Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Moisdes coming out against AI
Previous  1  2

amother
Aster

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 7:26 pm
They should get rid of all technology period. No electricity no telephones. Any communication you need should be done with prior permission from a central location.

Take a leaf out of Warren Jeffs book.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 7:28 pm
It’s definitely a concern.
Even the secular world big tech people are talking about the dangers of it and are concerned.
Artificial intelligence is no joke.

amother
Hyssop

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 7:32 pm
They’re obviously only referring to the phone line now…since smartphones are banned…they don’t expect kids to have access to ai through apps etc.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 7:33 pm
amother Hibiscus wrote:
It’s definitely a concern.
Even the secular world big tech people are talking about the dangers of it and are concerned.
Artificial intelligence is no joke.

Their concerns are different. They (though I should say we) are concerned about misinformation, deliberate and large scale disinformation, sentience, and more.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 7:54 pm
Ban phone calls.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 11:00 pm
It is all very concerning but there is really nothing to do about it. Students are using it already and it’s going to be the new norm soon. The schools will have to update their curriculums to eventually work with it. Back in my time, there were cliff notes that people would use to help them understand books. It’s kind of cheating but every teacher knew it was out there and people used it. Today with the Internet it is so easy to write up a book report without reading a book. Now that AI is out, you don’t even have to do the writing. Everything can be done for you. Basically assigning book reports, essays, term papers will be totally useless now. They will have to come up with something else.

amother
Moccasin

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 11:01 pm
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
Ban phone calls.

Or, ban talking. What if kids talk to other kids who know more than them?

amother
Offwhite

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 11:03 pm
amother Moccasin wrote:
Or, ban talking. What if kids talk to other kids who know more than them?

Then you ban social interactions.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 11:20 pm
AI can give our kids plenty of Mis and disinformation R”L

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 11:42 pm
I asked AI how to explain my parents that I am a teenager and need privacy thus is the answer: Explaining the need for privacy to your parents can be a tricky conversation, but it is an important one to have as a teenager. Here are some tips that may help:

1. Be respectful: When you approach your parents to discuss your need for privacy, it's important to be respectful and calm. Avoid getting angry or confrontational, as this will likely make the conversation more difficult.

2. Explain your point of view: Let your parents know how you feel and why you believe you need more privacy. For example, you might explain that you need time to yourself to process your thoughts and emotions, or that you would like more control over your personal space and belongings.

3. Listen to their concerns: Your parents may have concerns about your safety or well-being, and it's important to listen to their perspective. Acknowledge their concerns and try to find ways to address them together.

4. Find a compromise: Work with your parents to find a compromise that works for everyone. This might involve setting clear boundaries, such as agreeing on a specific time when you can have privacy in your room, or finding other ways to respect each other's space and privacy.

Remember, communication is key. Keep an open and honest dialogue with your parents, and try to approach the conversation with a willingness to listen and find a solution that works for everyone.
They won't go to a parent or a teacher for guidance any issue, question or topic they have AI will guide them.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 11:45 pm
The phone number has been passing around in my son’s class. I called it myself and you can really ask anything. I thought it’s frightening.

amother
Offwhite

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 11:57 pm
amother Hibiscus wrote:
AI can give our kids plenty of Mis and disinformation R”L

As can books, newspapers, and other similar outlets. Everything exists out there today. Our responsibility is to learn how to use stuff appropriately, use it for the good and teach our kids accordingly

Just think how AI can enhance yiddishkeit. Imagine an AI that is trained on the Torah. Think about how quickly we can find sources and how it can enhance learning. Imagine an AI that is trained as a shadchan. The number of suggestions that will be forthcoming may solve the shidduch crisis. Etc. There is no running from this. We can't stop it from being integrated in routine life. Why not figure out an approach that can be integreted with yiddishkeit.

We are going to have to deal with this either way. By banning it, all we are doing is pushing the ball down the road and creating more distrust in our Rabbonim among the youth.

Miri1

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 12:39 am
amother Offwhite wrote:
As can books, newspapers, and other similar outlets. Everything exists out there today. Our responsibility is to learn how to use stuff appropriately, use it for the good and teach our kids accordingly

Just think how AI can enhance yiddishkeit. Imagine an AI that is trained on the Torah. Think about how quickly we can find sources and how it can enhance learning. Imagine an AI that is trained as a shadchan. The number of suggestions that will be forthcoming may solve the shidduch crisis. Etc. There is no running from this. We can't stop it from being integrated in routine life. Why not figure out an approach that can be integreted with yiddishkeit.

We are going to have to deal with this either way. By banning it, all we are doing is pushing the ball down the road and creating more distrust in our Rabbonim among the youth.

AI is so new and so vast, I'm not sure who can feel confident teaching their kids how to use it properly right now.

amother
Offwhite

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 8:47 am
Miri1 wrote:
AI is so new and so vast, I'm not sure who can feel confident teaching their kids how to use it properly right now.

Basic internet safety is equally applicable. But if extra scrutiny is needed, there's nothing wrong with saying that we should hold off until a proper path forward can be figured out.

Going to extremes will only come back to bite us. Banning it, making it out to be halacha, labeling it as the mother of all evil, only for most of us to be using it 5-10 years down the road as part of routine life, undermines our Rabbonim and halachos. There is already so much disconnect and distrust in our younger population. Constantly have to undo our previous stances will fuel thal further. Our children aren't mature enough to have the discretion between such stuff and actual halachos, and they'll apply the same thinking to more than just tech. They'll run with the attitude what's not ok now will be ok later, so may as well just go with it now.

amother
Moccasin

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:18 am
Miri1 wrote:

That’s true, but I think if we learned anything from the previous technology bans is that banning it doesn’t work, especially if it’s a technology that is only at its infancy of development. In a few years time everyone will is AI just like the internet is now part of our life.

amother
Honey

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:32 am
This is Annie, one of the call in AI numbers. You can chat with her like a regular human being though her voice sounds drop robotic.

I tried chatting about yidishkeit was curious what info she gives. She had rabbonim and famous people in recent history mixed up. For ex she said Zechariah wallerstein was from Romania

On a cute note she can write a song or essay or article for you in under a second on any given topic which was fun an entertaining when I tried. For ex please give me a love song for my baby David that has beautiful green eyes.

Aalso although people claim it I safe for kids she did answer me questions about sx in a bit of an informative way which I guess some consider "age appropriate"

as a parent im concerned about
1. Misinformation
2. My kids getting their crucial information from a robot as opposed to a parent, teacher or caring adult in their life.

amother
Honey

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:34 am
Our rabbis and schools have right to speak up and ban since they are the ones we expect to deal with the problems once they unfold

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:42 am
Maybe this could make homework obsolete Smile
No use giving homework if the students will go home and copy off AI.
Academic work can finally be done in school, the way it should be.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 12:15 pm
Miri1 wrote:

I think we can confidently teach them how dangerous it is. Same as the way the internet itself should be taught. It's dangerous, it's powerful and it's easy to fall into things you don't want to fall into.
Here's how to protect yourself.

snailmail

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 2:26 pm
amother Offwhite wrote:

https://kosher.chat
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics