you live in Passaic the bus may be a better option. I've taken it to Drs appointments and never felt unsafe. It drops you off at Port authority.

amother
Chicory

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 7:53 am
A lot depends on what time of day/night you're going. Rush hour is the safest time to travel and also the busiest/longest commute. NJ transit bus and train from Passaic feel very safe to me even in the quieter hours, subway I would only take during normal travel times.
I see women at the bus stop every morning all morning when I drop off dh and I did it myself for a few years. Some are going to college and some work in the city. Very few young mother though, if that's your stage you'll be in the minority.
The commute to Brooklyn is really long and hard. It's a minimum 35-45 minutes on the bus then a long subway ride, I do not recommend it. There are days that something happens and the bus takes hours. Train is more consistent but things get delayed sometimes and you're stuck with sticking to a strict schedule since it only comes once every half hour or hour. Manhattan if your a close subway ride to Port Authority or Penn station is much more doable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics