Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Anyone use Turo car rental

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 9:14 am
I need to rent a car for a few days and rentals are a fortune. Someone told me about Turo.
Anyone use it and could tell me how their experience was?

Jalapeño

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 9:40 am
I've used it a bunch on similar situations and only had good to great experiences.
Good deals on cars when none were available/affordable with the bonus that you look like a local Smile

Keep in mind that you're getting a good deal because the cars are generally older and a little less pristine than rentals from a big agency, but they should. be clean and run well
Definitely helps to read reviews about the state of the car- I've avoided some that had poor reviews.

ALSO the most important thing imo is that the car owners can easily cancel your reservation on the "instant book" type rentals, but you can see their previous history of doing so and avoid them if it's bad. I had this happen to me a couple times (with enough advance warning to rebook) and Turo gives you instant credit and/or refunds with no issues.

Finally (and I think this might be a me thing) I found the return process ever so slightly more intensive because I felt I had to leave the car cleaner than I would for an agency rental. I often met/interacted with the owners and since they were always so nice I went the extra mile to shake out the mats etc. but I don't think that's at all necessary.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 9:50 am
Thanks I don't need the newest and best car. Just want a clean reliable car because I am afraid to take mine on the highway.
Another question how does insurance work?

Happydance

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 10:55 am
Jalapeño wrote:
I've used it a bunch on similar situations and only had good to great experiences.
Good deals on cars when none were available/affordable with the bonus that you look like a local Smile

Keep in mind that you're getting a good deal because the cars are generally older and a little less pristine than rentals from a big agency, but they should. be clean and run well
Definitely helps to read reviews about the state of the car- I've avoided some that had poor reviews.

ALSO the most important thing imo is that the car owners can easily cancel your reservation on the "instant book" type rentals, but you can see their previous history of doing so and avoid them if it's bad. I had this happen to me a couple times (with enough advance warning to rebook) and Turo gives you instant credit and/or refunds with no issues.

Finally (and I think this might be a me thing) I found the return process ever so slightly more intensive because I felt I had to leave the car cleaner than I would for an agency rental. I often met/interacted with the owners and since they were always so nice I went the extra mile to shake out the mats etc. but I don't think that's at all necessary.

I’ll chime in about the cleaning aspect of the car
I got fined because I didn’t vacuum the car when finished with it. Apparently that was in the fine print

amother
Daisy

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 11:00 am
I just returned my Turo rental. Overall pretty smooth and easy. I didn't let the kids eat in the car though.

Jalapeño

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 11:03 am
Happydance wrote:
I’ll chime in about the cleaning aspect of the car
I got fined because I didn’t vacuum the car when finished with it. Apparently that was in the fine print

Yes I think another important thing to add is that each car can have its own set of rules
(Different mileage limits, different out of state restrictions, etc.) So you should read each rental page closely.

Insurance I've done both through my cc and through their offerings. I think it depends on your credit card//own car insurance and what they cover
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics