Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
4 year old dressing alone

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 10:57 am
I need help getting my 4.3 year old to dress himself alone.

We have been practing the last few weeks as summer is coming. I want him to be able to get dressed and undressed for swimming alone. (Teacher will not be able to assist everyone)

He gets really frustrated, complaining and klutzing until the bus is almost here.
I say things like, I will help you with the hard parts (pj tee). I am right here while you do it etc.

Technically he can strip, he's done it before, but lazish about it. He can even do his socks, if he wants to. Tzizes and pants is easy for him. I just have a hard time getting him to start.

Any tips?

amother
Mimosa

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 11:21 am
Joining the club!

SG18

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 11:31 am
Start with pajamas at night. He can go to sleep without pajamas if he really wants to. Once he's doing that on his own, move on to clothing in the morning.

giftedmom

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 12:03 pm
Don’t sweat it. He will learn when he has to, by watching his friends.

amother
Candycane

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 12:05 pm
Yup, peer pressure works here, along with when Morah says something it’s different than when Mommy says it. If he’s physically capable I wouldn’t worry.

amother
Begonia

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 12:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
I need help getting my 4.3 year old to dress himself alone.

We have been practing the last few weeks as summer is coming. I want him to be able to get dressed and undressed for swimming alone. (Teacher will not be able to assist everyone)

He gets really frustrated, complaining and klutzing until the bus is almost here.
I say things like, I will help you with the hard parts (pj tee). I am right here while you do it etc.

Technically he can strip, he's done it before, but lazish about it. He can even do his socks, if he wants to. Tzizes and pants is easy for him. I just have a hard time getting him to start.

Any tips?

My daughter can be like that. I dont think its laziness but more like she starts daydreaming or playing between every step.
I find the best way for us is to make it into a race- who can get dressed the first

BrisketBoss

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 12:07 pm
My suspicion is that it will be fine and you are accomplishing nothing by pushing it in the home setting.

mushkamothers

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 12:35 pm
Lay off the pressure and instead make it matter of fact. If he wants to, he can. If he needs help, you'll help if available. It's a stupid power struggle to start.

Is his clothing accessible in a dresser he can reach? Choose his own clothing? Little hook or spot for his tzitzis? Easy to access hamper to put the dirty clothing into? Enable autonomy.

How friendly are the clothing itself. I don't buy anything with buttons. All shirts are pullover, all pants are legging style, the shoes are velcro.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 12:52 pm
Not all kids at that age can dress themselves. Don’t stress. I was helping my campers till they were even older.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 1:05 pm
Seems like all of you are saying to chill. Ok!

I just lay it out, remind once positively and then help when it gets late.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 2:42 pm
My 7 year old is still like this

flowerpower

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 2:44 pm
I still dress my kids in the am. It’s either that or we miss the bus. The same kids dress themselves after swimming in day camp for a few years already. So yes- chill

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 4:37 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I still dress my kids in the am. It’s either that or we miss the bus. The same kids dress themselves after swimming in day camp for a few years already. So yes- chill

We won't miss the bus bh. I leave to work together with him, so there's no choice. We gotta be ready at 9.

Either way, there's plenty of time. Morning can start as early as 6:30 here. I only prepare clothes after breakfast 8:20/8:30.

SG18

Post Sat, Jun 03 2023, 2:10 pm
I would put the clothing out the night before. Only putting them out at 8:30 adds pressure.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers