Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How to give a newborn a bath?

muss

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 6:35 pm
Any tips on giving a newborn a bath? What’s the best soap/shampoo to use?

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 6:44 pm
Though some newborns are more sensitive than others, it's probably best to use a fragrance-free baby soap/shampoo.

BH Yom Yom

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 6:47 pm
We gave a bath in the sink until DC got too big for it. We use Johnson & Johnson dye-free and fragrance-free shampoo/body wash for sensitive skin.

amother
Tuberose

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 6:51 pm
muss wrote:
Any tips on giving a newborn a bath? What’s the best soap/shampoo to use?

Bathe in either a baby bathtub or in clean sink lined with a towel, wash their full body. People like using a washcloth/mit, I prefer my hands. Exfoliate scalp with a little silicone cradle cap brush- this will help prevent the build-up of dead skin. Mine was under $5 on amazon.
I like the pipette baby wash, available on Amazon. Very gentle on sensitive skin. Slightly on the pricy side, but not majorly expensive. A little goes a long way- my almost 7 month old is still on his 1st bottle. I follow the bath with Aveeno unscented baby lotion on baby's whole body, including scalp and ears. My kids have very dry, sensitive skin, so I usually put a few drops of squalane oil into the bath water (u can use baby oil or coconut oil), and any leftover breastmilk. I give them a quick rinse with clean water at the end of the bath, then follow with lotion.

Rappel

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 6:52 pm
In the sink. Hold baby up under shoulders so he's raised and supported - shift your grip as needed. Cover baby with one cloth diaper so the running water on his skin doesn't surprise or scare him, and so he doesn't feel cold. Use a second cloth diaper with a little baby soap and water to clean all the folds. Remember the scalp, and the neck.

Rinse baby, place on towel next to sink, wrap him, and then carry him off to a comfy spot to massage in lotion and dress him.

gootlfriends

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 7:07 pm
I bought a baby bath that came with a sling that could hold the baby. Well technically my mother bought it but I used it for all 4 kids. I used the bottle the hospital gives out for the perineum to wash the baby. This way I didn't need to regulate the water temperature. Wash cloth for soaping baby's hair if any (mine always do) and cover immediately with a towel. Babies don't retain heat well in the beginning. I would put a diaper on right away because they tend to relieve themselves when cold.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 7:13 pm
Prepare everything before, open the diaper, snaps, unfold the towel, open the soap or get one with a pump.
Wet baby can be slippery. You want everything ready.
I like the kitchen sink until they start kicking and may bump the head.

Put a hat on baby's head. They are cold after and can cry while dressing.

Close ac in the room if you can.

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 7:22 pm
I dont use any soap for a good few months. Their skin is so absorbent and even the clean stuff isn't clean.

amother
Ballota

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 8:02 pm
Pointing out that lining the sink with a towel makes it less slippery.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 1:46 am
Do cleaner areas first than dirty areas (diaper)... I do head last so shouldn't be that freezing

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 3:25 am
I like those bath flowers for babies. They sell them on Amazon and you put it in the sink to make it more comfortable to bathe.

hiitsme

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 5:03 am
I have this type of bath support. It's so easy to use and wash, comfortable for baby and small/easy to store (I just "hang" it on the side of the bathtub! https://www.amazon.com/Kisange.....ss_tl

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 5:40 am
I use a bath seat in the kitchen sink. I don’t use any soap for the first few months. Just warm water is fine. Get all the creases.
I put a folded towel on the counter and have a baby towel ready to wrap her. Do it after a nap and feeding your baby. Keep a hand on their chest so they feel more secure.

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 5:43 am
Temperature is key, it should between 37 and 38 degrees C. You can test it on your elbow if it’s nice warm on your elbow you put baby in it gently. Use soap free baby soap anything will do. We use Naïf brand or Weleda. Then just gently move your baby in the water they all love baths. Make sure you have two hydrophilic clothes (big ones) on the changing pillow and put the wet baby there and you pad baby dry they don’t like it because it’s cold. Dress baby and done.

Tips: make sure the room temperature is at least 19 and that you have clothes wrapped in the warm water bottle. Newborn babies get cold easily make sure you bath baby between two feedings if u feed baby close before a bath baby will throw up. I often fed skin to skin when DS was new born after bath.

ETA. Babies don’t need baths often they need up to 3 times a week is ok. The skin of the baby is fragile and they don’t get that dirty.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 8:33 am
My newborns have sensitive skin, so I've been told to only bathe them once a week.

I hated bathing my first few. Then got this sort of thing, and it's a game changer: https://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-.....ss_tl . Lets you have both hands free to wash baby and keeps baby more secure so you don't have to worry about them slipping from your hands (wet baby skin is very slippery).

Gently wash their face with a washcloth and plain water. Then add a little bit of scent-free baby soap and lather it into the washcloth. Wash from cleanest areas to dirtiest (diaper area last). Make sure to get into the creases of the neck, the arms, the legs. If you don't, gunk starts building up in them and can smell and even make a rash that can eat away at their skin. (Please don't ask how I know this.)

And I agree, the biggest tip I can give you is to get everything you need ready beforehand. Make sure you have a towel, washcloth, diaper, change of clothes, everything all ready. Fill up the bathtub before you get baby ready.

Mazel tov!!

amother
Quince

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 5:53 am
put a washcloth over the baby like a blanket with warm water on it (same temp as bath), out more warm water over periodically, this way they don't get cold.

We bathe baby twice a week, good to wipe down their hands, bottom, face/neck, and hair (if they have a lot) in between.

We use johnson and johnson. No fragrance, no dyes. I wash the baby with my hand both for soap and for water. Use a cup or hand hand showerhead to rinse the hair;

We use the skip hop bather https://www.amazon.com/Skip-Ho.....r=8-1
Can use as a standalone (like a cross between a bath seat and a bath) on counter next to sink, Possibly in the sink if your sink is big enough, on the floor of the shower. Or in a baby bathtub or regular bathtub as a bath seat with water filled in the tub. It has two recline options.

Water should be around body temperature 37-38 degrees (like 98.6-100 farenheit). The room temerature shoudl be very warm, around 24-25 degres celsius (over 75 farenheight)

milkchocolate

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 6:17 am
Johnson and Johnson gives my baby cradle cap. I try and use something organic
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics