Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Miami heat

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 8:58 pm
Is it to hot to go to Miami now? Like not enjoyable hot

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 9:00 pm
I find pesach too hot for my comfort. So yes after shavuous is definitely too hot for me

amother
Burgundy

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 9:15 pm
Go into Accuweather and you will see the weather report.
Miami is extremely Humid so it might be 85 degrees but with 70% humidity
it will feel like 93 degrees.

WhatFor

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 9:27 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
Go into Accuweather and you will see the weather report.
Miami is extremely Humid so it might be 85 degrees but with 70% humidity
it will feel like 93 degrees.

For me, 85 degrees with 70% humidity is a million times worse than 93 degrees in a dry heat. I'd actually probably take 100 degrees in a dry heat (especially if there's a breeze) over 70 degrees with 80% humidity.

Op, I think the notion of intolerable heat is a bit subjective. It really depends where you're coming from and how much humidity bothers you.

Amarante

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 6:56 am
Really it depends.

If you are in New York City or even the midwest like Chicago, imagine the hottest most humid day in the summer and that would be Miami every day in the summer.

Would you actually want to be out and about or would you want to be inside with the air conditioning on and not wearing "frum" clothing. Smile

Dry heat is pretty terrible too if you are in a true desert. In the summer people who live there scuttle about and try to get everything done in the morning before the heat rises too drastically. Even with air conditioning your car is uncomfortably hot.

If you are talking about dry heat in an area like Los Angeles or San Diego which hVE what is technically called a Mediterranean climate, summer is fine because it is dry and so not bad if you sty out of the sun. Also it cools down at night much more than a humid climate - many people don't need A/C at night.

happy chick

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 6:58 am
im gonna vote too hot. I was there a few weeks ago and I was thinking why people visit florida in the summer.

WhatFor

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 7:04 am
Amarante wrote:

Dry heat is pretty terrible too if you are in a true desert. In the summer people who live there scuttle about and try to get everything done in the morning before the heat rises too drastically. Even with air conditioning your car is uncomfortably hot.

If you are talking about dry heat in an area like Los Angeles or San Diego which hVE what is technically called a Mediterranean climate, summer is fine because it is dry and so not bad if you sty out of the sun. Also it cools down at night much more than a humid climate - many people don't need A/C at night.

When you say true desert, you mean like if you're exposed?

I'm talking about in normal suburban or metropolitan areas. In dry heat in these locations, when you're out of direct sun, even under a tree, it can even be nice. When you're in a humid climate, going under a tree helps nothing. I'm not an expert in this, but I have some vague recollection of reading that it has to do with you not sweating, something to do with air density outside, maybe? Anyway, for me that's horrible. The tolerating heat until I get under an awning, that I can do.

Obviously I wouldn't go for a long walk in either of these extreme situations. It's just that with humidity it can feel intolerable after just a minute.

Amarante

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 7:09 am
WhatFor wrote:
When you say true desert, you mean like if you're exposed?

I'm talking about in normal suburban or metropolitan areas. In dry heat in these locations, when you're out of direct sun, even under a tree, it can even be nice. When you're in a humid climate, going under a tree helps nothing. I'm not an expert in this, but I have some vague recollection of reading that it has to do with you not sweating, something to do with air density outside, maybe? Anyway, for me that's horrible. The tolerating heat until I get under an awning, that I can do.

Obviously I wouldn't go for a long walk in either of these extreme situations. It's just that with humidity it can feel intolerable after just a minute.

A true desert would be Palm Springs or Phoenix or Las Vegas where it can get over 100 degrees in the summer.

What specific area are you calling "normal" that is dry

As I said, Los Angeles and San Diego have Mediterranean climates and not desert climates and are what you described which is why they are so livable year round. Except during the hottest days, it is always relatively comfortable out of the sun.

People who live in Phoenix will have second homes to escape the summer heat just as people who live in cold climates have second homes in warm areas - sunbirds versus snow birds .

WhatFor

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 7:26 am
Amarante wrote:
A true desert would be Palm Springs or Phoenix or Las Vegas where it can get over 100 degrees in the summer.

What specific area are you calling "normal" that is dry

As I said, Los Angeles and San Diego have Mediterranean climates and not desert climates and are what you described which is why they are so livable year round. Except during the hottest days, it is always relatively comfortable out of the sun.

People who live in Phoenix will have second homes to escape the summer heat just as people who live in cold climates have second homes in warm areas - sunbirds versus snow birds .

Oh wow- I just learned something. All this time I thought a particular area I liked had a desert climate. I googled it and it's definitely a Mediterranean hot summer climate. Thank you for my education for the day.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 8:33 am
Ah I’m nervous we are going to Cancun in 2 weeks! We have a pool but I hope it’s not too muggy out??

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 8:39 am
amother Vermilion wrote:
Ah I’m nervous we are going to Cancun in 2 weeks! We have a pool but I hope it’s not too muggy out??

Why do you think the weather will be nice?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 12:15 pm
I agree it's subjective. Last time I was in FL was in February a few years ago and it was too hot for my taste. Florida is like the last place I would want to go, ever, even more so this time of year. Try Alaska or Canada instead.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 1:50 pm
If you’re the type to spend your day at the beach wearing almost nothing Miami might be tolerable. Otherwise stay away until December. The heat and humidity make it unbearable to walk more than a block or two most days even at 6am. By noon you’ll melt into a puddle if you’re outdoors.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics