Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Sensory toddler approved for OT? Bklyn

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 2:30 pm
My 2 year old son (28m) is very sensory, especially tactile defensive. I have a background in special ed so I know the signs, we do things at home to help but he could definitely use some OT. My pediatrician recommended getting him evaluated (I've used yeled in the past for other children). Wondering if people have experience with this, have you gotten approved for OT for your sensory toddler? What kind of thing do they give OT for? Trying to figure out what I could expect and what the chances are of actually getting something.

My experience is in the 3-5 range and I know there, they are more strict and will prefer to only give OT if the sensory needs are getting in the way of academics. Bh my child is very smart though, meets all cognitive milestones, so I'm wondering about EI. I appreciate any feedback! OTs please feel free to chime in too. Thanks!

Wasn't sure which forum to put this in so hope this works!

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 2:39 pm
So I have two kids who got OT through EI for sensory.
You need to manufacture issues such as fine motor skills delays, they will not give the services otherwise.
Even if there are severe behaviors due to the sensory issues.

Most children don't perform well with strangers so it's not hard for them to meet the requirements during the evaluation.

Throw the tomatoes 🍅

amother
Petunia

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 2:51 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:
You need to manufacture issues such as fine motor skills delays, they will not give the services otherwise.

Most children don't perform well with strangers so it's not hard for them to meet the requirements during the evaluation.

Throw the tomatoes 🍅

Agree! U gotta dumb down the child to receive services unfortunately it’s the only way.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 2:51 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:

Throw the tomatoes 🍅

So that's exactly what I was afraid of...I'm not trying to fraud anyone but I don't know if it's even worth trying. He doesn't have fine motor issues but he hates strangers so he probably won't do anything...

naomi2

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 3:34 pm
He may be eligible for it through your insurance. Miriam peykar in Flatbush has a sensory gym and takes insurance. You can call her and find out if he is eligible. way easier than trying the boe route

amother
Tulip

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 3:39 pm
When I test kids that age I usually have the parents do the testing while I observe. Otherwise I would never get accurate results and all the kids would look delayed. But I don't know what other evaluators do, so maybe your child will show delays.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 3:40 pm
I tried to get my sensory daughter EI for OT but she was advanced on all the other OT goals and didn’t qualify. They told us we might have more luck through insurance, but our insurance at the time had a High deductible so it wasn’t worth it. Instead I invested $100 into some good OT equipment at home ( a friend gave me her professional opinion about what my daughter needed for free) and we do home OT every morning before school. BH it’s really working for us. My second is showing similar signs so she does the morning routine with us as well.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 6:15 pm
Thank you everyone! I have Medicaid so I may try through my insurance. I'm not in boro park, I'm in Crown Heights. Don't know of a sensory gym in my area (sounds amazing!) but also haven't looked.

So what kind of things would a kid get approved for then? Besides fine motor I guess? Like there's no chance he would get approved for that.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 10:58 pm
Bump

amother
Green

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 11:18 pm
Get evaluated now before age 3. Make up issues if you need to. I tried getting my kid speech and was denied. It's a year later and behaviorally and academically he's regressed in every single area.... probably largely in part due to the fact that nobody can understand him!! I'm fighting for evaluations, nobody will take me thru insurance, and life is a little bit of hell with this child right now.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 11:28 pm
amother Green wrote:
Get evaluated now before age 3. Make up issues if you need to. I tried getting my kid speech and was denied. It's a year later and behaviorally and academically he's regressed in every single area.... probably largely in part due to the fact that nobody can understand him!! I'm fighting for evaluations, nobody will take me thru insurance, and life is a little bit of hell with this child right now.

Oy!! I feel you!! I'm definitely getting him evaluated. I'm just not sure how to get him approved since it seems it won't be so easy. I appreciate any tips!!

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 2:39 pm
Bumping this because I have now scheduled an evaluation and they didn't think he would qualify (they agreed to try because I really pushed, plus he has some PT things and maybe 1 fine motor). They meaning at the agency. They kept on saying that he needs a delay to qualify and the sensory issues I'm seeing won't qualify as a delay because, well, they're not. So I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

How do you present sensory issues as a delay? How are they a delay? Will they care if I explain how he has meltdowns or won't try things because of his sensory issues and therefore they're causing a delay, albeit indirectly?

Would greatly appreciate if anyone has experience with this. I'm not trying to "game the system" just want to know how it works so I can give my kid the best possible chance at getting help, with the issues that he really does have.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 2:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
Bumping this because I have now scheduled an evaluation and they didn't think he would qualify (they agreed to try because I really pushed, plus he has some PT things and maybe 1 fine motor). They meaning at the agency. They kept on saying that he needs a delay to qualify and the sensory issues I'm seeing won't qualify as a delay because, well, they're not. So I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

How do you present sensory issues as a delay? How are they a delay? Will they care if I explain how he has meltdowns or won't try things because of his sensory issues and therefore they're causing a delay, albeit indirectly?

Would greatly appreciate if anyone has experience with this. I'm not trying to "game the system" just want to know how it works so I can give my kid the best possible chance at getting help, with the issues that he really does have.

You can present sensory issues as a delay, but they wont mark it as a delay. they don't care. It doesn't qualify.
It doesn't meet their criteria.
No, they won't care if you explain he has meltdowns.

If you don't want to game the system, your child won't get the services he desperately needs.

Your choice, but your being a tzadeikes on your kids cheshbon.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 2:50 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:
You can present sensory issues as a delay, but they wont mark it as a delay. they don't care. It doesn't qualify.
It doesn't meet their criteria.
No, they won't care if you explain he has meltdowns.

If you don't want to game the system, your child won't get the services he desperately needs.

Your choice, but your being a tzadeikes on your kids cheshbon.

Thanks for being so straight with me, I appreciate it.

So tell me how it works - I can't just completely make up issues. They'll see in the eval that he doesn't match what I'm saying no?? And if not, then what happens? The OT comes ready to work with him on fine motor (seems that's all they give OT for am I wrong?) and I say no actually can you do sensory integration?

Bc afaik there are goals on the ifsp (if it's still called that, my masters was a few years ago) and they have to work towards those they can't just make up those either.

I'm happy to post on my username if you want to PM me and I'll switch afterwards.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 2:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for being so straight with me, I appreciate it.

So tell me how it works - I can't just completely make up issues. They'll see in the eval that he doesn't match what I'm saying no?? And if not, then what happens? The OT comes ready to work with him on fine motor (seems that's all they give OT for am I wrong?) and I say no actually can you do sensory integration?

Bc afaik there are goals on the ifsp (if it's still called that, my masters was a few years ago) and they have to work towards those they can't just make up those either.

I'm happy to post on my username if you want to PM me and I'll switch afterwards.

I'm not an OT so I can't tell you what goals are appropriate for this age, but I would prepare some fine motor skills stuff he isn't doing.
It might be propioceptory. It might be low tone.

Regarding the IFSP, once they are approved for services, during your IEP meeting, you can also add goals for sensory as well. They just won't approve for sensory alone.

Eta: Anything they ask you if he does, just say your not sure, sometimes, it depends. So that your not saying straight out he doesn't do it, if they observe him do it, so be it, of they don't observe, they can put it down.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 2:57 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:
I'm not an OT so I can't tell you what goals are appropriate for this age, but I would prepare some fine motor skills stuff he isn't doing.
It might be propioceptory. It might be low tone.

Regarding the IFSP, once they are approved for services, during your IEP meeting, you can also add goals for sensory as well. They just won't approve for sensory alone.

That's really good to know about adding the goals, I didn't know that.

Re the first point, do you know where I could find a resource that would help me figure out what's appropriate for this age & thus what he's lacking? I looked online but only found very basic. I know they'll ask in the eval but I want to be prepared.

You're saying they *will* approve for proprioceptive or low tone or they won't? He's always smashing his head on things & people as an example so he definitely has proprioceptive needs as well.

Thanks very much!!

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 2:57 pm
And good to know re the edit, thanks!!

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 2:58 pm
At 2 I got my kid OT through medicaid. At 3 the school pushed for a boe eval and he got approved for way more, but he did show signs of having social, speech and academic delays once he started school.
I’m not a fan of scaring parents into doing stuff now because what if this and that later. Get him the help he needs now. You’ll worry about preschool when the time comes.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 4:07 pm
amother Mauve wrote:
At 2 I got my kid OT through medicaid. At 3 the school pushed for a boe eval and he got approved for way more, but he did show signs of having social, speech and academic delays once he started school.
I’m not a fan of scaring parents into doing stuff now because what if this and that later. Get him the help he needs now. You’ll worry about preschool when the time comes.

I would love to hear more about how you got it through Medicaid, I also have Medicaid.

His speech and academics are great bh.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 4:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
I would love to hear more about how you got it through Medicaid, I also have Medicaid.

His speech and academics are great bh.

There’s a clinic near where I live who has OT as part of their services. The OT over there evaluated him and he got approved right away.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics