Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Whats with some Jackson NJ Houses, u cant flush any tissues?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 9:41 pm
Can someone explain why?

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....13838

On this thread about not preparing enough tissues, and not flushing anything but toilet paper, someone answered that the host should be instaliing working plumbing where you can flush whatever you want made me think, that some areas of Jackson have their own septic tanks, and owners cant change that?

Can someone please explain why in some areas in Jackson, NJ, you cant flush anything but toilet paper, and you cant make unlimited washes, because these (fancy) homes are made with different plumbing?

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 9:53 pm
Septic tanks

When you have a septic tank if you use to much water it fills the tank faster
When you have a septic tank you have to get septic tank approved toilet paper other wise it caould cause problems.

Reality

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 10:01 pm
Why do you think this is a Jackson, NJ issue only? There are plenty of people in other areas that live in homes that can't handle flushing tissues.

Other reasons besides for septic tank include: older homes with narrower pipes, issues with tree roots etc.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 4:32 am
I live in Lakewood. My entire neighborhood is septic. There is no city sewer to connect to. Yes, you cannot use tissues or flushable wipes. Things must be septic safe or you will clog the system and have a backup. But as long as we are mindful of that we have not had any issues bh! And I do not pay a water or sewer bill😏

amother
Tanzanite

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 4:40 am
I live in Jackson and my heating is weird (connected to a well), but my plumbing is fine.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 5:25 am
This is not Jackson, this is everywhere. Most single family homes you can't flush anything other than toilet paper or it can cause major problems.

Amarante

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 5:56 am
amother Ultramarine wrote:
This is not Jackson, this is everywhere. Most single family homes you can't flush anything other than toilet paper or it can cause major problems.

It is not just single family homes - you shouldn't flush anything but toilet paper down any toilet - whether it is an apartment building or a single family home or a townhouse

It clogs the pipes and eventually either impacts your toilet or someone else's toilet on the same waste line,

Toilet paper - even thick toilet paper like Charmin disintegrates in water while tissue, wipes and tampons do not.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 7:58 am
Which are the best precuts that most people w septic tanks use on Shabbos?

amother
Yolk

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 8:16 am
Amarante wrote:
It is not just single family homes - you shouldn't flush anything but toilet paper down any toilet - whether it is an apartment building or a single family home or a townhouse

It clogs the pipes and eventually either impacts your toilet or someone else's toilet on the same waste line,

Toilet paper - even thick toilet paper like Charmin disintegrates in water while tissue, wipes and tampons do not.
Yes! When I lived in an apartment building my upstairs neighbor regularly flushed "flushable wipes" and would back up the sewer into MY apartment. She didn't care because she didn't get the mess. The water company constantly needed to come out to unclog the pipes. It's disgusting! Nothing should be flushed besides toilet paper!

Fabulous

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 8:19 am
I use Scottie’s tissues- which are relatively thin and my plumber told me it’s fine.

amother
Red

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 8:25 am
I live in North Miami Beach and most homes here have septic tanks also. Can't flush any tissues.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 8:28 am
amother Yolk wrote:
Yes! When I lived in an apartment building my upstairs neighbor regularly flushed "flushable wipes" and would back up the sewer into MY apartment. She didn't care because she didn't get the mess. The water company constantly needed to come out to unclog the pipes. It's disgusting! Nothing should be flushed besides toilet paper!

Your neighbour utterly failed in 'ben adam le chavero' mitzva

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 8:28 am
amother OP wrote:
Which are the best precuts that most people w septic tanks use on Shabbos?

I live in Jackson and don't use precuts. I've found that the only ones available are the sandpaper ones that you find in commercial buildings and they aren't even marked safe for septic tanks.

We tear our own Charmin toilet paper before Shabbos.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 8:36 am
In all these years no Heimish company thought to make soft precut toilet paper?

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 8:50 am
I have septic and I'm in Lakewood. We can connect to city sewer....when I have a spare 40K in change. At the moment, that is not in my budget.

I have been in my house for 5 1/2 years and BH no issues. We are careful not to flush down tissues, but we use regular Northern bath tissues with no issues, and for Shabbos I've used the precut packages that they sell in the frum store.

We do space out laundry loads, and after a YT or the 9 days or a kid comes home from camp, I just take everything down to the laundromat and do a big huge load, and bring it home to dry or hang, so I get it all done quickly. It's really not such a big deal.

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 9:08 am
Also want to add that the size of the septic tank matters. Not that I have any idea of sizes, but my house was built by a builder for himself, and I was told that he put in a larger size septic tank (every time I get it pumped they comment on that.) So it can hold more BH.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 3:18 pm
amother Babypink wrote:
I live in Lakewood. My entire neighborhood is septic. There is no city sewer to connect to. Yes, you cannot use tissues or flushable wipes. Things must be septic safe or you will clog the system and have a backup. But as long as we are mindful of that we have not had any issues bh! And I do not pay a water or sewer bill😏

What about having to spend $20,000 every 25 years, to redo the septic system?

I heard from an expert that theres no way around it once in 25 years. $20,000.

Amarante

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 3:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
What about having to spend $20,000 every 25 years, to redo the septic system?

I heard from an expert that theres no way around it once in 25 years. $20,000.

That would be the average life - assuming your septic tank is concrete and well maintained

Concrete septic tanks, the most common tank type found today, can last quite a long time. Generally speaking, concrete tank owners don’t need to think about septic tank replacement hassles for about 20 to 30 years. With proper maintenance, a high-quality concrete tank might even last as long as 40 years.

If you want to maximize your septic tank’s lifespan, regular pumping is essential. Contact a professional septic tank service company to pump your tank every 2 to 3 years. When contracting a service company to pump your septic tank, ask them to also inspect your system to look for any potential issues that could require repairs. Identifying and repairing these failures can also help your tank last longer.

In addition to regular pumping, you can also extend the life of your septic tank by being careful about what you flush down the toilet. Items that should never make their way into your septic system include (but aren’t limited to):

Hazardous waste
Disposable diapers
Cat litter
Coffee grounds
Paper towels
Pads or tampons
Cigarette butts
Fat or grease
Paint thinner
Insecticide
Gasoline

Steel septic tanks can corrode and weaken after about 15 years.
The materials a septic tank is made of can greatly impact its lifespan. Older septic systems may have a steel tank. Steel septic tanks have a shorter lifespan than concrete tanks, lasting only about 15 to 20 years. Steel tanks don’t last as long because they can rust, which can cause leaks and failure.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 3:49 pm
Where do low or medium income homeowners come up with the 20,000 for new septic tanks at the 25 or so year mark, when septic tank goes bad?

They certainly cant live without flushing toilets.

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 4:07 pm
With all toilets and some more than others any plumber will tell you not to do this that eventually they cause clog because unlike TP they don’t dissolve
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries