Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Reflux?

mompete

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 8:53 am
how do you know if your baby has reflux and if yes, what can you do for it?

miriam

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 9:03 am
Have you spoken to your pediatrician?

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 9:54 am
some of the symptoms that my ped. told me:
spits-up, arches back after eating, cries (in pain) after eating.
my dr. thought my baby had it so he put my baby on zantac. my baby still cried and spit-up, so I only kept him on the zantac for a little bit, then stopped. he still cried - but I realized it wasn't only after feeding- I think he was just a kvetchy baby.
now, b"H he's a happy baby. not on any medicine, still nurses/uses same formula. but still spits-up! dr. said as long as there are no other symptoms, then it's fine- spitting-up can last till they're 1.

now, zantac, just relieves the pain that the reflux causes, it doesn't stop the reflux! in some cases, a baby may need surgery to correct the valve that is causing reflux.

my friend just told me how her baby (actually 1 1/2 years old) has kidney reflux! she may have to have surgery to correct it.

lucky

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 1:40 pm
My fifth had reflux. He cried non stop, and spit up more than he was eating . A baby with reflux usually doesn't gain weight. My baby was on medication and it helped. I do not remember what the name of it was since it was many yrs ago.

For a final diagnose, see a pediatric gastro.

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 2:26 pm
Watch out cause reflux is often an allergy reaction. I have many friends who thought their child had reflux only to find out that it was an allergy. Zantac takes away the symptoms of reflux and its the most mild meds that they can put a baby on. I asked my gastro why my son had reflux and he told me that it could be an allergy or a malfunction in his system that over time it would correct. The test that gastros do to kids is very invasive. They need to be admitted to the hospital and put to sleep for about 45 mins so a tube can be stuck down their throat. But if your child is suffering then what can you do and you need to know why. But this procedure doesn't find out why but tells you how much damage is being done by the reflux and how bad it is. Honestly first make sure its not an allergy if its not allergy then see a gastro. A very large percentage of babies who were diagonosed with refluz really were having a food reaction.

shoy18

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 6:54 am
my baby had reflux and the dr told me to try (if you arent nursing) Enfamil AR it has added rice to thicken the formula so it coats the esophigis (sp) so it doesnt burn. It worked wonders the zantac really didnt do much for my baby

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 8:09 am
This would be a problem for those who keep Chalav Yisrael( more families than you might think). What about the Cholov Y. formulas, are there any equivalent?

BlumaG

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 9:03 am
I wonder if its a medical situation then wouldnt non cholov yisroel formula be ok, you know like medication even if its treif u have to take if the dr gives it to u and theres nothing else....
this makes snese to me does it to anyone else.. just my own 2 cents

BlumaG

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 9:21 am
question to all you pros with puking babies, I'm on to my 2nd kid n shes just as pukey as the 1st help
any ideas how to keep the clothes dry, we use bibs but they r soaking after an hr, shes drooly too so thats a gr8 combination, we go thru so many burp cloths too its wearing me out, anyone else had this with their kids, we're going to the dr next wk so we'll c if its a real prob or not she doesnt usually complain with it its just a pain in the ....................

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 9:29 am
yup BlumaG, been there done that... and still doing that w/ my 8 month old! he used to spit up tons after each feeding, now it's much less, but still quite a few times a day. if it's not shabbos, I wipe the spit up right away w/ a wipe. but I'll let you know our dry cleaner should be giving my baby some comission! when I get sick of burp cloths, I just use paper towels.
as I said, two of my doctors said it's only a problem if you see the amount of spit-up is increasing over time.
p.s. we keep cholov yisrael but the Rav that we asked said that for formula, it's okay to use cholov stam. so both my babies were on Enfamil Lipil. We tried Enfamil A.R. but his spit-ups were just thicker than they were before LOL ! I also found that he spit up more often after nursing than after formula.

Milk Munch

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 9:30 am
If you are nursing you should try cutting dairy out of your diet. I would almost gurantee that you would see a great improvment.
You should do a test run. You need to cut it out for a least two full weeks to be able to tell.

chavamom

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 1:20 pm
SaraYehudis wrote:
This would be a problem for those who keep Chalav Yisrael( more families than you might think). What about the Cholov Y. formulas, are there any equivalent?

You can just add rice cereal to the bottle of formula.

elisecohen

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 2:12 pm
You can try not just cutting out milk but doing the whole elimination diet yourself if you're nursing. You must do this with a doctor's supervision. Basically you cut yourself down to only either chicken or turkey (depending on which doctor you speak with), lamb, summer squash, pears, potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, and millet. Once the baby's reflux improves, you add foods back to your diet one at a time, starting with things that are fairly non-reactive and saving major allergens for last. For more information go to http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t041200.asp

I just finished 6+ months of this (the strict level the whole time since my baby is suspected of having not just reflux, but a milder form of a GI disease his older brother has). Not a lot of fun, but it can be done!

Milk Munch

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 5:33 pm
Wow, Elise, that is some self-control.
I suggested milk but I also want to add wheat.
Most illnesses that younge children have are digestive related. Most of the time the cause is either wheat or milk. (Or both)
It is safe for any breastfeeding mother to cut both of those out of her diet without any medical supervision. And I would almost be willing to bet that most babies with reflux or severe spitting up would improve.
In any case your baby is still way better off breastfeeding than switching to formula.

chavamom

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 6:01 pm
Elise - you must be one skinny mama after that diet. What did you eat for breakfast? And kiddush and hamotzei?

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 6:22 pm
It's interesting,that allergy theory makes alot of sense!

One of my sons was always spitting up, and very colicky. ( In every video we took of him then, there is a puddle of spit-up under him!) At that time I had never heard of reflux, but did suspect that his severe colic had to do with his spitting up which always irritated him and sometimes made him cry. I was nursing, and the first time I tried formula he reacted by throwing up! The doc did a throat culture and it was strep. (Did anyone hear of strep brought on by allergy? The doctor said it's not. I wonder.)

Also, at around six months he had an allergic reaction to something he sucked on (a breadstick with sesame seeds), had another reaction to some whole wheat noodles with sesame at around 12 months, and at 22 months reacted dangerously to techina. Finally then, we got the picture: one allergic child.

BTW that baby who cried six hours straight every night on schedule (9:00pm -3 a.m.)Rolling Eyes is now the sweetest boy imaginable, and most good-natured of my children BH. LOL

BlumaG

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 6:27 pm
myo lder daughter puked til 10 months, on breatmilk, formula and food all laike, this one is bottle fed n I have tried a diff soy formula while we were in england but no diff
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics