Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Dh can't handle kids noise

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 12:34 pm
It really drives me nuts. He gets so overwhelmed even by the kids talking loudly. We want more kids, but I don't see how we can if he just runs away to our room if they are loud. I need help parenting, but it is too overwhelming for him at the worst times.
He has ADHD and I know this can be common. Anyone have any tips on how to help him?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 1:04 pm
Sorry. My father had this, not because of ADHD, and I am still resentful over being told off for making 'noises' when I was humming to myself as a 4 y/o.

Please make the kids understand that it's Dh issue and that they are doing nothing wrong. It destroyed a big part of my creativity and self image to be told off for being a child.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 1:07 pm
I have this TMI can't handle all the noooooise

Would he wear earbuds? It softens the volume a little

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 1:11 pm
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
I have this TMI can't handle all the noooooise

Would he wear earbuds? It softens the volume a little

I tell him to and he does at times, but he still gets upset.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 1:11 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
Sorry. My father had this, not because of ADHD, and I am still resentful over being told off for making 'noises' when I was humming to myself as a 4 y/o.

Please make the kids understand that it's Dh issue and that they are doing nothing wrong. It destroyed a big part of my creativity and self image to be told off for being a child.

Thank you. I will definitely work on that.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 1:15 pm
You can also gently teach the kids indoor voice vs outdoor voice. There's normal noise and there's unnecessary noise. For example, there's no reason kids should be randomly shrieking shrilly at the top of their lungs just for the fun of it. It's ok and even good to teach consideration for others ear drums.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 1:20 pm
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
You can also gently teach the kids indoor voice vs outdoor voice. There's normal noise and there's unnecessary noise. For example, there's no reason kids should be randomly shrieking shrilly at the top of their lungs just for the fun of it. It's ok and even good to teach consideration for others ear drums.

They know that. It's not even screaming thats why its so difficult. Like when they cry from being sick or hurt or even just play quietly near him.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 1:33 pm
My dh is the same. He also has ADHD. Within the past few weeks he chose to start medication (not because of this, for the sake of his general functioning) and it has made a major difference! He told me that he just carries around less stress constantly so he can handle day to day stressors better.

ETA my mother was like this growing up. We got screamed at for regular noises like schmoozing or soft music. It made my whole home life extremely stressful growing up, and I still don’t enjoy spending time in her house.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 1:35 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
My dh is the same. He also has ADHD. Within the past few weeks he chose to start medication (not because of this, for the sake of his general functioning) and it has made a major difference! He told me that he just carries around less stress constantly so he can handle day to day stressors better.

My husband is already on meds. Has been for years...

amother
Butterscotch

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 1:41 pm
as im reading your post, my husband (who just so happens to be taking a nap on a random sunday afternoon) rolls over and says, "why are the kids making so much noise?" Rolling Eyes

I have no advice, but when my husband comments on the noise, all I say is "you wanted them".

ETA - I started responding sarcastically, like "oh, I know its so tough. so sorry dear." its not very nice of me, but im done hearing the kvetching. grow up.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 1:42 pm
I tell dh all the time. If you want kids this is what you get. I don't listen to him kvetch anymore. Just let it wash over you.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 1:49 pm
amother Butterscotch wrote:
as im reading your post, my husband (who just so happens to be taking a nap on a random sunday afternoon) rolls over and says, "why are the kids making so much noise?" Rolling Eyes

I have no advice, but when my husband comments on the noise, all I say is "you wanted them".

ETA - I started responding sarcastically, like "oh, I know its so tough. so sorry dear." its not very nice of me, but im done hearing the kvetching. grow up.

I started with the sarcastic responses too but its not great for our SB. Its just so frustrating!

lamplighter

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 2:05 pm
There are ear buds specifically for this.
I struggle with sensory overload (noise) too. I just don't say anything to the kids about it. It's my issue to figure out.

amother
Peony

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 2:37 pm
As someone who deals with ppl who will not tolerate noise: here a one liners never to use, but I’ll admit my sins, I have in my deep frustration.
The cemetery is very quiet….
Life makes noise

amother
Amber

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 5:45 pm
I want to share something interesting. For many years, my husband couldn’t tolerate the kids’ noise. A baby screaming, a kid talking in a high pitched voice, fighting. . . It all bothered him. There were times he had to leave the room or even the Shabbos table because of this. He said his head felt like someone was hitting it with a hammer.
Fast forward to recently. For other reasons, he started going for therapy due to unresolved trauma from when he was a teenager. He even faced the person who abused him and told him off to his face. And now, he feels so much better about himself and more in control of his life.
As a side point, he noticed recently that noise no longer bothers him. Now that he dealt with the major stressor in his life, he is completely unaffected by the noise at home. Is that weird or what?

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 7:37 pm
Kids come with noise. If he can't handle the noise, he doesn't want more kids. Wanting something means one has to want all that comes with it too. If they don't, then they don't want it.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 8:24 pm
amother Amber wrote:
I want to share something interesting. For many years, my husband couldn’t tolerate the kids’ noise. A baby screaming, a kid talking in a high pitched voice, fighting. . . It all bothered him. There were times he had to leave the room or even the Shabbos table because of this. He said his head felt like someone was hitting it with a hammer.
Fast forward to recently. For other reasons, he started going for therapy due to unresolved trauma from when he was a teenager. He even faced the person who abused him and told him off to his face. And now, he feels so much better about himself and more in control of his life.
As a side point, he noticed recently that noise no longer bothers him. Now that he dealt with the major stressor in his life, he is completely unaffected by the noise at home. Is that weird or what?

It makes sense. Sound sensitivity is sometimes connected to trauma.

zaq

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 9:03 pm
And sometimes it's related to hearing loss.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 4:08 pm
I am like your husband. How do I choose between having more kids and letting them watch tv etc to get them to sit quietly vs having more kids
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics