Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Toilets trained 1 yr but no No.2

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 1:38 pm
My 3.5 year old is toilet trained for nearly a year but is terrified to make No.2 she briefly used to when she was toilet trained but then developed a fear and constipated herself. I then tried to use glycerine suppositories but she was so scared when I put it in that I thought I am probably going to give her even more trauma so I didn't use it. She then got in to a habit of constipating herself and only making once a week and screamed when she made even in diapers so I let her make in diapers and hoped to get the fear and and get everything moving easily. She is now making in her diaper once a day or every 2 days without fear but whenever I talk about toilet she says when she will be a mommy. I tried bribing, giving her to watch on the toilet but nothing works. Any ideas??

amother
Daffodil

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 1:49 pm
Ask your doctor but you may want to try a laxative

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 3:00 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
Ask your doctor but you may want to try a laxative

I gave her when she constipated herself but she still had a lot of fear. Now it's already soft and regular but if I try to put her on the toilet then she just closed up and doesn't make for a few days.
She never in her life suffered from constipation and I think that it is in the mind. She is causing from fear

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 3:04 pm
If she is not constipated and seems ok with diapers for now, 3.5 is young enough that I would let it alone for now. Drop the subject. It's very common at this age to make hyperbolic statements like "when I'm a mommy" about when they will do this kind of thing.

A lot of times with little kids, we worry and we think we must do something 'now.' But things change fast. A few months is a very long time for them. If we can wait a little bit, it will happen when it's time.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 3:17 pm
Oh my I just went through this! DS was trained before 3 but would not do #2 on the toilet. He held it in and did it at home in a diaper. At a certain point I tried to force the toilet but he’d just hold it in for days and eventually have an accident. He’s now close to 5 and is finally getting the hang of it. It was a fear thing, he had to get over it. I offered prizes but the main thing was to give him time.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 3:43 pm
Have you tried leaving the diaper on while she sits on the toilet?

amother
Opal

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 4:00 pm
I’m going through this with my four year old (he has some delays, so trained himself for peeing about 2 months ago). He uses the potty beautifully for pee (can wait to use it and rarely had accidents) but will not poop on the potty…he usually goes 1-2 times a day in his underwear (only at home, not a school b”h)

He is just not ready to use the toilet for poop…my hope is that when he’s ready it will be really quick (like it was for peeing). I will ask/encourage and offer rewards, but he’s not interested

Anyway, I found this article to be helpful

https://alphamom.com/parenting.....-kid/

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 4:06 pm
My daughter had this. The constant constipation from it gave her problems. She was put on miralax daily for a few months by her pediatrician. TMI, but it made it so easy and soft that BH she got over the fear. Comes right out and she goes a little bit multiple times a day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics