Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
UPDATED!!!! on Switching to a flip phone- need Chizuk
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 11:07 pm
amother Tan wrote:
So what would be a better choice? I really want to make the switch but can't figure out what to buy Sad

I heard from a few people that the Sunbeam Orchid has also has touchscreen.

So does the CAT phone but the CAT phone has too many apps. So look into the Sunbeam Orchid.

Ask FIG about their return policy. Can you get the Fig phone and do a 30 day return if you don't like it?

Or can you go to a kosher phone store and "test" it out?

amother
Tan

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 11:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
I heard from a few people that the Sunbeam Orchid has also has touchscreen.

So does the CAT phone but the CAT phone has too many apps. So look into the Sunbeam Orchid.

Ask FIG about their return policy. Can you get the Fig phone and do a 30 day return if you don't like it?

Or can you go to a kosher phone store and "test" it out?

Good idea. I will go into a store...

Hey123

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 1:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
Looking for people who switched to a flip phone from a smartphone and had a drastic positive difference in their life that can give me chizuk.

I ordered a flip phone and am feeling somewhat uneasy even though I know I’m making the right choice.

Anyone have an chizuk for me?

Hi!!

I gave my smartphone in June of 2022 and have not looked back! I feel like I've changed for the better in so many ways and I am so proud of myself!!!! Firstly, I'm no longer constantly on my phone, checking emails... a flip phone is limited so I feel like I'm more present. My husband and children are so much happier as they have my full attention! I gave up my phone for myself as well as to be a role model for my children (which I hope I am!). Honestly, it was not easy in the beginning, I got very mixed reactions but I kept strong! I keep saying after 120, Hashem will definitely reward me for this small (in my eyes HUGE) act of giving up my phone. It's all about the perspective, your UPGRADING to a flip phone... Your life will really change for the better BH!!

Btw, I have the KYOCERA and very happy with it!

amother
Junglegreen

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 1:41 pm
Are there flip phones with good calendars and alarms?
My smartphone is my brain for these things. I have everything on the calendar there and I always check it. And I love that I can set tons of alarms with such detail (ex: every Mon, WEd and thurs at 1p,) And a note app where I can just jot down anything I think of.
CAn I do that with a flip?

amother
Junglegreen

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 1:44 pm
Another question- Ive hear of people who switched to a flip phone and kept the smartphone at home for things like whatsapp, or some people who got a flip but keep the smartphone in their pocketbook for things needed even when they're out of the home. But use the flip for actaully phone calls.

I would do that but is that pointless.. Like what am I doing, either drop it completely or not at all.
Do I make sense?

amother
Rose

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 1:44 pm
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
I wish there was a way to have WhatsApp (only) on a phone, as for those of us with overseas relatives, it’s how we actually Call them.

I had this issue, and my family was annoyed how I would be able to call/video call. At first I tried using skype or zoom but that was super annoying for them.

I starting using google duo from my laptop - but all my parents/inlaws/siblings needed to do was download the app, sign in once and then all my calls ring on their phone as if its a facetime or whatsapp call. it made me feel much less guilty about inconveniencing other people which was the hardest thing for me...

I also upgraded to a second line, it wasnt that much more expensive, so that I can call and get call internationally.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 1:47 pm
There is a flip phone with whatsapp. The NUU flip. I just know the phone itself is not the best quality but might be worth it to check into.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 3:00 pm
I switched from a smart phone to a kosher flip phone 6 years ago and I never looked back.
It has reduced my stress level tremendously as I no longer feel the urge to process so much information on a constant basis. I am much more present in my life and feel like it is much easier to engage in relationships because I am far less distracted. It has cut out a lot of back round noise and freed me to live more in the present moment.
About 6 months ago a gave up texting and that has helped me even more since am no longer a receptacle for anything not deemed worthy enough to communicate verbally.
I was also surprised that I was able to run a busy private practice from my flip phone.
All that being said, a smart phone offers a lot of convenience, but I have found it well worth the benefits my flip phone has given me.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 10:18 am
amother Junglegreen wrote:
I would like to hear from someone who has all her family on whatsapp as well as friends and is part of lots of chats, and gave up her smartphone. If anyone has personal experience doing such a thing please share! Thanks!

I'm the only one in a family of 12 sibs that's social media free. Some sibs are kind enough to keep me in the loop. Its hard, I'm still young and tech saavy . I'm not Gonna sugar coat it but I do find the good in it.

I have also found that I'm more liked since I stay out of all family politics Laugh

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 10:31 am
As someone that has removed internet Ifrom my home & gone mostly tech free in that past 10 years here's my thoughts.

This isn't a bargain with Hashem and if He doesn't follow through you'll let go of your side of the deal. I chose to go more tech and internet free to get my life back and that is something thats guaranteed. Upgrading/downgrading to a simpler phone or whichever levels will absolutely be less time wasting and less addictive, yidishkeit aside.

So the gift is already there don't worry that H wont follow through . You will become more intuned to yourself and your inner voice, there will be less outside pressures of keeping up with the whirlwind out there and you will start making real human connection with those you love.

To those that sstill want to keep in touch with family etc, we have an iPad that Dh keeps in car to be used as needed, he connected whatsapp on it for business' I think through google voice but I do not use his whatsapp account by choice.

I get many comments from people like "I'm jealous from you, you live the best life, you're so luck to be so disconnected and connected to the real things that matter" I'm not an extremist, I love research and information, Ii love news and gossip but still make the conscious choice to live a better life.

Stay strong and lets be there to push and support each other!

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 11:52 pm
OP here, wanted to share an update as I just started using a flip phone this week!

Since I switched to a flip phone, I can honestly say that my life has improved tremendously.
Just from the very first day of using it, I noticed a significant difference in myself.

I was able to engage more fully with my children, and my overall patience improved as I no longer felt the constant urge to check my smartphone.
I was also far more present with the kids and everyone else.

Moreover, I found myself to be much more productive. Actually thats an understatement: my productivity skyrocketed!!
I was accomplishing tasks in one afternoon that used to take me three days to complete!

These remarkable changes all occurred within just ONE day of using a flip phone.

I do still have a computer that I am using for email, WhatsApp, Immamother, shopping, and looking things up.

My flip phone has a hotspot. So if I am ever in public, and I need to look something up, I can connect my flip phone's hotspot to a non-phone device that I take with me.

Type of phone I got: TCL flip pro. I highly recommend it.

Cressel

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 11:49 pm
That is wonderful!!!! That is so inspiring OP! Thank you for sharing the great update. Such a chizuk to all of us

the world's best mom

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 7:51 am
Good for you! It takes strength to make the change, but it's so worth it!

amother
Azure

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 8:06 am
amother OP wrote:
OP here, wanted to share an update as I just started using a flip phone this week!

Since I switched to a flip phone, I can honestly say that my life has improved tremendously.
Just from the very first day of using it, I noticed a significant difference in myself.

I was able to engage more fully with my children, and my overall patience improved as I no longer felt the constant urge to check my smartphone.
I was also far more present with the kids and everyone else.

Moreover, I found myself to be much more productive. Actually thats an understatement: my productivity skyrocketed!!
I was accomplishing tasks in one afternoon that used to take me three days to complete!

These remarkable changes all occurred within just ONE day of using a flip phone.

I do still have a computer that I am using for email, WhatsApp, Immamother, shopping, and looking things up.

My flip phone has a hotspot. So if I am ever in public, and I need to look something up, I can connect my flip phone's hotspot to a non-phone device that I take with me.

Type of phone I got: TCL flip pro. I highly recommend it.

So amazing!! Kol hakavod!!
Following because I feel like I'd become so much more focused if I did not have a smartphone. Anf I just dont have enough self control Sad. But all my life is in my google calendar. So, a few questions - looks like this phone does have smartphone capabilities. Does it use Google calendar? And if it does have smartphone capabilities, is its "mayla" that since it's so hard to type it's a deterence?
Thanks

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 11:29 am
I would love to upgrade to a flip phone.

Can someone please post in one message the different phones available with all the maalos and chesronos to each, and price ranges.
This way I can have it all in one place to see what might be best for my needs?

I think having an I phone in addition to a flip to be used in specific circumstances and at certain times may be what I need to do

Following is a list of what I can’t give up my smartphone for:

Grocery and delivery shopping
Research for my job
Waze and store or appt info when out and about

My thinking is to set a certain time or times of day to take out and use smartphone and to have in the car if necessary when out .
I waste hours a day researching random things, checking emails and Jewish websites.
I’m embarrassed to say how many hours.

Please please help.
I don’t have dh or family support for this so I’ll need to get support from others and have a clear plan in place with your help Smile- if possible.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 12:32 pm
amother Azure wrote:
So amazing!! Kol hakavod!!
Following because I feel like I'd become so much more focused if I did not have a smartphone. Anf I just dont have enough self control Sad. But all my life is in my google calendar. So, a few questions - looks like this phone does have smartphone capabilities. Does it use Google calendar? And if it does have smartphone capabilities, is its "mayla" that since it's so hard to type it's a deterence?
Thanks

The TCL flip phone that I got has a great calendar!! Is it google calendar? I doubt it.

I got the TCL flip pro, but I assume that there are also other flip phones with calendars.

Can you use a computer or tablet for google calendar?

You need google calendar specifically or you just want A calendar?

Cressel

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 12:38 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:
I would love to upgrade to a flip phone.

Can someone please post in one message the different phones available with all the maalos and chesronos to each, and price ranges.
This way I can have it all in one place to see what might be best for my needs?

I think having an I phone in addition to a flip to be used in specific circumstances and at certain times may be what I need to do

Following is a list of what I can’t give up my smartphone for:

Grocery and delivery shopping
Research for my job
Waze and store or appt info when out and about

My thinking is to set a certain time or times of day to take out and use smartphone and to have in the car if necessary when out .
I waste hours a day researching random things, checking emails and Jewish websites.
I’m embarrassed to say how many hours.

Please please help.
I don’t have dh or family support for this so I’ll need to get support from others and have a clear plan in place with your help Smile- if possible.

Can you use a computer for deliveries, research, and info?

I found it helpful to have a flip phone and a computer since computers aren't as addicting and don't cause me to mindlessly scroll as much as smartphones.

But thats just my experience. I know everyone is different.

Also, you can get a Waze device for Waze.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 1:20 pm
I have a computer and technically can do those things on computer, but the convenience of being able to do at least sone of those things when out or when computer isnt available helps me manage taking care of things when I have a few free minutes here and there.

Perhaps the idea is to make a complete life style change in terms of how I do all this.

That’s a bit scarier for me.

Also, when I’m out and about, things have come up When I need to look something up.

Part of my husbands reluctance to support a flip phone for me is that I’m going to keep bothering him to look stuff up for me when I’m stuck or whatever.

He isn’t wrong.

He needs his iPhone for work and various other obligations but and he also doesn’t have an “addictive personality” like me so he has better self control.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 2:05 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:
I have a computer and technically can do those things on computer, but the convenience of being able to do at least sone of those things when out or when computer isnt available helps me manage taking care of things when I have a few free minutes here and there.

Perhaps the idea is to make a complete life style change in terms of how I do all this.

That’s a bit scarier for me.

Also, when I’m out and about, things have come up When I need to look something up.

Part of my husbands reluctance to support a flip phone for me is that I’m going to keep bothering him to look stuff up for me when I’m stuck or whatever.

He isn’t wrong.

He needs his iPhone for work and various other obligations but and he also doesn’t have an “addictive personality” like me so he has better self control.

I can relate to the "addictive personality." My husband also uses his phone for random stuff sometimes, but he doesn't get lost in it like I do.

I think this fact (and the fact that it's cheaper) is probably why he was pro my getting the smartphone even though I had reservations about it - because he cannot understand the addiction part of it.

amother
Clematis

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 2:08 pm
Are there any flip phones that have Teams (on it)? And can do a basic web search?
I need both for work and it would be too difficult to have 2 phones at this point in my life
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics