Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Agency signed my name on official letter without permission

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 9:08 pm
An agency signed my name on an official letter to the board of Ed without permission. I am furious. And I crazy?

One of my kids are approved for services. I got a letter from the board of Ed that I had to fill out, sign and return before a certain date in order to get services next year.

The agency sent out an explanation email about it and I filled it out and sent it in weeks ago. The agency had been sending me emails though a service in the last 2 weeks before the deadline to submit online. I ignored them because I already sent it in. I couldn't reply that I did it because it's through a service like DocuSign and didn't have a case manager's email attached.

Then I got a pretty strong worded text that they sent me a form and I must complete it ASAP. At this point, I'm getting pretty annoyed because why doesn't someone just ask nicely if it was taken care of before bombarding me. I didn't answer the text, I was in middle of a work meeting.

Then I open my email the next day and see that the agency had a lawyer submitted a version of the letter on my behalf certifying that certain facts are true and they copied me on the submission.

I AM FURIOUS at the chutzpah. Who gave them the power of attorney to write letters on my behalf? It's outrageous! I feel violated and horrified that this kind of fraud can happen just like that in a frum agency! And if they feel so at liberty to do this, what will they sign for me next time?

I have half a mind to reply to the email which was sent to the board of Ed that they didn't have legal rights to sign my name. Let the agency realize that you didn't mess around on something like this. And have to scramble and find documented proof that they had permission to sign all the other letters I'm sure they submitted for other people.

This is how lines get blurred and people end up in jail for fraud! This is not normal!

amother
Gladiolus

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 9:12 pm
As a parent of kids who get services, I agree that this is very upsetting.

But why are you so certain that what they did was fraud? They didn't sign the letter for you. They had a lawyer write a letter certifying that the info in the letter is true. if they signed YOUR name on the bottom of the letter, that would be fraud. But no one signed your name or pretended to be you.

I don't think a lawyer would be dumb enough to do something that could land him in jail. That's why all the agencies have lawyers. To ensure everything they are doing is legal.

Woman of Valor

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 9:37 pm
amother Gladiolus wrote:
As a parent of kids who get services, I agree that this is very upsetting.

But why are you so certain that what they did was fraud? They didn't sign the letter for you. They had a lawyer write a letter certifying that the info in the letter is true. if they signed YOUR name on the bottom of the letter, that would be fraud. But no one signed your name or pretended to be you.

I don't think a lawyer would be dumb enough to do something that could land him in jail. That's why all the agencies have lawyers. To ensure everything they are doing is legal.

Read the title. OP says her signature was used fraudulently.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 9:43 pm
It was signed 'lawyers name on behalf of my name'.
And I never give anybody permission to sign on my behalf.
They assumed permission and then signed it.

I'm a lawyer's daughter. This isn't legal. In order for someone to sign on your behalf, you need to formally give them permission in a written document. Even your husband technically needs permission like that to sign your name.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 9:45 pm
Woman of Valor wrote:
Read the title. OP says her signature was used fraudulently.

I'm confused

In her post, OP said the lawyer submitted a letter on her behalf certifying that certain facts are true. The way I understand that is not that the lawyer signed OP's name, but the lawyer wrote a letter on behalf of OP and signed his/her own name. Meaning the lawyer wrote "I am writing this letter on behalf of Mrs OP to continue student x's services next year"

Maybe OP can clarify what the text of the letter was and whose name was on the bottom

SG18

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 3:11 am
If you filled it out and sent it in, you should have replied that you had taken care of it in the two weeks they were reaching out to you.
A lawyer signing that you wanted services is in line with what you wanted, isn't it?
I'm a little confused with what you wanted to happen.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 3:35 am
I'm sure you signed something when the agency signed you on which gives them the power to have their lawyer act on your/their behalf. I remember something like that from last year when my son got approved.

You can make a stink about it but you'll only be hurting yourself/your child. I mean they literally reached out to you many times and you have many excuses for not signing it. It's really weird IMO.

Also, there is always an option on DocuSign to contact the sender by email. It automatically enters the snail address on a new email when you click on that.

amother
Mimosa

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 6:29 am
amother OP wrote:
An agency signed my name on an official letter to the board of Ed without permission. I am furious. And I crazy?

One of my kids are approved for services. I got a letter from the board of Ed that I had to fill out, sign and return before a certain date in order to get services next year.

The agency sent out an explanation email about it and I filled it out and sent it in weeks ago. The agency had been sending me emails though a service in the last 2 weeks before the deadline to submit online. I ignored them because I already sent it in. I couldn't reply that I did it because it's through a service like DocuSign and didn't have a case manager's email attached.

Then I got a pretty strong worded text that they sent me a form and I must complete it ASAP. At this point, I'm getting pretty annoyed because why doesn't someone just ask nicely if it was taken care of before bombarding me. I didn't answer the text, I was in middle of a work meeting.

Then I open my email the next day and see that the agency had a lawyer submitted a version of the letter on my behalf certifying that certain facts are true and they copied me on the submission.

I AM FURIOUS at the chutzpah. Who gave them the power of attorney to write letters on my behalf? It's outrageous! I feel violated and horrified that this kind of fraud can happen just like that in a frum agency! And if they feel so at liberty to do this, what will they sign for me next time?

I have half a mind to reply to the email which was sent to the board of Ed that they didn't have legal rights to sign my name. Let the agency realize that you didn't mess around on something like this. And have to scramble and find documented proof that they had permission to sign all the other letters I'm sure they submitted for other people.

This is how lines get blurred and people end up in jail for fraud! This is not normal!

Why were you being so passive aggressive? Refusing to respond to them? Just could have gotten in touch to clarify that you sent it in. I’m very confused. Don’t you want these people to work in harmony with you for the benefit of your child?

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 7:40 am
amother Mimosa wrote:
Why were you being so passive aggressive? Refusing to respond to them? Just could have gotten in touch to clarify that you sent it in. I’m very confused. Don’t you want these people to work in harmony with you for the benefit of your child?

This. Maybe learn how DocuSign works before having a temper tantrum. You definitely could have replied that you already took care of it. The agency was trying to get you to sign something that your child needs to continue receiving services and you blew them off, so they took care of it on their own. If you don’t want services, don’t waste everyone’s time and money.

cnc

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 7:45 am
amother Chestnut wrote:
This. Maybe learn how DocuSign works before having a temper tantrum. You definitely could have replied that you already took care of it. The agency was trying to get you to sign something that your child needs to continue receiving services and you blew them off, so they took care of it on their own. If you don’t want services, don’t waste everyone’s time and money.

This. And being that tomorrow is the deadline for you to request services for next year, I can certainly understand why they did it. They were looking out for your child to ensure that he/ she doesn’t lose their services. How are they supposed to know that you took care of it on your own?

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 7:49 am
I mean, you can get all rage-y and tell on the agency that they weren’t above board. But then your child won’t have services. They won’t want to work with you anymore. Or else they will closed down because of your ‘help’.

seeker

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 8:25 am
amother Aquamarine wrote:
I'm sure you signed something when the agency signed you on which gives them the power to have their lawyer act on your/their behalf. I remember something like that from last year when my son got approved.

You can make a stink about it but you'll only be hurting yourself/your child. I mean they literally reached out to you many times and you have many excuses for not signing it. It's really weird IMO.

Also, there is always an option on DocuSign to contact the sender by email. It automatically enters the snail address on a new email when you click on that.

This. If your kid was receiving services through an agency they almost definitely had you sign that they can act on your behalf with the DOE. Feel free to ask them for clarification on this and withdraw your consent if you want but that's part of the process, otherwise they have huge hassles with the kids whose parents are too forgetful/distracted/tech-averse/ whatever to send in the signatures themselves. Been there, done that, lost income, not cool.

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 9:04 am
amother OP wrote:

OP, if I may, can I point out how you wanted the agency to jump through your personally designed hoops? You got multiple email reminders, but you ignored them. In normal circumstances people follow up to inform the sender that you had already sent the info they're waiting for. It's not an unheard of situation where things get misplaced and a quick call/response resolves it. But yet you ignored it for two weeks. Then when the deadline is approaching, they reach out again and you continue to ignore it because you didn't like their tone and the timing wasn't convenient for you.

I'm not condoning the agency signing on your behalf (though most likely you did sign a waiver when you signed up with them), but look at it from their perspective. Imagine if they have other clients like you, where they ignore emails, ignore messages, aren't mindful of approaching deadlines, etc. They probably wouldn't be able to operate unless they have a contingency plan. So hence, their last minute back-up plan to have a lawyer sign off. And imagine if they didn't have any back-up plans, and such clients lose services. These clients would probably be furious, badmouth them and ruin their reputation. They're in a lose-lose situation when clients behave in a manner that you describe above. Having a lawyer sign off (with disclosures) seems to be the better option.

Your responses to this situation was unprofessional and inappropriate. You pushed them to the wall. Can you clarify exactly what you wanted them to do. Did you want them to come by your workplace to get a response from you? Did you want them to do a night visit at your home? Should they have reached out to other family members? Should they have just allowed the services to be potentially dropped (remember that they had no idea that you did send in the application)? How exactly should this scenario have played out in your mind?

amother
Gladiolus

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 9:20 am
I find that so many people love to hate on the agencies (and agency therapists). If you're so unhappy with them, then stop getting therapy from them and go pay for a private therapist where no one will sign anything on your behalf.

But an agency that is literally working on your behalf by being a liaison to the DOE may have to occasionally sign things on your behalf (especially if you ignore them) and it's not fraud. Sorry OP no one is going to jail for this.

And I love how OP disappeared from the thread now that she didn't get the responses she was expecting. I'm sure she though we would all agree with her how terrible and fraudulent those evil agencies are.

content

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 10:42 am
You definitely signed some type of waiver when you signed up for services originally, giving power to their attorney.

They’re not dumb. They won’t risk themselves for your son’s services.

amother
Marigold

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 12:50 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
I don't believe OP didn't know how docusign works. More like she was enjoying the attention from being chased, and needed an excuse for not getting back to them.

octopus

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 1:07 pm
Most likely if you are going through agency it's the enhanced SETSS. And you gave the agency's lawyer permission to speak on your behalf when they sued the DOE for the higher rate.

octopus

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 1:08 pm
content wrote:
You definitely signed some type of waiver when you signed up for services originally, giving power to their attorney.

They’re not dumb. They won’t risk themselves for your son’s services.

This. Exactly.you signed something in the beginning.

amother
Grape

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 1:12 pm
amother OP wrote:

Did that meeting ever end?
Is there some sort of rule that if you don't respond to a text the minute its sent you can't respond an hour later?

locked by request of OP
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics