Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
American Jobs in Israel/Remote

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 12:28 pm
Hi, I may be moving to Israel, and one of the main things it depends on is a job.

I have 7 years of professional office experience and BH earn very well.

I heard that there are many American offices in Jerusalem that operate remotely to the U.S.

I would love to start working for such a company in the U.S. so that I can get training over here and then move.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

TIA

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 12:45 pm
American companies do this so they can pay a lower salary because Israeli salaries are lower than American. Generally, from what I’ve seen, the salaries for office workers aren’t very high in either country unless you live in Lakewood or Brooklyn. Also, due to taxes, there are specific ways to make this work. To start in the USA, you’d have to start as a 1099 and take a salary cut with no benefits. In Israel, you should go through an MSA type company so you don’t have to pay US SS in addition to Israeli taxes. Because you’d pay both employer and employee tax from your salary and pensions here take a large amount, expect a lower take home. I’d talk to an accountant. My dh as well as some friends are engineers working remotely.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 12:48 pm
Is there no option to work for your current office remotely? That would be best.

Otherwise, try first to reach out to companies that have jobs that you already have experience doing that wouldn't mind hiring remotely

amother
Outerspace

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 1:56 pm
My daughter is in your shoes now. There are some Lakewood companies that offer this but pay is around $15

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 2:41 pm
The starting salary has gone up over the years-standard now is more like $20/hour.

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 2:42 pm
How does taxes work?

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 2:45 pm
On a 1099 you pay about 15% to taxes.

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 2:48 pm
Why do you need to be on 1099?

amother
Blush

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 4:11 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:
The starting salary has gone up over the years-standard now is more like $20/hour.
Sorry but no remote american job is making 70 shekels an hour.
I worked in a remote american company. It was majority charedi wormem from america. We were not making anywhere near that amount of money. We were making around 3k shekels a month. That was a while ago so maybe its 5k shekels now. Its nowhere near 20 dollars an hour.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 4:13 pm
amother Blush wrote:
I worked in a remote american company. It was majority charedi wormem from america. We were not making anywhere near that amount of money. We were making around 3k shekels a month. That was a while ago so maybe its 5k shekels now. Its nowhere near 20 dollars an hour.
'

It went up. A lot of people I know are making between $18-$25/hr working from home in Israel.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 4:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi, I may be moving to Israel, and one of the main things it depends on is a job.

I have 7 years of professional office experience and BH earn very well.

I heard that there are many American offices in Jerusalem that operate remotely to the U.S.

I would love to start working for such a company in the U.S. so that I can get training over here and then move.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

TIA
I dont think there are many, but there are some. Many of these companies are aimed at hiring charedi women and train them in israel for the job that they specifically want them to do.
The salaries are not high at all.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 4:16 pm
amother Powderblue wrote:
'

It went up. A lot of people I know are making between $18-$25/hr working from home in Israel.
Doing what? And working full time? 25 an our is close to 100 shek an hour. I have never heard of such amounts and Ive worked in a few such companies over the years. Never.

amother
Quince

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 5:01 pm
When I moved to Israel about 5 years ago, average started salary working for an american company was $10-15, there were lots of layoff during the height of covid, when people started coming back salaries went up for a while to 22-25 and now are slowly going back down to 18-20 an hour. but thats mostly for office work without many benefits/vaca days etc.

amother blush, are you getting paid in shekel? many american companies that pay on the israeli books pay less for a bunch of reason, and they say you make up the difference in benefits. so 50 shekel and hour plus benefits, paid YT, vacation days etc, would be about the equivalent of $20 an hour (which is more like 70 shekel). Never tried both.

OP, most offices who hire people in Israel have a totally separate division, people aren't taking their jobs from NY with them.

you can check nshei emails, janglo, nefesh bnefesh etc... for realistic options

amother
Skyblue

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 6:13 pm
amother Quince wrote:
When I moved to Israel about 5 years ago, average started salary working for an american company was $10-15, there were lots of layoff during the height of covid, when people started coming back salaries went up for a while to 22-25 and now are slowly going back down to 18-20 an hour. but thats mostly for office work without many benefits/vaca days etc.

amother blush, are you getting paid in shekel? many american companies that pay on the israeli books pay less for a bunch of reason, and they say you make up the difference in benefits. so 50 shekel and hour plus benefits, paid YT, vacation days etc, would be about the equivalent of $20 an hour (which is more like 70 shekel). Never tried both.

OP, most offices who hire people in Israel have a totally separate division, people aren't taking their jobs from NY with them.

This isnt true

There are many companies who do outsource to israel and dont have a totally separate division (my job) and my coworker did train in the states and take the job to Israel, although we do get paid less ($22.5 an hour)

I am on W2 and have all the american benefits and while I need to make up some taxes in Israel - there is a tax treaty and there are ways to make it worth it- basically my tax return pays my Israeli taxes. Also a 1099 is not a pay cut )I had that option) its a pay increase because taxes are not deducted before pay.

Talk to an accountant who does BOTH israeli and american taxes - then ones who do one and not the other dont know how to maximize your pay

Your best bet would be to go to your current employer and offer to keep your job and take a pay cut. My friends who have done that ended up with the best salaries

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 6:18 pm
I know that my American based company has hired remote worked from this agency. We pay the agency directly and they pay the employees, not sure how the taxes works.

https://placetopeer.com/

amother
Blush

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 11:45 pm
amother Quince wrote:

Yes, it was always in shekels. Byt it was always slightly above minimum wage. Never near 70 shek an hour, even with benifits.

amother
Petunia

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 12:36 am
Snider law (anonymous because I worked there for years)

theoneandonly

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 12:40 am
amother Blush wrote:

I worked remotely for an American company in Israel as a CPA and got paid $30 an hour around five years ago. So it's definitely possible to make more than twenty but it depends on the field.

Many American companies paying in Israel will only pay on a 1099 because if they pay on a w2 the company will have a filing requirement in Israel. A 1099 usually is a pay cut because even though you don't have payroll taxes withheld you still need to pay those taxes, and self employment tax is 15 percent instead of payroll taxes of 7 percent. There is a tax treaty between the US and Israel but it only covers income tax, not self employment tax.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 2:39 am
theoneandonly wrote:
I worked remotely for an American company in Israel as a CPA and got paid $30 an hour around five years ago. So it's definitely possible to make more than twenty but it depends on the field.

Many American companies paying in Israel will only pay on a 1099 because if they pay on a w2 the company will have a filing requirement in Israel. A 1099 usually is a pay cut because even though you don't have payroll taxes withheld you still need to pay those taxes, and self employment tax is 15 percent instead of payroll taxes of 7 percent. There is a tax treaty between the US and Israel but it only covers income tax, not self employment tax.

So you made more because you were trained in something specific. The jobs im talking about are jobs that the companies train the women specifically for their company. Different.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics