Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Salary for FT bookkeeper/accountant
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 7:51 am
I work in recruiting in the tristate area so can tell you that $65kish is pretty standard for an entry level Bookkeeper.

If he has never worked as a Bookkeeper (irrelevant of degree or not) he is considered entry level. It does sound like he has a very valuable skill set but he just needs 1-2 years of actual bookkeeping experience on his resume to get a better paying, more local job.

The question is really can he afford to live on that salary, with those hours and commute for a year? potentially longer.

Did he discuss with the company their policy on raises, bonuses and growth within the company?

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 9:56 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
You really can’t compare big 4 to a regular non public accounting job. Big 4 pays more but also comes with more expectations (usually). I’m general public accounting is a whole other animal than private.

You also can’t compare salaries to those without degrees but lots of experience. Those with no degree but have lots of experience will get a nice offer (probably better than the guy fresh out of college with an accounting degree) because the company gets to benefit from their expertise now. However the growth potential is limited. The new accountant may get that lower offer but give it 2/3 years and if he’s good he can really climb the ladder and become a controller or accounting manager and make double or even more. On that note, growth potential is another thing to look at when evaluating a job prospect. Some people don’t care as they plan to bounce once they get the initial year or two of experience but if your husband is the kind of guy that wants to settle in somewhere then make sure it’s a place that he can grow.

You also need to look at the full benefits package. is this company offering health insurance?

Do you know any accountants? Big 4 in general pays less than corporate. You are 'paying' for the 'privilege' of working there and once you have done a few years companies are lining up to hire you. Most companies will pay more but then you are limited in your potential.

I would advise this young man not to take a 'bookkeeping' job if he is an accountant. Take the degree seriously and use it. Dont just take any job that anyone can do. Especially if the pay isn't great and it's a long commute.

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 12:32 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
Do you know any accountants? Big 4 in general pays less than corporate. You are 'paying' for the 'privilege' of working there and once you have done a few years companies are lining up to hire you. Most companies will pay more but then you are limited in your potential.

I would advise this young man not to take a 'bookkeeping' job if he is an accountant. Take the degree seriously and use it. Dont just take any job that anyone can do. Especially if the pay isn't great and it's a long commute.
I am an accountant and I work in private. I have many friends who work in public and private including big 4 and it’s definitely not true to say that big 4 pays less than corporate. In non public accounting the range is huge especially for beginners.
Agreed that if someone has an accounting degree theg should use it and not take a bookkeeping job.

amother
Lightblue

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 12:35 pm
amother NeonPink wrote:
I am an accountant and I work in private. I have many friends who work in public and private including big 4 and it’s definitely not true to say that big 4 pays less than corporate. In non public accounting the range is huge especially for beginners.
Agreed that if someone has an accounting degree theg should use it and not take a bookkeeping job.

This guy is working directly for the CFO. His title could easily be Controller in a couple years.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 4:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
People say there's a difference in Lakewood and out of Lakewood.
Does it make a difference if I say that the company is frum (Chassidishe) owned and 50% of the office is frum.
It's located in Newark area near warehouses and as a halfway point between Lakewood, Brooklyn, and Monsey.

The difference is typically in the benefits. Lakewood companies maybe contribute towards health insurance. Non Lakewood companies will typically provide health insurance, 401k matches, hsa and fsa pretaxed, dental and vision, etc. If those are being offered than the lower salary might be worth it. If it's run like a Lakewood company and has no benefits, he's better on getting $10-20k more in Lakewood without the commute.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries