Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Mom, what is AI? School is educating....
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 4:33 pm
My kids brought home a note that there's being a teleconference for parents regarding the dangers of AI. They were told that it's very important because AI is scary. Now my kids are asking "what is AI?" Why, why are schools exposing the kids to those ideas???? Most young kids wouldn't have any idea regarding anything about AI, had the schools not mentioned anything. Why? Why are the schools doing this? If they feel they must educate the parents, why can't they send a text or email instead of sending a note with the kids??

amother
Moonstone

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 4:50 pm
Text? Email? They’re both treif!

But my kids school sends that type of thing through snail mail.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 4:51 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:
Text? Email? They’re both treif!

But my kids school sends that type of thing through snail mail.

We get most notices through text, email, phone blast. Why they had to send this in a note and tell the kids how important and scary it is, is beyond me.
They're the ones opening kids to those ideas.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 4:52 pm
Same exact reaction as you.

My son barreled into the car when I picked him up yelling something about AI and a Musser schmooze and it's treif and tamai. Why???

sequoia

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 4:57 pm
This is so weird.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 4:57 pm
My daughter's teacher TOLD them that there's a number that you can call and ask questions and it's so scary and dangerous and proceeded to tell them stories about how scary AI is. Stupid stupid teacher! Those kids are 10 years old and she's telling them all about AI and that there's a number to call. Oh my, I'm so upset right now.
Our home is basically technology free, my kids have no access to anything. But their teachers and school must expose them to those ideas.....

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 5:01 pm
I barely understand what chatGPT and AI is, and my young kids are getting an education about it in school.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 5:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
I barely understand what chatGPT and AI is, and my young kids are getting an education about it in school.

A child could answer the phone and have a conversation with someone who undetectably mimics their Rebbe.

giftedmom

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 5:16 pm
Because schools are dumb

amother
Steel

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 5:16 pm
There is a number that kids can call and have any questions answered!!!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 5:26 pm
My son and friends got the number to AI from another yeshiva's memo to the rabbanim. Kids are fully aware that they have a "Google " type service at their disposal. So far many hrs of wasted time but I'm sure they will get smarter about what they ask Annie.
Another good example of parents having to be mechanich children by cleaning up mess schools made

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 5:55 pm
amother Steel wrote:
There is a number that kids can call and have any questions answered!!!

But why do schools have to tell this to young children???? The schools are exposing them to this. The schools are causing the issues. My kids had no idea about any of this, till the school brought it up. Why, oh why? How dumb can they get.

amother
Moonstone

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 5:58 pm
amother Mistyrose wrote:
My son and friends got the number to AI from another yeshiva's memo to the rabbanim. Kids are fully aware that they have a "Google " type service at their disposal. So far many hrs of wasted time but I'm sure they will get smarter about what they ask Annie.
Another good example of parents having to be mechanich children by cleaning up mess schools made
Shaking
What is wrong with that school?

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 6:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
But why do schools have to tell this to young children???? The schools are exposing them to this. The schools are causing the issues. My kids had no idea about any of this, till the school brought it up. Why, oh why? How dumb can they get.

If your child has no concept of AI - then they have no concept that things aren't always what they seem.

Ignorance is bliss - but can very quite dangerous.

amother
Trillium

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 6:01 pm
Wow, that is stupid. Reminds me of my principal who used to tell us not to go ice skating at Chelsea piers. Except this is much worse.

amother
Fern

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 6:31 pm
So ironic. They were trying so hard to control parents internet and now the kids can just get ai direct. They will have no choice and need to educate the kids about personal boundaries/responsibilities.

My daughter came home with a good education about it. Dh told her how/when he used it for work. We discussed it more and she’s intrigued. She had a hard essay coming up in middle of finals (bad idea to stress a kid like that) and wants to try it.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 6:39 pm
Heeeeeeeellllllllllloooooooo

Your kid might not know about it, but half her class does. And one day, very soon, your child will be told call this number and ask for a chulent recipe, or ask any question.

You MUST have your child educated that they shouldn’t call!

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 6:43 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
If your child has no concept of AI - then they have no concept that things aren't always what they seem.

Ignorance is bliss - but can very quite dangerous.

I'm not talking about teenagers! I'm talking about lower elementary aged kids. Their TEACHER told them that there's a phone number and gave them a full education about AI. To 8, 9, 10 year olds.
This wouldn't prevent them from calling. If something, it will make them call.
We all survived tell me and cha cha without teachers and schools EVER bringing it up. That's probably why we survived it, because the schools didn't educate us about it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 6:45 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
Heeeeeeeellllllllllloooooooo

Your kid might not know about it, but half her class does. And one day, very soon, your child will be told call this number and ask for a chulent recipe, or ask any question.

You MUST have your child educated that they shouldn’t call!

I don't think most young kids know about AI. It's on the parents to educate the kids, NOT on the schools to expose them to the idea and give them an education.

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 6:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm not talking about teenagers! I'm talking about lower elementary aged kids. Their TEACHER told them that there's a phone number and gave them a full education about AI. To 8, 9, 10 year olds.
This wouldn't prevent them from calling. If something, it will make them call.
We all survived tell me and cha cha without teachers and schools EVER bringing it up. That's probably why we survived it, because the schools didn't educate us about it.

What would our parents have said if our teacher would've told us about tell me.
I want to laugh but it just feels sad.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics