Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Little toe curved underneath foot

missmuffetsmum

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 6:07 pm
My little boy has his littlest toes curled under his foot - one side is far more obvious than the other. In a resting position they are just curled sideways and under. It's hard to describe... A paediatrician said there's no need to do anything based on a photo the midwife sent her.
I'm just wondering if anyone's had this with their baby and if it resolved itself/stayed that way and didn't cause any problems?
He's 7 weeks old now kah.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 6:36 pm
Two of my kids had one of their middle toes hiding behind the toe next to it. It straightened itself out as they grew. One of them, not until around 9 years old.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 6:42 pm
I have that but curled above the toe instead.
If you keep it bandaged straight it will grow straight.
When I was about 6 someone flippantly gave me the advice to just keep it straight and it’ll grow straight and I took it seriously. After many years of maneuvering my toes my toe is pretty straight now.

Or do nothing and it’ll be ok too. It’s not actually a problem.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 6:44 pm
One of my kids has curly toes (one curls under another toe--is that that what you mean?). We didn't notice until toddler age, so I'm not sure if it was less pronounced or just not like that as a baby. We see an orthopedist to keep an eye on it but he says that unless it bothers them, it's not a concern. If it does cause blisters or pain, there are surgical options. Some outgrow it, some have it their whole lives without problems, and some have surgery later on.

amother
Crocus

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 6:58 pm
amother Cyclamen wrote:
I have that but curled above the toe instead.
If you keep it bandaged straight it will grow straight.
When I was about 6 someone flippantly gave me the advice to just keep it straight and it’ll grow straight and I took it seriously. After many years of maneuvering my toes my toe is pretty straight now.

Or do nothing and it’ll be ok too. It’s not actually a problem.

Mine curves over. My parents taped it straight for years and it didn't help.

There is an option for surgery but I just have a crooked toe and so what?

amother
Blushpink

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 7:26 pm
Couple of my kids had that. Or maybe still do LOL idk, cuz it’s so not an issue... it’s feom mother in law though! See, not my side lol LOL

gottago

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 7:50 pm
Mine does that and 2 of my kids have it. Dr said there's no reason to "fix" it. It's usually genetic.

amother
Heather

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 8:19 pm
I'll just be the dissenting voice here: *sometimes*, it can be a concern. An orthopedist can do an x-ray to see if it is. If so, you don't have to rush there, they won't do anything this early either. So you can wait till your next checkup basically.

(My kid was fine bh but I asked them why they did an x-ray and they explained that if the bone itself has an issue, they would intervene)

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 9:10 pm
amother Crocus wrote:
Mine curves over. My parents taped it straight for years and it didn't help.

There is an option for surgery but I just have a crooked toe and so what?

Maybe it worked for me because I didn’t just tape it straight. I taped it to the other extreme. It curled over so I taped it under my toe and also practiced moving my toe under the other very often. I have really good dexterity in that toe because of it. I can move it in all sorts of directions that normal toes cant go.
I did it for a couple years and was already pretty straight by like 10 years old.

Reality

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 1:51 am
missmuffetsmum wrote:
My little boy has his littlest toes curled under his foot - one side is far more obvious than the other. In a resting position they are just curled sideways and under. It's hard to describe... A paediatrician said there's no need to do anything based on a photo the midwife sent her.
I'm just wondering if anyone's had this with their baby and if it resolved itself/stayed that way and didn't cause any problems?
He's 7 weeks old now kah.

Listen to your pediatrician! One of my kids had a curly toe over the next toe on both feet. My pediatrician said it was normal but my mil didn't stop bothering me that there was something wrong with my baby.

I finally took my baby to one of the top pediatric orthopedics, Dr. Karamatopolous. She said 10% of people have a curly toe. It will not hinder anyone's ability to walk, play etc.

So please ignore posters who said to tape your baby's toes etc. Your baby is beautiful and perfect! Enjoy him and have a lot of nachas!

missmuffetsmum

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 3:03 am
Thanks for all your responses. I'm not worried at all, I'm just curious. I definitely don't intend to do anything about it atm.

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 3:57 pm
If u have any doubt check it out. Sometimes these things can be easily corrected if u catch it early.
Dr Edelstein podiatrist in bp is great
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics