Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Why are they already finished school?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 3:32 pm
Two (nonjewish) accounts I follow posted pics of their kids' last day of school, one in Florida and one in Hawaii. It's not even June yet!!! Do they start school earlier too, like in August? I'm so confused how this works that summer starts at the end of May. Does anyone know more about this?

I'm also envisioning the outrage if our schools would dare....

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 3:34 pm
In different states they have different schedules, often relics of when kids were needed to help out with seasonal work on their families' land.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 3:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Two (nonjewish) accounts I follow posted pics of their kids' last day of school, one in Florida and one in Hawaii. It's not even June yet!!! Do they start school earlier too, like in August? I'm so confused how this works that summer starts at the end of May. Does anyone know more about this?

In Florida the public schools do end and start earlier. They start mid Aug usually.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 3:35 pm
HS is finishing now. Then comes 2 to 2 in a half weeks of finals.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, May 28 2023, 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 3:35 pm
Growing up OOT school started beginning of august, end in May.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 3:37 pm
Public schools in Texas also finished already. But they do start earlier.

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 3:40 pm
In lots of states schools start by mid August.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 3:40 pm
amother OP wrote:

Why would there be outrage? The summer break and school year are the same length, they just end and start earlier in some locations.

amother
Lightgray

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 3:44 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:
Why would there be outrage? The summer break and school year are the same length, they just end and start earlier in some locations.

Yes, and some schools start even earlier. I follow a public school teacher in Kentucky....her school ends mid May but they start end of July usually, latest first week of August depending on the year.
Jewish schools aren't going to start before Tisha B'Av, that's for sure.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 4:00 pm
In most of the south, school runs from August to May rather than September to June. It's the same amount of time, just shifted a month.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 4:32 pm
I worked at a very well-known charter school in NYC and the students finished the second week of June and began the second week of August.

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 4:32 pm
amother Aqua wrote:
In most of the south, school runs from August to May rather than September to June. It's the same amount of time, just shifted a month.

Midwest too. At least Michigan.

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 4:33 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
I worked at a very well-known charter school in NYC and the students finished the second week of June and began the second week of August.

I’d almost prefer that. My kids are so done right now. And in mid august they’re so bored.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 5:20 pm
It's fascinating to me! Our school schedule follows the secular NY schedule, Labor Day till June 20th or so. I thought it's kind of universal across the US. Learned something new Smile

For those of you who live in Southern states where the school year is August till May, do your Jewish schools follow the same schedule?

nylon

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 8:41 pm
Yes, Jewish schools where I live follow the secular calendar, more or less.

NY and New England have the latest start and finish. It's not about farms--high summer isn't when farms need the most work. It's just about when it starts to get hot.

But the summer break is generally about the same length, except many southern states it's a week longer because they don't get February break week (the Presidents' Day week). Some places do a "balanced calendar" which is 8wks summer break and then they get some more vacation time during the year.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 8:54 pm
I work in a midwest public school district. We end next Friday. We start up again towards end of August.

Happens to be they always talk about changing this schedule to starting Labor day. Some buildings don't have a/c and August is usually BRUTAL. Once we hit September, the temperatures usually a bit cooler.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 9:07 pm
I guess all your schools are air conditioned? I grew u in the south without air conditioning and school was dismissed early or cancelled if it was in the upper 90s. so our school year ended earlier than others iirc

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 10:13 pm
My husband who works in a charter school--- his last day was Friday (he missed it for yom tov, obviously)....... my son who is in a charter school has 2 and a half more days. My daughter in public school has 1 more full day and 2 more half days. My son is done with school altogether after this week because he'll be doing online school for 11th and 12th grades (he's finishing 10th now).

Gerbera

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 11:15 pm
I'm in Atlanta - public schools in my area ended May 24. I'm new here - my daughter's teacher told me they normally finish end of May but because of many chagim days falling on weekdays they are ending later this year - June 9. My older kids end the 15th. This coming year school starts Aug 23 and ends June 10.

mha3484

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 11:33 pm
I live across the street from a public elementary school in chicago and they end June 7th. Yeshiva here ends the 21st. They start august 21st we start the 30th.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics