Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Normal amount to spend on a wardrobe?
Previous  1  2

tichellady

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 1:18 am
I actually need a new wardrobe but can rarely find things I like that fit me and look decent that don't get stained by one of my children immediately. I agree there's no normal. depends on your size and fit needs etc, how much time you have to shop etc. not everyone has hours to spend looking online and dealing with returns etc

amother
DarkRed

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 1:30 am
Whatever is priority for one person, it's might not be priority for another. Within my group of friends, I definitely see that the wealthier ones wear more or less the same clothing year after year ( unless someone is pregnant etc). The ones who have less money, they definitely buy new clothing each season.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 3:59 am
amother DarkRed wrote:
Whatever is priority for one person, it's might not be priority for another. Within my group of friends, I definitely see that the wealthier ones wear more or less the same clothing year after year ( unless someone is pregnant etc). The ones who have less money, they definitely buy new clothing each season.

Interesting why?

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 6:16 am
If someone buys 1k worth of clothing each SEASON (winter, spring, summer, fall), she spends around 4k - 5k each year on her wardrobe? And she is also buying clothing for her husband and kids? What is the family's wardrobe budget per year, and how do she accomplish this on a normal salary? Is she maxing out credit cards? I am asking innocently and curiously, without judgement as I know everyone's life styles have different needs, I just want to understand...

Also, I teach as well, and always have an eye toward rounding out my seasonal wardrobes, but there are MANY pieces that last for 3 - 5 years without looking shabby. For example, all the basics (black a-line and pleated skirts, shells, basic Ts, tops, and cardigans) and because I am already in my forties, I feel some classic pieces as much as 20 (!) years old (like beautiful wool skirts, etc) can be worn with trendier pieces to give an updated, overall beautiful look. But that suits my lifestyle and community, and I dont think we could manage me spending 5k every year on my wardrobe...

dankbar

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 6:42 am
If someone says they are replacing their entire wardrobe every season, what are we talking about like buying 5 new weekday outfits and two shabbos outfits every season or 10-15-20 outfits. Maybe people who buy new stuff every season have a minimal rotation and people that add on 2-3 pieces each season but still wear their old stuff, have a larger rotation so they think of an entire wardrobe of having 15-20 outfits to rotate?

dankbar

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 7:00 am
amother Glitter wrote:
Not only do I have new wardrobe per season every year I have multiple wardrobes as I have my “fat wardrobe” and skinny wardrobe as my weight can fluctuate at least 10lbs within 6 weeks and that’s 2-3 sizes different. I know others who have the same. But I don’t spend more than a thousand dollars per season. I’m a smart online shopper.

I save in my closet, clothes that dont fit me right now, like one size up and one size down, from my current size, for when I lose weight or gain weight or in the process, but I dont understand buying 3 wardrobes each and every season.

salt

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 7:08 am
Silly me thought you wanted to buy an actual new wardrobe, ie a cupboard.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 7:09 am
Yes, we're definitely coming from different worlds.

I generally buy one new top/outfit for Pesach and one for Rosh Hashana. Weekday clothes -- I tend to wear them for a long, long time and replace them as they get worn out, so maybe 2 items a year as well.

Each item costs maybe 15-20 dollars. So less than 100 a year.

I have slightly larger and smaller clothing in storage. Change a size, take out a box! Or clothes hung in the back of my closet.

Do I look trendy? Nope. Do I care? Nope. I have a lot of life priorities that cost money. This is just not one I'm willing to spend money on.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 7:12 am
I guess it boils down to priorities
It's very important to me that I look good as I can , meaning classy ,not old clothing
It helps me be more comfortable and confident

dankbar

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 7:18 am
Someone can buy 10 new tops each season spending $20 each and another person's one top can cost $200 and then if they are buying 10 pieces, it would cost $2000 already.

amother
Skyblue

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 1:13 pm
amother Aubergine wrote:
Interesting why?

Maybe the wealthy buy quality classic styles? Makes sense.

amother
Skyblue

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 1:19 pm
dankbar wrote:
I save in my closet, clothes that dont fit me right now, like one size up and one size down, from my current size, for when I lose weight or gain weight or in the process, but I dont understand buying 3 wardrobes each and every season.

I buy with a bit of room to grow. I wouldn't buy something that wouldn't fit if I gained 10 lb.

I also agree with the poster who wrote that current style is like the last 3 years. I'd say more like 2 maybe, but with some exceptions you won't look outdated.

As a sahm I'm good with 2 going out outfits & like 4 casual. 1-2 casual shabbos & something fancier for weddings. 2 shabbos robes. This is total not what I purchase in 1 season.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics