Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Does anyone here work for online tutoring companies?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 12:34 am
I'm looking for remote work to do over the summer. I've seen ads for these things but would love to hear from people who have actually worked for them whether it's worth anything.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 12:35 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm looking for remote work to do over the summer. I've seen ads for these things but would love to hear from people who have actually worked for them whether it's worth anything.

They tend to pay very little compared to typical tutoring rates.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 2:43 am
I'm not able to do typical tutoring at this time, so I'm looking for info about other options. If you've worked for such a company and can share what the process was like and how much they paid, it would be helpful.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 6:19 am
I tutored math for tutor.com for a few years. I usually really enjoyed it, but I stopped like 8 years ago and I think it changed a lot (for the worse) even before that. I lived in Israel at the time but when I told them that they said they don't employ outside the US. So that's when I stopped.

They paid something like $10/hour for time tutoring and $5/hour for time scheduled to tutor and waiting for a kid. They paid more for higher math subjects and less for lower. It was very difficult to get hours on my schedule, especially at the beginning. I think more experienced tutors get to choose hours first. But sometimes not. I'm not sure. And I was looking for AM hours in Israel, so if you're in the US that's different anyway. If you don't have hours, you can "float"- sign in and wait and see if anyone comes.

When someone comes on with a question, it rings and you accept within 10 seconds to tell them you're there. Then they show you the question the kid wrote and you tell them if you accept/reject within 1 minute. (If you can help the kid with this question or not) Then there was an interactive whiteboard you and the kid can draw on and a chat window. When I left they had just started requiring also using audio to speak to the kid. Not sure what they do now.

It was mostly kids with homework questions they were stuck on. We worked through it together. The most annoying times were when the kid wanted me to tell them the answer instead of working it through together, I wouldn't, they left bad feedback, and I got in trouble. But that was only a handful of times and usually the kids were respectful and appreciative and it was a very good experience.

Hope this helps, sorry it's not so up-to-date, and let me know if you have any questions.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 7:56 am
Thank you for sharing your experience!
I wonder what the rates are like now... being able to log in whenever you can rather than commit to a schedule is a huge benefit to me but $5-10 an hour is not even a funny joke.
I also wonder what experienced means - is it how long you've worked for them, or do they count personal experience?

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 8:36 am
OP, it's only worth it if you go directly through a school district and if you're assigned homeschooling students so they have to have a minimum number of hours weekly with you.
With all that it still pays pennies. I do virtual tutoring in Math, Science, SS, and ELA for students in grades 6-10. It pays $43 and change per hour. I come home with about $41 after taxes. The flexibility is great and the online tools are pretty simple to navigate (we use an app called Class Kick so we can correct their "papers" in real time) but it doesn't come close to what in-person tutoring pays. I do it for spare change, literally. You can mute your audio and video while the kid is working on an assignment and cook and serve dinner, fold laundry, and help your own kids with homework. Otherwise it would never be worth it.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 9:41 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you for sharing your experience!
I wonder what the rates are like now... being able to log in whenever you can rather than commit to a schedule is a huge benefit to me but $5-10 an hour is not even a funny joke.
I also wonder what experienced means - is it how long you've worked for them, or do they count personal experience?

Experience was only working for them. It might have gone up to like $14 back then, but not more. It was very not worth it. The $5 is just being signed on and scheduled, but it's only worth it if you have something else to be doing on your computer. Other services probably do pay better, but may require video use. I wasn't interested in that.

amother
Hunter

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 9:48 am
Varsity are easy to work with and pay I think 20 dollars an hour

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 2:26 pm
amother Jade wrote:
OP, it's only worth it if you go directly through a school district and if you're assigned homeschooling students so they have to have a minimum number of hours weekly with you.
With all that it still pays pennies. I do virtual tutoring in Math, Science, SS, and ELA for students in grades 6-10. It pays $43 and change per hour. I come home with about $41 after taxes. The flexibility is great and the online tools are pretty simple to navigate (we use an app called Class Kick so we can correct their "papers" in real time) but it doesn't come close to what in-person tutoring pays. I do it for spare change, literally. You can mute your audio and video while the kid is working on an assignment and cook and serve dinner, fold laundry, and help your own kids with homework. Otherwise it would never be worth it.

$41 an hour for work you can do from home easily on your own schedule is not pennies. Any advice how I can get that kind of work?

Of course it doesn't come close to in-person tutoring because it *isn't* in-person tutoring. They don't need to make it worth my while to get dressed up, travel to them or maintain a space by me, and keep to a schedule in my own time zone (I.e. most people want in-person tutoring exactly when my family needs me the most. I'm not going to find a $150 an hour in-person tutoring client who wants to come to my location in middle of the school/camp day.)

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 7:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
$41 an hour for work you can do from home easily on your own schedule is not pennies. Any advice how I can get that kind of work?

Of course it doesn't come close to in-person tutoring because it *isn't* in-person tutoring. They don't need to make it worth my while to get dressed up, travel to them or maintain a space by me, and keep to a schedule in my own time zone (I.e. most people want in-person tutoring exactly when my family needs me the most. I'm not going to find a $150 an hour in-person tutoring client who wants to come to my location in middle of the school/camp day.)

I got mine on a site called Applitrack where school districts post their openings. There's a huge demand for teachers now. You're not location-specific so check districts all over the US.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 03 2023, 11:16 pm
amother Jade wrote:
I got mine on a site called Applitrack where school districts post their openings. There's a huge demand for teachers now. You're not location-specific so check districts all over the US.

Thank you so much!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 12:17 am
Didn't see anything remote/ online on that site Sad

Does anyone else have leads

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 11:14 pm
bumping
I checked that site and nothing seems remote
anyone have any other leads?
I'd be very interested in online tutoring over the summer as my schedule is more flexible - anyone know how I can make anything decent that way?
I'm certified in both NY and NJ if that helps

mra01385

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 11:53 pm
I just applied to work for Wyzant tutoring. Wyzant.com. It’s tutoring company that matches tutors with students. You create your own personal profile explaining in detail what you’re able to tutor and what your experience is. You set your own hours, pricing and policies. Then you can choose to tutor in person or virtually. You can use their virtual platform or use your own. The only disadvantage is that the company takes a 25% commission out of your tutor rate. You can look for clients or they can contact you. You build yourself up from client reviews. You also have to get approved by the company before you can start looking for clients. Additionally, you have to pass short qualification quizzes for each subject that you want to tutor in. Pm me if have more questions. I know someone that tutored on there before. So it’s a legit place.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 10:16 am
mra01385 wrote:
I just applied to work for Wyzant tutoring. Wyzant.com. It’s tutoring company that matches tutors with students. You create your own personal profile explaining in detail what you’re able to tutor and what your experience is. You set your own hours, pricing and policies. Then you can choose to tutor in person or virtually. You can use their virtual platform or use your own. The only disadvantage is that the company takes a 25% commission out of your tutor rate. You can look for clients or they can contact you. You build yourself up from client reviews. You also have to get approved by the company before you can start looking for clients. Additionally, you have to pass short qualification quizzes for each subject that you want to tutor in. Pm me if have more questions. I know someone that tutored on there before. So it’s a legit place.

Super helpful info! I hope to look into it. What is the average rate of tutoring through this site? Wondering if it's worth it if they take 25 percent

mra01385

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 10:28 am
As I said previously You set your own hours, pricing and policies. Each tutor decides for themselves how much to charge. Can be $30/hr or $100+/hr. Whatever you feel is right based on your credentials and experience. I think it’s worth it cuz you’re gaining experience. You get feedback from the students. You also get students without that much advertising. Highly recommend to check them out
Www.wyzant.com
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics