Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How much to charge for tutoring in Baltimore

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 12:16 am
I was asked by somebody who is moving to town this summer...
husband is a very experienced gemara rebbi tutor and wife is an experienced math teacher and tutor.
How much do people charge in Baltimore for a tutoring session?
Somebody told them $60 an hour but then somebody else told them that was the rate 12 years ago and it must have gone up since then.
Can anyone in the know please weigh in?
thanks

amother
Calendula

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 1:14 am
I charge $75 an hour in Cleveland

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 8:38 am
thanks amother in Cleveland. I appreciate your response.

Anyone know about Baltimore rates too please?

justforfun87

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 8:47 am
I believe I last paid maybe 2-3 years ago a dollar a minute. So yes, $60 for an hour.

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 9:10 am
My husband charges $60 an hour. Also a rebbi in Bmore.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 9:29 am
Thank you. Just wondering if all the above Rebbeim are undercharging Smile
My friend is moving from a community where they were charging way more than that and was hoping that she could charge more.
Is it really possible that everything is going up here, the cost of houses, food, playgroups, etc, but tutors are not putting their prices up? If $60 was the rate 12 years ago, why is it still that rate when the cost of living is so much higher?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 12:54 pm
Bump. can anyone else weigh in please? thanks

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 12:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you. Just wondering if all the above Rebbeim are undercharging Smile
My friend is moving from a community where they were charging way more than that and was hoping that she could charge more.
Is it really possible that everything is going up here, the cost of houses, food, playgroups, etc, but tutors are not putting their prices up? If $60 was the rate 12 years ago, why is it still that rate when the cost of living is so much higher?

Imo Rebbes were not charging $60/hr 12 years ago. Maybe $40. At least in Bmore

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 12:57 pm
And yes, you could probbaly charge more, but my husband doesn't want to personally.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 12:58 pm
amother Honey wrote:
And yes, you could probbaly charge more, but my husband doesn't want to personally.

thanks. do you know how much people charge if they charge more than $60?

amother
Holly

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 1:21 pm
So it can depend on a few factors such as if they can afford to pay more, since some ppl who can afford to pay more will pay a lot more for tutoring services. And, if the tutor has experience or a degree in the subject they're tutoring, they can charge close to double. For example, someone with a degree in math and tutoring math, they can charge much more.

It can vary between $50-120
$50 being for simple tutoring or not too much experience
$120 being for someone very experienced, with a specialty and/or degree in that subject, possibly even college level tutoring

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 1:45 pm
amother Holly wrote:
So it can depend on a few factors such as if they can afford to pay more, since some ppl who can afford to pay more will pay a lot more for tutoring services. And, if the tutor has experience or a degree in the subject they're tutoring, they can charge close to double. For example, someone with a degree in math and tutoring math, they can charge much more.

It can vary between $50-120
$50 being for simple tutoring or not too much experience
$120 being for someone very experienced, with a specialty and/or degree in that subject, possibly even college level tutoring

thanks, is this in Baltimore? do you know of tutors who charge at those higher rates?

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 2:00 pm
I don't know how helpful this is, but I live in Baltimore and tutored until a few years ago. Started maybe 15 years ago and was charging 50 an hour. Raised it to 55 and then I think to 60 for the last little bit. I was tutoring high school girls fwiw. No one blinked an eye at those rates, and I probably could have charged a bit more without a problem. 70 or so?

They can definitely try to charge more and see what happens. If they have a real specialty, or training, it's helpful. Tutoring older kids, or a more specialized subject (e.g., precalc, as opposed to elementary math), would enable you to charge a higher rate.

SAT tutoring or college-level might be over 100, but I don't think anything else would be that high here.

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 2:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
thanks. do you know how much people charge if they charge more than $60?

Probably $70 or $80... I don't know for sure though.

amother
Holly

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 2:55 pm
Yes, with a specialty though- learning disability, GED/SATS, college level, etc.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:16 pm
thanks so much for the responses

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:34 pm
I charge $80 per hour in Baltimore.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 4:15 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
I charge $80 per hour in Baltimore.

thanks. tutoring high school level? colege level?

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 8:24 pm
amother Honey wrote:

And as someone who lives in Baltimore I just want to say thank you to you and your husband for this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics