Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Mommy camp nyc
1  2  Next

bzmommy

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 7:08 pm
Doing a mommy camp with girls ages 5, 7, &9.
They like art and crafts, jumping in the pool and indoor trampoline parks and outings
I’m looking for ideas /activities to do and places to go (free or low cost) in nyc area , preferably queens /bk/ Long Island area .
Places to go
Things to do /make
Etc
Fun girls stuff
Also looking to rent a pool or use a pool maybe in the local y.
Open to more ideas of fun!
Tia

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 7:24 pm
bzmommy wrote:
Doing a mommy camp with girls ages 5, 7, &9.
They like art and crafts, jumping in the pool and indoor trampoline parks and outings
I’m looking for ideas /activities to do and places to go (free or low cost) in nyc area , preferably queens /bk/ Long Island area .
Places to go
Things to do /make
Etc
Fun girls stuff
Also looking to rent a pool or use a pool maybe in the local y.
Open to more ideas of fun!
Tia

Call your local public library. With a library card you may be eligible to visit lots of zoos/museums for free

Wednesday 2-4 Staten island zoo is free and you can combine it with Staten island ferry

NY aquarium is free the same time but I think you need to reserve in advance -combine with fun subway ride

Circle line ,beast , intrepid, Ripley's believe it ...

Statue of liberty (reserve now to get to crown statueofliberty.org -this is the legitimate website and I believe if you book thru here you can cancel or change tickets )

Muscoot farm - super interesting free dairy farm

GLUE

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 8:18 pm
Most public library have craft books you can take out for all ages, look through them for ideas.

Years ago I found in the public library a book called the Outer Boro's which had a list of places to go in the outer Boro's, some free some not. See if such a book still exist.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 8:20 pm
Mommy poppins has tons of great ideas

dankbar

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 10:32 pm
There were threads previosly in other years with great ideas

dankbar

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 4:34 am
If you have0 a theme then everything you do gets more exciting

Stars

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 4:51 am
Between carpools has some ideas on the site

syrima

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 5:10 am
Rent a pool on swimply a few times

bzmommy

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 1:08 pm
syrima wrote:
Rent a pool on swimply a few times

Yes was thinking of doing this some weeks

seeker

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 2:17 pm
Bronx zoo general admission is free on Wednesdays.

Museum of natural history is always by "suggested donation" (you can go in for free but I would always give at least a token something), there is a lot to see here so you can spread it out over at least 2 trips, and it's across the street from a nice playground in Central Park.

There are some amaaaazing parks and playgrounds, you can aim to check out at least one cool one per week. Brooklyn Bridge Park is fabulous for kids.

Most children's museums have arts n crafts activities included, and several in the area have either free library passes or certain hours free (Brooklyn children's museum I think was Thursday afternoons but it has been years since my kids were that age so I'm out of date.)

Not free but if your budget allows for an occasional splurge, I feel that the Jewish Children's Museum is worth a visit. It's really beautiful, I think it's a special experience for Jewish kids to see themselves represented in a way other museums never do, and they have great crafts too included with admission.

Look out for street fairs and stuff. When I did mommy camp there was a sheep shearing open house at Leffert's House with free sightseeing and old timey demos like people in costume spinning thread from wool. Pretty sure there are things like this on Long Island too. We also did a street fair by children's museum of the arts where they had a lot of their exhibits and activities out on the street for free. Even with following mommypoppins and such, it's real hashgacha when you learn about these things at the right time to make it - but this is something to aim for.

dankbar

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 2:24 pm
Governors island also free

GLUE

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 9:52 pm
If you have a friend in Staten Island have them see if this place still exists as I have not gone there in almost a decade.

Lemon Creak Park is on the South of the Island.
Take Hylan Blvd. all the way to Seguine Ave., it's also the street that Staten Island hospital south is on.
Go past the hospital until you can't go anymore
You will end up in a parking lot
Next to the parking lot is a playground and a beach
Next to the playground was a bird sanctuary
We would walk through the bird sanctuary and end up in a cove were the only way to get to it was either through the bird sanctuary or the ocean.

My husband and I would take our kids there a lot and never saw anyone else there, we would call it our private beach. I don't know if this place still exist or if it's still very private if you know someone in Staten Island that would check it out maybe, other wise there are plenty of more nicer parks in Staten Island-it's called the Boro of parks for a reason.

bzmommy

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 4:48 am
Thanks for all the ideas .
Will BEzrat Hashem be going to some of these places .
Still working out the pool details
Any girls craft ideas or things to do at home ?
My older daughter is craftsy but I get blank when it comes to ideas. Used to be into fun n crafts before I got busy with mommy life .
Can’t remember anything as my parents have thrown away all my childhood stuff

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 5:11 am
I did mommy camp for several years with my boys when they were similar ages. Places we loved:

Brooklyn bridge park!! We spent hours there ! They have an amazing water play area, sand area and slide area.

They also loved the splash pad at prospect park.

Also, the Coney Island beach has a really cute palm tree sprinkler right off the board walk.

White post farms- not free but there’s a lot of stuff to do there

Kite flying! Buy a few kites on Amazon . And fly at the beach or any other area where there is a breeze .

Buy an ice cream maker and make different kinds of ice cream.

Buy a childrens edible experiment book and do science experiments that you can actually eat.

Go swimming in public pools , many parks have them for free .

amother
Ultramarine

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 5:26 am
bzmommy wrote:
Thanks for all the ideas .
Will BEzrat Hashem be going to some of these places .
Still working out the pool details
Any girls craft ideas or things to do at home ?
My older daughter is craftsy but I get blank when it comes to ideas. Used to be into fun n crafts before I got busy with mommy life .
Can’t remember anything as my parents have thrown away all my childhood stuff

I ordered tons of cheap craft supplies on temu . All looks good

https://www.temu.com/240pcs-mi.....lffhh

https://www.temu.com/arts-and-.....lffhh

https://www.temu.com/5100pcs-c.....lffhh

https://www.temu.com/18-rolls-.....20%20(Flowers)&enable_cache=1&_x_sessn_id=j1y8kmos9p&refer_page_name=search_result&refer_page_id=10009_1686140586765_l378flffhh

https://www.temu.com/12pcs-5d-.....lffhh

dankbar

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 5:39 am
Amazing savings has now beads for necklaces
Jewelry box kit
Play dough ice cream
Kinetic sand

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 6:54 am
I grew up in the 70s
We use to do a lot of hook rugs, simple sewing, stringing beads for bracelets and necklaces, paper clip necklaces and then we wrapped each clip in pretty contact paper strips, crochet headbands.
With simple sewing when I was younger my mom use to cut out a shape, double, and then punch holes all around, easy stitching. This would make a pillow.
I also made a tote bag using towels, and then we used it to go swimming.
Dd use to make things with duck tape.
You can make your own beads using old magazines but it’s very time consuming

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 7:19 am
Another great thing to do is giving them cooking lessons. They can make dinner every day.
Think Junior Chef.

devorah1231

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 7:26 am
There is a park in staten island, really big but if you can figure out which path to take you end up a gorgeous place where kids can safely go into the river wading and climbing on the rocks.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 7:32 am
Diamond painting is nice! You can find ones in the jewish stores like Toys for You that are meant to be sukkah decorations.
Or you can just find nice ones online that they can hang up in their bedroom.

You can also get paint by numbers

Needlepoint is enjoyable also. Some needlepoint stores offer lessons.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps