Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Salary for FT bookkeeper/accountant
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 2:11 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
A touch more - sounds like he needs this job to launch into a Controller position.

So 68? 70? 75?

amother
Yolk

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 2:25 pm
Starting salary at a big 4 company was 70k about 8 years ago when my husband started. These companies notoriously underpay because the learning experience and reputation make up for it. You can go basically anywhere in corporate america with a few years of big 4. I think this is severely underpaid or it's just a tiny company that really cant afford or really need an accountant. I think a more typical expectation would be about 80k.

amother
Lightblue

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 2:27 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
Starting salary at a big 4 company was 70k about 8 years ago when my husband started. These companies notoriously underpay because the learning experience and reputation make up for it. You can go basically anywhere in corporate america with a few years of big 4. I think this is severely underpaid or it's just a tiny company that really cant afford or really need an accountant. I think a more typical expectation would be about 80k.

The job of a 'first year' at a Big 4 is totally different than what this gentleman would be doing.

amother
Lightblue

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 2:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
So 68? 70? 75?

Ask for 70.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 2:34 pm
I would think the job would pay less than a Big 4.

I don’t live in Lakewood, but my child is in a secular, 4 year, brick and mortar university getting a 4+1 MA degree in accounting, and will sit for CPA exam. The salary you quoted seems normal, especially for a non-top (Big 4) accountant firm.

But once again, I don’t like in Lakewood and I am always astounded by what the Sem graduates are making

amother
Lightblue

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 2:36 pm
amother Ivory wrote:
I would think the job would pay less than a Big 4.

I don’t live in Lakewood, but my child is in a secular, 4 year, brick and mortar university getting a 4+1 MA degree in accounting, and will sit for CPA exam. The salary you quoted seems normal, especially for a non-top (Big 4) accountant firm.

But once again, I don’t like in Lakewood and I am always astounded by what the Sem graduates are making

He's not looking to work at an accounting firm.

Public accounting (any size) and inhouse are very different jobs.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 2:40 pm
amother Yolk wrote:

8 years ago was pre-vovid, pre-inflation.
I wonder what starting salary in a Big 4 is now
(He's not looking to Big 4, but I'm curious the salary change in 8 years)

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 2:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
8 years ago was pre-vovid, pre-inflation.
I wonder what starting salary in a Big 4 is now
(He's not looking to Big 4, but I'm curious the salary change in 8 years)

https://I.imgur.com/ZUyy83p.png

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 6:28 pm
I don't know if it's low but I agree that he should be able to find similar or better in Lakewood without the commute. Also, Sage and Excel knowledge are really valuable in accounting. It doesn't sound like this is a first job situation in terms of experience though the job responsibilities may not require much experience and then the pay would be accordingly, but I don't know enough details about the job.

If there is not a specific reason he doesn't want to work in Lakewood, has he tried finding a job through a recruiter or PCS?

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 6:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ok. Changed the title.
Now can I have some answers for salary.

An hour commute. 8:30-5:30. (Friday until 1:30/2:30).

Individual has been working in offices and with Excel for many years. Now has his masters in accounting. The job is in the inhouse bookkeeping department.

Is 64k a good salary? Generous? Underpaid?
Can someone please give me a ballpark.

Its on the low end. As a female ive been offered 70-80k for full time bookkeeping in Lakewood. I have 10 plus years of bookkeeping experience and no degree. Honestly most places are smart enough to understand that experience is more important than a degree so it’s possible thats why I was offered that much. I never took those jobs because I wanted to be available for my family and not have to work all day every day.
Unfortunately men do make more than women (sorry everyone its a fact)

amother
Snow

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 6:58 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
Its on the low end. As a female ive been offered 70-80k for full time bookkeeping in Lakewood. I have 10 plus years of bookkeeping experience and no degree. Honestly most places are smart enough to understand that experience is more important than a degree so it’s possible thats why I was offered that much. I never took those jobs because I wanted to be available for my family and not have to work all day every day.
Unfortunately men do make more than women (sorry everyone its a fact)

I agree it’s on the low end. I’ve been offered 75k for 9:30-2:30. No degree. Just lots of bookkeeping experience

amother
Lotus

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 7:12 pm
I’d say it’s on the low end as it’s about $29.66/hour based on 41.5 hours (1/2 year it’s 41 & 1/2 it’s 42) for 52 weeks. I’d definitely ask for as close as possible to 70k plus travel expenses aka a budget towards gas & tolls.

amother
Seablue

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 7:16 pm
I know someone starting at big 4 now and the salary is 78k, this is straight out of college.

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 10:02 pm
You really can’t compare big 4 to a regular non public accounting job. Big 4 pays more but also comes with more expectations (usually). I’m general public accounting is a whole other animal than private.

You also can’t compare salaries to those without degrees but lots of experience. Those with no degree but have lots of experience will get a nice offer (probably better than the guy fresh out of college with an accounting degree) because the company gets to benefit from their expertise now. However the growth potential is limited. The new accountant may get that lower offer but give it 2/3 years and if he’s good he can really climb the ladder and become a controller or accounting manager and make double or even more. On that note, growth potential is another thing to look at when evaluating a job prospect. Some people don’t care as they plan to bounce once they get the initial year or two of experience but if your husband is the kind of guy that wants to settle in somewhere then make sure it’s a place that he can grow.

You also need to look at the full benefits package. is this company offering health insurance?

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 10:05 pm
amother Snow wrote:
I agree it’s on the low end. I’ve been offered 75k for 9:30-2:30. No degree. Just lots of bookkeeping experience
ok but you will probably never make it to controller where you can earn 150k+ because you don’t have a degree. Op’s husband can make that in 2-4 years if he’s really good. It’s not really a comparison.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 10:41 pm
I know there's a difference in pay in Lakewood vs out of Lakewood but he could probably get $80-90k working in Lakewood with almost no commute.

I literally last week got hired for mid level bookkeeping job (no degree but some college, several years experience) for 9-3 for $65k.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 10:45 pm
People say there's a difference in Lakewood and out of Lakewood.
Does it make a difference if I say that the company is frum (Chassidishe) owned and 50% of the office is frum.
It's located in Newark area near warehouses and as a halfway point between Lakewood, Brooklyn, and Monsey.

amother
Snow

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 10:47 pm
amother NeonPink wrote:
ok but you will probably never make it to controller where you can earn 150k+ because you don’t have a degree. Op’s husband can make that in 2-4 years if he’s really good. It’s not really a comparison.

I went off on my own and making a lot more than that bh!

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 12:32 am
amother IndianRed wrote:
It comes out to $27/hour. Sounds a little low to me but it depends it it’s really a bookkeeper in which case it’s reasonable or more of an assistant controller/controller position in which case it’s low. Either way a first position can be really valuable to gain experience and then jump to a better paying position.
The travel is irrelevant to the employer so that’s not a factor that should be brought up in negotiations.

$27 an hour seems low since this is not his first job ever, just first with a degree.

For reference, my dd just back from sem last June, no degree yet, is getting $25 for accounts receivable in Lakewood. That seems to be the starting salary that all her friends are getting. She's been working since September so a touch over 6 months.

She happens to be working on her BA, but it's not necessary for her job right now..

rmys

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 6:20 am
Amother Lightblue, can you pm me about your son taking exams
thank you
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries