Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
ADHD inattentive
Previous  1  2

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 11:37 am
From a different perspective -- I have inattentive ADHD. Was only diagnosed as an adult.

I was very bright, so I compensated for it as a kid in school. I "could" have been valedictorian if I only "applied myself" (my mother's and teachers' words), but I was constantly forgetting to do my homework, losing my papers, coming late to class...

It was 100% unintentional. I would try so hard to do everything I was supposed to do, but my brain just didn't work that way.

I am not currently medicated, but as soon as I'm past the childbearing stage, I definitely plan on trying some medicine to see if it helps me function better. I'm almost there and just got diagnosed recently, so it's worth waiting to me, rather than being on meds while pregnant/nursing.

As an adult, it's hard for me to stay on task. I'm constantly foretting what I'm supposed to be doing. I have lists, schedules, alarms for everything...and even then so many things slip through the cracks. It's very hard for me to sit and focus on one thing for a long period of time, but I B"H found a job and a work setup that requires spurts of intense concentration that are broken up by periods of doing other things, so it works for me.

I am a loving mother. I am a person who works on herself to become better. I am a good friend (my friends are so understanding when I totally forget their birthdays, or run late to meet them...they're incredible and "get" me). I am creative. I have a good sense of humor. A good cook. An awful baker. A mediocre singer. I have no sense of fashion, and no sense of direction. And I have ADHD. It's just one of the pieces of me. So no, I won't "grow out of it." I've developed systems that help, but it's still there. And that's okay.

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 3:27 pm
I’m also at a loss on how to go about it with my son. he’s going to sleep away camp for the first time. How will he manage there?? He’s so bad with executive functioning and time management plus….

amother
Lime

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 3:30 pm
The book finally focused has some good biomedical treatment options for inattentive adhd.

Treating subclinical hypothyroid in ds helped a lot with these symptoms also.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 3:37 pm
amother Lime wrote:
The book finally focused has some good biomedical treatment options for inattentive adhd.

How did you treat it?

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 3:37 pm
amother Lime wrote:

I read the book. I tried scheduling an appointment with an integrative dr but they all have long waits. Sad

amother
Lime

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 3:41 pm
amother Watermelon wrote:
I read the book. I tried scheduling an appointment with an integrative dr but they all have long waits. Sad
Can you try anything on your own? B vitamins and l tyrosine are very helpful here.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 3:42 pm
amother Burlywood wrote:
How did you treat it?
Synthroid and cytomel, plus some supplements

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 3:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
Trying to see if this diagnosis makes sense.

Can you describe your child who has adhd-inattentive?
Did you medicate? Did you see that it helped? In which way?

(Please don't comment about other versions of adhd, my child is not impulsive or hyper, so those factors don't come into play.)

My son was diagnosed as a kid. He was a quiet well-behaved kid who had trouble learning. He needed a reading tutor. When he started meds it took a while to find the right one, but the difference was night and day. He is quiet and kind of day-dreamy. He is 18 now and never took honors and AP but got As in school, was accepted to college with a scholarship and got into a good yeshiva.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 4:20 pm
amother Bluebell wrote:
My son was diagnosed as a kid. He was a quiet well-behaved kid who had trouble learning. He needed a reading tutor. When he started meds it took a while to find the right one, but the difference was night and day. He is quiet and kind of day-dreamy. He is 18 now and never took honors and AP but got As in school, was accepted to college with a scholarship and got into a good yeshiva.

Which meds worked for him?

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 5:10 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
Which meds worked for him?

Vyvanse. But every kid is different. This worked for him and didn’t leave him flat.

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 6:31 pm
amother Lime wrote:
Can you try anything on your own? B vitamins and l tyrosine are very helpful here.

I was thinking of trying on my own but I want his blood test to show his levels prior to supplementing, if that makes sense.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 9:55 pm
My son with this diagnosis is on daytrana patch (after a few tries of stimulants that caused gastro issues). School is a struggle although he is quite gright!

amother
Lime

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 11:30 pm
amother Watermelon wrote:
I was thinking of trying on my own but I want his blood test to show his levels prior to supplementing, if that makes sense.
B vitamins levels aren’t very accurate and anyways, the body excretes whatever’s extra. Really no harm in just trying it. I would just caution to start low and slow, some kids are sensitive to methyl’s.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)