Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
ISO someone to teach to swallow pills
Previous  1  2  3

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 5:43 am
amother Plum wrote:
Different methods work for different people. You need to try different ways and figure out which one works. I recently taught my teenager and this is what worked for her:

Firstly, make sure to be in a calm state before attempting. Take deep breaths etc. to stay calm throughout.

Take a small sip of water so that your mouth is not dry. We started with small pieces of canned corn. Once she got that down, we switched to half a tic tac, then a full tic tac, and then a small pill. This took a few weeks, practicing for a few min (or longer) almost every day. The key for my daughter was staying calm, and trying to keep her mind on something else while while swallowing. I talked to her a lot about random topics while she was attempting, to get her mind off of swallowing, and gave constant positive encouragement.

Now, a few months later, she is a pro and can take a few pills at a time easily.

Thanks.
Unfortunately, we do have time pressure Sad

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 5:45 am
theoretical62 wrote:
If you want a speech therapist, I have a family member in 5 towns who was helped by a speech therapist. It was expensive but only took 1 session. You can pm me and I can try to get the contact info.

She doesn't come to Brooklyn but gave us a name for the local one, whom we might try if the place that takes insurance doesn't help.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 5:48 am
miami85 wrote:
My son worked with his zoom-based speech therapist to do this--and he has an extremely sensitive gag reflex and now swallows pills with ease. He's really nice PM me for more information.

His office takes insurance! Have an appointment for next week, not with this guy but someone else from there. Not sure how it can work via Zoom but really hope it does.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 7:01 am
amother OP wrote:
His office takes insurance! Have an appointment for next week, not with this guy but someone else from there. Not sure how it can work via Zoom but really hope it does.

Can you please update us after the appointment.
I have a child that is taking way a large amount of liquid because we can’t get them to swallow we tried way too many ways. We eventually crushed a the pill but it wasn’t being taken right or she wasn’t absorbing it correctly so is now back on a huge amount of liquid.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 7:44 am
OP did you try the straw method?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 9:42 am
amother Aubergine wrote:
OP did you try the straw method?

Can you remind me what it entails?

amother
Catmint

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 10:07 am
amother OP wrote:
Didn't work.

What are the details? Where did the pill end up, what happened to the water, did you keep trying or just try once?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 10:10 am
amother Catmint wrote:
What are the details? Where did the pill end up, what happened to the water, did you keep trying or just try once?

It's my child who's doing it. Looks to me like she subconsciously stops the pill in her mouth while swallowing the water/ice cream

amother
Catmint

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 10:17 am
amother OP wrote:
It's my child who's doing it. Looks to me like she subconsciously stops the pill in her mouth while swallowing the water/ice cream

My child kept spuddering and we'd try again and again (sometimes with new mini pills). Water sprayed all over, pills disinterested, flew across the room, were spit out, but we used every tip and persevered and eventually it got easier. She was motivated because the liquid medication gave her heartburn and the pill was small. The doctor gave us tips again and again and had us keep trying again and again. At first she managed to swallow 4 times a week and sprayed the whole room up with water. Doc was OK with that and we kept at it and adding on her tips about curling tongue and practicing with things other than pills. It's not a one time try. It took frustration and hard work for weeks.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 10:29 am
amother OP wrote:
Can you remind me what it entails?

You can practice with Mike and Ike's. Put the pill on the center of the tongue lengthwise. Pour a big drink in a cup or bottle with a straw. Suck. The suction motion helps the mouth position correctly for the pill to go down.

It took us a few tries but we got the child to take the pill this way.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries