Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Keeping kids busy at party

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 2:50 pm
Making an anniversary party for my parents (same op from Monsey food thread).

Going to be a party with lots of adults and lots of kids. What can I do to make it enjoyable for the kids? What can I prepare for them to keep them occupied? Adults (siblings) hardly get to see each other and I really want them to not be busy with the kids. I want the kids to also get to spend time together since they live all over American and hardly know each other.

The party is at my parents. They don’t have swings or other such stuff for kids to be busy with. That’s why I’m asking

singleagain

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 2:50 pm
You can hire a clown or a magician or something to have some sort of entertainment for them

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 2:54 pm
Can you hire 2 teenage girls to run a few art projects- maybe a “scrapbook” with pictures and stickers for Bubbie and Zayde?
They can also help the kids make a show for Bubbie and Zayde and some other easy activities.

** eta, really nice if everyone brings printed photos to put in the scrapbook

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 2:54 pm
Apparently food is going g to cost a fortune (I can’t cook bc I’ll flying with only a carryon). So I don’t think k I have any more money to spend on entertainment.

boysrock

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 2:55 pm
Dollar store has great toys and projects they are junk but can really work for a party

singleagain

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 2:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
Apparently food is going g to cost a fortune (I can’t cook bc I’ll flying with only a carryon). So I don’t think k I have any more money to spend on entertainment.

Who's organizing this event? Can everyone chip in a little bit?

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 2:57 pm
How old are the oldest grandchildren? Can they run activities?

How long are your parents married? Is there a VHS of their wedding? Can the kids watch that?

mamabird73

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 2:58 pm
I generally set up an arts and crafts table at events that are geared towards adults/older kids. You can order craft kits from oriental trading or just print some coloring and craft pages online. Another idea I've tried is setting up a bouncy castle either in a separate room or outdoors. I own my own, but if you don't maybe someone in the neighborhood does or you can look into renting one. For my purim seuda this past year, I set up a bouncy house in the basement and a craft table in the main area and we barely saw the kids all seuda Smile

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:04 pm
There is a large range of kids. Oldest is about 14 thru newborn. Lots of wild boys who I have no interest in worrying about a bouncy house with them.. don’t wanna police. Don’t want anyone getting hurt. Not a huge apartment for it either.

Maybe I’ll do crafts and hope the boys go for it

amother
Viola

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:31 pm
This sounds like the kind of party I’d want to get a babysitter for. Either do something to amuse them, or don’t be upset if people don’t want to bring their kids. I would spend the entire time chasing after my brood. I might as well stay home.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:36 pm
Can you get a few of the oldest ones to arrange some games/activities?

amother
Cyclamen

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:41 pm
Buy rent or borrow a moonwalk

DustyDiamonds

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 4:15 pm
Play a video on a large screen for all the kids! Check that the wild boys haven’t seen it yet!

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 4:18 pm
I’ve seen a hired storyteller come to parties, all the kids go off to the side or another room and the guy tells great stories in voices etc, the kids love it! And a great interesting way to keep them entertained
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics