Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How do you make the most use of Memorial day?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Daisy

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 9:52 am
juggling wrote:
Honestly, because America isn't proud of its military. Most of the US military actions in recent years have been somewhat controversial. America isn't fighting its own battles against its own enemies to protect its own citizens. The average citizen isn't aware of the army and doesn't take pride in it.

Meorial day is not about the current army or military actions. It is about remembering any and all fallen soldiers.
Im sorry but this is a sad and warped view if Im completely honest.

CPenzias

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 9:56 am
juggling wrote:
Honestly, because America isn't proud of its military. Most of the US military actions in recent years have been somewhat controversial. America isn't fighting its own battles against its own enemies to protect its own citizens. The average citizen isn't aware of the army and doesn't take pride in it.

But we can still feel for the soldiers and those who died.

juggling

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 10:15 am
In my experience as an expat American most Americans who aren't directly connected to a fallen soldier don't do anything meaningful to connect to memorial day. I wasn't saying I think it's right, I was just explaining why that reality exists.

Those of you who currently live in the US, am I wrong about the reality on the ground? Do you go to ceremonies to memorialize fallen soldiers? Know many people who do?

I don't remember ever having done anything memorial day related when I lived in the US. And both my grandfathers were army vets from WWII. Quite the opposite: I do have several close relatives who took advantage of the long weekend and got married on memorial day.

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 11:30 am
amother Yellow wrote:
By remembering the fallen soldiers, of course.

LOL

This is so offensive.

Both of my parents volunteered to serve in Vietnam. And my brother went to Annapolis and served afterwards

amother
Daisy

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 11:59 am
juggling wrote:
In my experience as an expat American most Americans who aren't directly connected to a fallen soldier don't do anything meaningful to connect to memorial day. I wasn't saying I think it's right, I was just explaining why that reality exists.

Those of you who currently live in the US, am I wrong about the reality on the ground? Do you go to ceremonies to memorialize fallen soldiers? Know many people who do?

I don't remember ever having done anything memorial day related when I lived in the US. And both my grandfathers were army vets from WWII. Quite the opposite: I do have several close relatives who took advantage of the long weekend and got married on memorial day.

Again, there is abig difference between not doing anything meaningful on the day and laughing at the idea of remembering the fallen soldiers. The poster I replied to literally did that in her reply.

juggling

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 12:09 pm
amother Daisy wrote:
Again, there is abig difference between not doing anything meaningful on the day and laughing at the idea of remembering the fallen soldiers. The poster I replied to literally did that in her reply.

Got it. I was replying to your question as to why Americans don't properly mark the day. I guess I misunderstood your first post to be a question. And then when you replied to me, I thought you were saying that my explanation was offensive. I didn't understand why, as I wasn't justifying it, just explaining how I see it.

I actually understood the other poster who used the laughing emoji, quite differently than you did. I thought she was sarcastically calling out Americans for the fact that they don't properly mark the day. It's an irony that a lot of us who've made aliyah from the US find jarring, compared to Israel's memorial day.

amother
Iris

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 1:33 pm
There's a lovely description of a small American town's commemoration of Memorial Day (it was called Decoration Day, back then, I think because the people would tend to/bring flowers to the graves of fallen soldiers) circa 1910 or so in the book Emily of Deep Valley by Maud Hart Lovelace--all her Deep Valley books were closely based on her actual town/experiences growing up.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 2:31 pm
amother Cherry wrote:
By doing whatever I want at the spur of the moment. This is truly a day off for me to recharge. Kids are in school, I don't need to cook or clean or prep for this day in any way. So I will enjoy my breakfast, instead of grabbing it on the go. I may go shopping for some fun stuff for myself. I may drive to a beautiful park and breathe the fresh air. I may call some friends to see if any are available to catch up with. I will buy a delicious lunch and eat it in peace.

That's the beauty of this day off. I need to do absolutely nothing, and I get to do what I truly want.

I’m doing exactly the same. I work extremely hard during the week, Shavuos prep took a huge toll on me. I just need some quiet me time.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 2:46 pm
Posted a Memorial day meme on instagram. Got my summer skirts out.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 3:06 pm
When I was a kid we used to go to a parade in the next town. Sometimes I take the kids to our town parade. We had plans this morning so we didn't go. Other than that, catching up on laundry.... Determined to get it all put away for once!

saralem

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 3:15 pm
I work way too many hours and welcome the down time today. In my pj’s, slept late, reading, just relaxing. Of course work has called me several times ( needlessly!) but I can deal with that. I’m always trying for a reset, to ease up on the uncompensated extra hours I work, but can’t seem to make it stick.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 3:16 pm
Saralem, what would happen if you would just stop ? Don't answer the phone on your day off, don't work overtime?

New2Lakewood

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 3:48 pm
amother Ebony wrote:
She's an artist is who teaches all sorts of art classes over zoom. She also gives free classes every few months, including this afternoon. Today's class, according to the flyer is geared for ages 9 and up. She's teaching how to draw a character, looks like Laibel from Yossi and Laibel. The class is on Zoom at 4:00 Eastern. Meeting ID: 655-417-0151 password art613. There are only 100 slots for the Zoom.

You can also email MrsNeuhausArt@gmail.com to request a copy of the recording or for more information about her classes.

the meeting id isn't coming up as valid - is there an update? thanks!

amother
Ebony

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 3:54 pm
New2Lakewood wrote:

I don't know, that's the meeting ID from the fliers (and she's used the same code in past classes). Maybe because you were on too early? It for 4pm Eastern.
Worst comes to worst I guess you can just request the recording, but that will probably not come for several more hours.

amother
Tuberose

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 4:43 pm
A regular day except my kids had no transportation and my garbage wasn’t picked up.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 5:47 pm
New2Lakewood wrote:

Did you make sure the password was all lowercase?
If yes, sometimes Zoom just locks people out. But it worked, there were lots of kids on the Zoom.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 3:52 pm
amother Ebony wrote:
She's an artist is who teaches all sorts of art classes over zoom. She also gives free classes every few months, including this afternoon. Today's class, according to the flyer is geared for ages 9 and up. She's teaching how to draw a character, looks like Laibel from Yossi and Laibel. The class is on Zoom at 4:00 Eastern. Meeting ID: 655-417-0151 password art613. There are only 100 slots for the Zoom.

You can also email MrsNeuhausArt@gmail.com to request a copy of the recording or for more information about her classes.

For anyone who is interested, she is giving another art class today for kids, and charging $5 per household. The drawings are usually connected to the day. The class is at 5:00
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics