Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
I hate that cooking is my job
1  2  3  Next

If you’re the cook at home, do you enjoy it?
Yes  
 48%  [ 79 ]
No  
 39%  [ 65 ]
Other  
 12%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 164

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:30 pm
Really hate cooking. I’m the one working PT and home much more so cooking is on me. I simply hate the job. But my family must eat dinners and shabbas and Yom tov. I don’t want to be the mom who serves frozen pizza or fish sticks or cereal for dinner after a long school day. Especially that I have the available hours to cook. It bothers me that I really don’t enjoy this task and that I have to do it for the next few decades. I’m literally jealous of those who love to cook because they prepare food for their family so happily and I do it only because I must and wish that no one would need it. Thoughts?
ETA the shopping and cleaning I delegate. Still the actual cooking is a pain for me.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:34 pm
I pay someone to cook in my kitchen..game changer.
Also my cleaning lady does meal prep like clean chickens, peeling and chopping.
Basically I outsource it. Worth my money.

Edit also I have no emotional issues around this. Just bc I have ovaries doesn't mean I like cooking. I never did. I never will. I'm perfectly capable, I make good food. But I hate it. I'm allowed to hate it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:34 pm
amother Cinnamon wrote:

That’s my dream but I can’t afford that! I have very minimal cleaning help.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
That’s my dream but I can’t afford that! I have very minimal cleaning help.

If you have the time for cooking, then make money during those hours. Easier said than done, I know. But the concept.

happy chick

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:37 pm
Hate cooking with a passion. Hate. Hate. Hate.

I do enjoy baking, I wish I could serve my kids cakes and pastries for dinner, shabbos and yt. Lol

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:37 pm
amother Cinnamon wrote:
If you have the time for cooking, then make money during those hours. Easier said than done, I know. But the concept.

Right. I will need to earn a whole lot more to be able to afford a private chef.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:38 pm
I didn't used to hate cooking. But now that it's an obligation day in and day out, plus shabbos every week, just has me hating it. I wish people didn't need to be fed so often.

tichellady

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:39 pm
I relate and I actually used to like cooking before I had kids. my husband does help and has low expectations so it's manageable but I relate

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:39 pm
amother Cinnamon wrote:

Edit also I have no emotional issues around this. Just bc I have ovaries doesn't mean I like cooking. I never did. I never will. I'm perfectly capable, I make good food. But I hate it. I'm allowed to hate it.

May I ask what location and how you found someone to cook? I would love to hire someone for this! Is it on a regular basis? Your recipes? Nightly suppers?

amother
DarkGray

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:43 pm
My nature is such that as soon as I have to do something, I don't enjoy it. So when I was single and could get away with living on canned tuna and cottage cheese, I loved cooking and baking and potchkerai. Once I got married and had to cook, it was no longer fun. I cook as little and as simply as I can get away with.

Come to think of it, I now understand why those obligated to keep mitzvot get more sachar than those who keep them voluntarily.

amother
Watermelon

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:47 pm
I love cooking and Inhave done it professionally. However, always being the one responsible for feeding everyone in the family is hard and stressful and I often dislike having to do it.

Ima_Shelli

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 10:12 pm
Embrace fish sticks and frozen pizza. Kids love that stuff. Serve a big salad or veggie sticks or a fruit platter on the side if it makes you happy.

That’s what I do. Kids are happy. Mom is happy. End of story.

amother
Seablue

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 10:15 pm
I hate that I have to work and I have to cook. If I was home all day I don't think I would mind cooking as much. And I would probably make better food. But when I get home after a long day of work the last thing I want to do is cook. And no chance of dh cooking. But he does clean bh.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 10:16 pm
Ima_Shelli wrote:
Embrace fish sticks and frozen pizza. Kids love that stuff. Serve a big salad or veggie sticks or a fruit platter on the side if it makes you happy.

That’s what I do. Kids are happy. Mom is happy. End of story.

My kids wouldn’t be happy...

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 10:16 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
May I ask what location and how you found someone to cook? I would love to hire someone for this! Is it on a regular basis? Your recipes? Nightly suppers?

She comes once a week and makes a bunch of supper. Not expensive at all ($40/hour not like hundreds). It was word of mouth. Uses my ingredients, sometimes my recipes sometimes hers, I don't care.

Rhom

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 10:17 pm
amother Cinnamon wrote:
She comes once a week and makes a bunch of supper. Not expensive at all ($40/hour not like hundreds). It was word of mouth. Uses my ingredients, sometimes my recipes sometimes hers, I don't care.

Would you be willing to pm her contact and location? Only if you didn't mind sharing

Flip Flops

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 10:18 pm
Love cooking but don't like the pressure of having to make dinner each night, and Shabbos each week. I wish I could cook more at my own leisure.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 10:19 pm
I voted other. Sometimes I enjoy cooking. But it’s the constant pressure to always have meals with no breaks in sight that is so stressful.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 10:21 pm
Rhom wrote:
Would you be willing to pm her contact and location? Only if you didn't mind sharing

Not at this time haha
But if she has availability then sure. I've advertised for her in the past

agreer

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 10:24 pm
Start using your freezer.

I saw this thing where you end up cooking supper once/week M-Thursday at the end of a month... I believe it was in Ami magazine, maybe Bruchie Dushinsky?

Week 1: Cook a quadruple batch of supper #1. Freeze 3/4. Eat that Monday night and every Monday for the next 3 weeks. Cook supper Tues, Wed, Thurs.

Week 2: Cook a quadruple batch of supper #2. Eat supper #1 on Monday, supper #2 on Tuesday, then fresh suppers Wed and Thursday.

Week 3: Cook a quad. batch of supper #3. Eat supper 1 on Monday, Supper 2 on Tuesday, supper 3 on Wed, and cook fresh Thurs.

Week 4: Cook quad batch of supper 4. Eat 1 on Mon, 2 on Tues, 3 on Wed and 4 on Thurs.

Week 5: You are out of supper 1. Cook a quadruple batch of a new supper on Monday. You still have frozen suppers for the rest of the week. 3/4 of this new supper becomes new Monday supper.

ETC

It works if you don't mind eating the same supper menu weekly for a month.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics