Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
I can make dinner in less than 15 minutes
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

gryp

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 11:24 am
Hashem loves me wrote:
GR wrote:
Stews, I can understand. Even if I have to peel and cut up 8 potatoes, it's still a quick job.

Stirfries take me a long time. Maybe I'm slow in the kitchen. Washing, peeling, and dicing or cutting into strips, isn't a 1-2-3 job.

GR, I'm right there with you. I think I posted earlier on this thread that I make lots of the same meals that people are mentioning but they don't take me only 15 minutes. I'm also starting to think that maybe I'm slow in the kitchen but I don't really think so.
I also agree with you about the stirfry thing. For me stirfy is something I'll do only if I know I have extra time. After 5 minutes the only thing I'll probably have done is have half the chicken cut into strips..

Quote:
I hold that if you do most of the work before the 15 minutes start, then it isn't a real 15 minute dinner.

Yeah, that's cheating! Smile like the cooking shows where the chef says this dish will take only 5 minutes, and he takes out his containers of already diced onions, and ten other vegetables, and chicken skinned, boned and whatever else done to it.

Exactly!

For the past month or so, I've been making dinner at night once the kids were sleeping. My toddlers don't let me cook during the day. Stir-fries, even peeling potatoes, became a night job.

gryp

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 11:26 am
mosma wrote:
GR wrote:
The thing I find funny about this thread is that everybody insists stir-fries, cutting up potatoes, and cleaning chicken, only takes 5 minutes. I have to wonder if the authors of these posts are cutting up a single potato, cleaning one piece of chicken, and how many people such a stir-fry feeds.

I dice my chicken while it's still thawing. it makes it a LOT easier to cut, and that takes me maybe 4 minutes then. for a package of chicken. if it's completely defrosted it would take me ten minutes or more.

I use scissors- it's snip, snip, done. I'd rather my chicken be defrosted in the winter because the water coming out of my kitchen faucet presently feels Arctic. No need to freeze my hands any more.

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 11:32 am
Hashem loves me wrote:
GR wrote:
Stews, I can understand. Even if I have to peel and cut up 8 potatoes, it's still a quick job.

Stirfries take me a long time. Maybe I'm slow in the kitchen. Washing, peeling, and dicing or cutting into strips, isn't a 1-2-3 job.

GR, I'm right there with you. I think I posted earlier on this thread that I make lots of the same meals that people are mentioning but they don't take me only 15 minutes. I'm also starting to think that maybe I'm slow in the kitchen but I don't really think so.
I also agree with you about the stirfry thing. For me stirfy is something I'll do only if I know I have extra time. After 5 minutes the only thing I'll probably have done is have half the chicken cut into strips..

Quote:
I hold that if you do most of the work before the 15 minutes start, then it isn't a real 15 minute dinner.

Yeah, that's cheating! Smile like the cooking shows where the chef says this dish will take only 5 minutes, and he takes out his containers of already diced onions, and ten other vegetables, and chicken skinned, boned and whatever else done to it.

I think it depends on how many in your family (in terms of cutting up veggies) If you have a big family, if your knives aren't sharp, if you are particular that the veggies be just so. I can rough cut up lots of veggies in 15min, but if I were dicing it would take longer!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 10:02 pm
GR wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
GR wrote:

I hold that if you do most of the work before the 15 minutes start, then it isn't a real 15 minute dinner. I also buy family packs, and I divide them according to how much we need per dinner, but I don't cut them into strips then. Not that that's such a long job but everything together adds up.
What do you peel for stirfries? I put in some assortment of mushrooms, peppers, onions, broccoli, zucchini, snow peas, green beans, can't think of anything else at this moment.

Onions, carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, for starters. Sometimes I'll put cabbage or spaghetti squash, which goes over really well here.
You peel zucchini for stirfries? For carrots, I peel, and then peel the actual carrot instead of cutting Smile

Took me about 15 minutes today for my dish that involved cutting potatoes and sweet potatoes which take a lot longer to cut than peppers...

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 12:19 am
Stir fry by me usually means onions and carrots...never tried zucchni, but zucchni isn't a fave here...I use to also add celery, broccoli and snow peas but the celery is bitter here and the broccoli and snow peas expensive.

So usually just leftover chicken from Shabbat, onions, carrots over rice. But I'll have to try the zucchni as well.

gryp

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 1:10 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
GR wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
GR wrote:

I hold that if you do most of the work before the 15 minutes start, then it isn't a real 15 minute dinner. I also buy family packs, and I divide them according to how much we need per dinner, but I don't cut them into strips then. Not that that's such a long job but everything together adds up.
What do you peel for stirfries? I put in some assortment of mushrooms, peppers, onions, broccoli, zucchini, snow peas, green beans, can't think of anything else at this moment.

Onions, carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, for starters. Sometimes I'll put cabbage or spaghetti squash, which goes over really well here.
You peel zucchini for stirfries? For carrots, I peel, and then peel the actual carrot instead of cutting Smile

Took me about 15 minutes today for my dish that involved cutting potatoes and sweet potatoes which take a lot longer to cut than peppers...

Usually. Between pesticides and fingerprints and dirt, that's usually what I decide to do.

gryp

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 1:28 pm
HindaRochel wrote:
Stir fry by me usually means onions and carrots...never tried zucchni, but zucchni isn't a fave here...I use to also add celery, broccoli and snow peas but the celery is bitter here and the broccoli and snow peas expensive.

So usually just leftover chicken from Shabbat, onions, carrots over rice. But I'll have to try the zucchni as well.

My 7 year old (sensory disorder) freaks out if I put zucchini on his plate. (I remind him of that wonderful old trick of simply pushing something you don't like to the side. Rolling Eyes )It doesn't stop me from putting it in the food since he's outnumbered. I do celery but not broccoli since I don't have patience to check it and it's expensive otherwise, and not snow peas since they're expensive too. Sometimes I'll do cauliflower though, it doesn't cost that much, is easy to check, and my kids really like it. But cauliflower also takes a while to cut up.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 1:45 pm
Ah, so broccoli and cauliflower I only buy frozen (pre checked). I guess that helps a ton. I do rely on my freezer a lot for stir fries.

(My husband's latest einfall: if we buy white potatoes -- which I have been! -- instead of idaho ones, we don't need to peel them. I told him it's actually easier to peel than to scrub, many times...though I do use the peels when I make fries or roasted potatoes.)

Zucchini I leave on the peel because it falls apart if I don't...

gryp

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 1:53 pm
There are certain things I'll spend more money on just to save myself time. Idaho potatoes is one of them. When I bought the other potatoes, I had so much to scrub and cut off, it became a double job.

Zucchini falls apart if it's diced/sliced and you're stirfrying? That only happens to me in chicken soup but I don't mind.

YALT

Post Wed, Dec 22 2010, 6:37 pm
I see lots of imamoms make fleishig tacos. In our house tacos was always milchigs:

Cook rice.
While rice is cooking cut up tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers tiny.
When rice cooked - add into pot: can of corn, can of vegetarian beans, taco seasoning & sauce packets that come with tacos. Mix.
Melt cheese into it.
Serve in taco shells - rice mixture and fresh veges ontop.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 12:42 pm
Bumping this up so I can look for ideas after shavuos. If anyone has recipes to add then please do Smile

justforfun87

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 1:03 pm
Chili I find to be a really quick meal. Basically sautee an onion and meat, open a few types of cans (paste, tomatoes, beans) and dump in with some spices. Certainly less than 15 minutes of prep time.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 1:14 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
Bumping this up so I can look for ideas after shavuos. If anyone has recipes to add then please do Smile

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....41503

amother
Oldlace

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 1:25 pm
fmt4 wrote:
Stuffed Shells:

Boil shells- takes 7 minutes
Pour marinara sauce into bottom of pan, mix cottage cheese or ricotta cheese with mozzarella and/or parmesan, an egg, and spices, scoop into shells, layer shells over sauce, pour more sauce on top, sprinkle mozzarella, and put in oven at 350 for 40 minutes. Kids love it!

How do you do it so fast? Whenever I make it it takes FOREVER to stuff each individual shell.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 1:45 pm
ra_mom wrote:
https://www.imamother.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=441503
Thank you! Lots of things to try. Let’s hope my kids eat some of them.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 1:47 pm
Shavuos

Penne a la vodka
Boil up penne or rigatoni. Drain, rinse, drain, toss with bit of oil. Seal in ziploc bag and refrigerate.
On shavuos, heat up 1 jar vodka sauce marinara with 2 cups heavy cream. Toss with warm pasta.

Salmon
Spray with avocado oil spray. Season generously with your fave spice mix. Add a bit more salt. Bake at 400 for 18 min.

Greek Salad
Make dressing of 1/4 cup each lemon juice and olive oil, 2 frozen garlic cubes, 1 tsp each oregano and kosher salt (or more to taste depending on how salty your feta cheese is and how much feta you use), 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
Make salad of romaine, red onion, kirbies, tomatoes, black/kalamata olives and crumbled feta cheese.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, May 25 2023, 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Boca00

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 1:49 pm
Between Carpool’s has an amazing one pan no boil baked ziti recipe. You just can’t make it in advance, it doesn’t reheat so well. But it tastes awesome and takes about two minutes to put together.

tweety1

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 3:13 pm
Boca00 wrote:
Between Carpool’s has an amazing one pan no boil baked ziti recipe. You just can’t make it in advance, it doesn’t reheat so well. But it tastes awesome and takes about two minutes to put together.

I second this
Page 8 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 Recent Topics