Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Camp counselor pay?
Previous  1  2

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 3:51 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
I’m sorry, what? You asked a question and I answered. I would not have wanted to go to camp the entire summer. I went one half for two summers, and I absolutely hated it. I was thrilled to be able to work. It also gave me some of my own money to spend on myself.
I never said you’re the only one. I said I’ve never heard finances as a reason why kids get a job, and I don’t know anyone who frames it that way to their kids.
A little respect when talking to someone would be nice.

Im sorry you took it that way I’m just confused how you reached the conclusion that I frame it that way to my kids or that I know anyone who would be that blunt. I don’t think I said anything about how I speak to my kids. My thoughts and motivations that I’m sharing with other mothers are very different then what I choose to tell my children.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 4:14 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
I think $75-$100 a week is average
It's ridiculous since the wages haven't gone up in 20 years and you bet camp tuitions have.
It's worse for boys. My son was 15 last year and got $25 a week. He refuses to work this year because he said he felt like a slave

Two of my kids are working in (different) big day camps this summer- one as a JC, and one as a specialty counselor. They're getting paid $150-$175 a month. I'm absolutely disgusted, given the fact that I know what we're paying to send our other kids to these camps. I've seen the cost for sending kids to camp steadily increase, but they haven't increased the amount they pay counselors proportionately. They recommended that they apply for youth corps, which pays a bit, but they didn't let us know until after the deadline.

I won't say anything to my kids. Let them feel good about being productive and bringing in a small income. I just don't know how the camps justify paying them so little.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics