Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Until what age do most babies fit in the Doona?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 10:39 am
I’m considering getting a Doona for my next baby, but it looks really small compared to my old car seat. I often see babies being pushed around in it with their legs hanging out, and my babies are usually long babies so I wonder if they’ll outgrow it too fast. I know some people use it way past that age for convenience, but I really don’t want to do that.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 10:40 am
Some babies grow out of it at five months and some at age 2. There’s really no “most”

LovesHashem

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 10:42 am
Whenever they outgrow the safety reccomendations of height or weight.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 10:51 am
In my community, people that rarely go anywhere by car, use a doona as their regular stroller and nebach keep 2.5 year olds squashed in there because that's their only stroller..... unfortunately, it's a common site here to see large babies and toddlers squashed uncomfortably in the doona.

cupcake123

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 10:54 am
1 year

amother
Sand

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 11:05 am
My baby grew it out at 4 months! He was a big one...
My baby now is a pip-squeek, tiny... she will most likely be able to use it for a year...

amother
Purple

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 11:23 am
amother Floralwhite wrote:
Some babies grow out of it at five months and some at age 2. There’s really no “most”

I totally agree. My babies are short and can wear 3-6m until close to a year. My typical 18m old would fit well in a Doona- although would feel totally restrained by the infant angle.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 11:24 am
amother Aqua wrote:
In my community, people that rarely go anywhere by car, use a doona as their regular stroller and nebach keep 2.5 year olds squashed in there because that's their only stroller..... unfortunately, it's a common site here to see large babies and toddlers squashed uncomfortably in the doona.

This is called: I got the trendiest stroller I could afford that is also a car seat and now they have to use it until they’re ready for a booster seat.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 11:27 am
amother Sand wrote:
My baby grew it out at 4 months! He was a big one...
My baby now is a pip-squeek, tiny... she will most likely be able to use it for a year...

What did you do after 4 months?

amother
Purple

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 11:29 am
amother OP wrote:
What did you do after 4 months?

Convertible car seat that rear faces

giftedmom

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 1:07 pm
I had one that used it until age 2 and another that outgrew it at a year. Really depends on the baby.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 1:43 pm
Does anyone know if it is smaller than a standard car seat?

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 2:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m considering getting a Doona for my next baby, but it looks really small compared to my old car seat. I often see babies being pushed around in it with their legs hanging out, and my babies are usually long babies so I wonder if they’ll outgrow it too fast. I know some people use it way past that age for convenience, but I really don’t want to do that.

My 1st born at 6lbs was in it until she was 21 months old, she didn’t specifically outgrow it but I wanted to transition her to a convertible car seat before my next was born. My 2nd was born 7lbs and was in it until he was 19 months old, he started fussing when putting him in so we switched him to a convertible thinking that maybe that was the problem but he continued to fuss and just plain x wanted to be strapped in.

In reality it all depends on your kids, you can definitely compare the height and weight requirements to other infant seats but if I’m not mistaken they are more or less the same. (I think Doona is until 35lbs or 31 inches tall whichever comes first, but I may be mistaken. Usually you measure their head till the top of the car seat needs to have a minimum of 1” of space)

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 2:48 pm
Is my baby the only one who hates the Donna? He hated it from the first time I tried to put him in it. I thought it's a matter of getting him used to it but he's 2 months old now and still isn't happy in there

Busybee5

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 2:49 pm
My baby was in it until he was 16 months. Petite baby though.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 3:00 pm
May babies were usually in a convertible car seat by a year.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 3:01 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
Is my baby the only one who hates the Donna? He hated it from the first time I tried to put him in it. I thought it's a matter of getting him used to it but he's 2 months old now and still isn't happy in there

I think a lot babies don’t like infant car seats. You should switch him to a regular car seat if he’s really unhappy n

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 3:33 pm
For those saying your baby was in it till past their first birthday, did they not find it uncomfortable to sit in it with their legs hanging out when you used it out of the car? That’s the part I’m mostly concerned about. There’s no footrest so their legs are just dangling in the air.

mandr

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 3:34 pm
amother DarkOrange wrote:
My 1st born at 6lbs was in it until she was 21 months old, she didn’t specifically outgrow it but I wanted to transition her to a convertible car seat before my next was born. My 2nd was born 7lbs and was in it until he was 19 months old, he started fussing when putting him in so we switched him to a convertible thinking that maybe that was the problem but he continued to fuss and just plain x wanted to be strapped in.

In reality it all depends on your kids, you can definitely compare the height and weight requirements to other infant seats but if I’m not mistaken they are more or less the same. (I think Doona is until 35lbs or 31 inches tall whichever comes first, but I may be mistaken. Usually you measure their head till the top of the car seat needs to have a minimum of 1” of space)

My baby is 31” tall and he’s 23 mos old and he is in the less than 1 percentile for height and weight. So any mother whose child child is on the chart should not be putting her kid in it at this point.

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 3:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
For those saying your baby was in it till past their first birthday, did they not find it uncomfortable to sit in it with their legs hanging out when you used it out of the car? That’s the part I’m mostly concerned about. There’s no footrest so their legs are just dangling in the air.

My average size lo fit nicely until 18 months. I never found babies to be uncomfortable with legs dangling, I never prioritized an adjustable footrest on my other strollers I just don't find it necessary. As a short person I'm perfectly comfortable with dangling legs.

Re your question if it is smaller than other carseats, I've had the smaller gracos in the past ( not the 35) & I think the doona is larger. It's definitely more upright in the stroller position compared to the Graco snap n go so it's more accommodating to an older child.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics