Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What should I pay?
Previous  1  2

creativemommyto3

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 1:15 am
It's not so unheard of for a girl to get paid less than an adult. here for folding laundry a single girl gets 20 shekel an hour while a married lady gets 25.

It's probably based on experience. I am guessing on that part .

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 2:15 am
OP, as a mother of twins, rethink the laundry thing. It's hard (esp. if you are nursing one or both) to get all the laundry washed / dried / put away and if I had help I would def. want her to do laundry. Even if you don't want her to do yours and your dh's, have her do the baby's and the 2yo laundry. I would lay out the cleaning expectations before, and what I think is fair to the girl (and would have really helped me, heck even today!) would be light housekeeping.... baby / kid laundry, tidying toys after 2yo goes to bed, helping clear table or wash dishes, easy meal prep (not cook us dinner,b ut help me peel potatos for the kugel, etc)

Also, since she is going to be living in I'd set with her a set number of hours to break per day where she can go out or you won't ask her anything. It doesn't ahve to be the same time every day, but if she knows she has an hour or 2 coming, it will probably work out better. There is *always* somethign to do with twins and a 2yo in the house, and she needss an hour or 2 to herself. I would say maybe after lunch when you get your 2yo down for a nap (if he / she still takes one) let her have a 2 hour break. Or maybe an hour break in the morning and an hour in teh afternoon. Of couse if both babies wake up screaming and the 2yo won't nap you will tell her she can break later, but if she knows she has a break she won't be resentful (oh I have to work while the 2yo is sleeping, by the time he gets up the babies will be up, etc). Just some advice as I've been both the mother of twins (without help, it is doable!) and I have worked for a lot of families both as a young girl and as a married women (got paid the same FWIW).

I think 400 / week sounds fine and you can always give her a bonus if she does a fantastic job.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 6:20 pm
OP here. Thank you again to everyone for the excellent advice.

happyone

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 6:50 pm
I would ask the girl directly what she expects to be paid.

yummydd

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 9:30 pm
I too would definitly ask the girl or her mother what she expects to be paid.

Cdlf

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 11:10 pm
I would ask the mother or girl how much she wants to get paid and if she doesn"t answer you directly ask her if $400- sounds okay. She may say less and you can add a bonus at the end according to how she was. The Spanish live-ins in brooklyn make that amount and they do all the cleaning, babysitting, and laundry, plus, plus, plus... so I think she definitely doesn't need to be given more than that.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 11:16 pm
happyone wrote:
I would ask the girl directly what she expects to be paid.

Do you really think a girl that age knows what to ask for?? For them, making money is so exciting that any amount sounds exciting!

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 11:20 pm
I think $400 a week sounds like a nice deal. Ask the mom what the girl expects to get paid.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 11:30 pm
sorry I would not put the girl in the position to tell you how much since she is unfamiliar ...

I would agree with the breaks - hey we all need it ...

and discuss before the type of things she can help with so nobody is disappointed ...

difr - as far as live-in cleaning help - don't forget this girl has a home and live-ins get the roof over their head as a bonus ...

good luck !!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics